Re: Changing Fuel Filters

Staging area for content imported from the old Yahoo group. This forum is LOCKED. Moderators may edit content and relocate to other forums as appropriate.
waltons@ymail.com

Changing Fuel Filters

Post by waltons@ymail.com »

'
Getting ready to change the fuel filters...

I'm looking for some information on the best method for change both the fuel filter and water separator on my 98 Sahara. Been through the files and search the site but I haven't found anything thing regarding a step by step process for changing both of these out.

I know enough to be dangerous - I don't want to air lock my fuel system!  

Question: Can I prime both the filter and separator through the priming pump on the water separator or is their a better way to remove the air out of the system before starting the engine?

Thanks,
Joel Walton
1998 Sahara 3044
Cat 3126 / New Owner'
robert.lewis.tl@gmail.com

Post by robert.lewis.tl@gmail.com »

'Hi Joel
If you prime the filters you want to be very careful. The information I have read indicates that manually priming the filter is not a wise thing to do because you could get foreign particles into the injection system. On my Cat 3126B, the last filter is supposed to be 2 microns, and you can't see this particle size without a microscope. I upgraded my fuel filter system and have changed out the older Winn/Parker filter for the Racor 790R30. I had to pressurize the fuel tank (30psi) to get the fuel into the filter, it wasn't hard but was a pain. If you don't let a lot of air into the inlet line and your filter is below the fuel tank you might not have to do that.
Robert and Bev Lewis2000 Safari Continental, since 20173126B Cat, 330hpMD3060 Allison
https://safaritoonces.org

'
ondaflore

Post by ondaflore »

'Robert,
When you  say "manually priming the filters", you are saying DO NOT pour fuel into the filters before attaching them to the filter holders, which is correct. I just wanted to make it clear to anyone following, that CAT recommends that fuel filters AND the oil filter should be mounted empty.  Contaminants in the oil can wreak havoc with the HEIU fuel injector actuator system.
Bob2001 Zanzibar3126B CAT 330hp

---In Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com, wrote :

Hi Joel
If you prime the filters you want to be very careful. The information I have read indicates that manually priming the filter is not a wise thing to do because you could get foreign particles into the injection system. On my Cat 3126B, the last filter is supposed to be 2 microns, and you can't see this particle size without a microscope. I upgraded my fuel filter system and have changed out the older Winn/Parker filter for the Racor 790R30. I had to pressurize the fuel tank (30psi) to get the fuel into the filter, it wasn't hard but was a pain. If you don't let a lot of air into the inlet line and your filter is below the fuel tank you might not have to do that.
Robert and Bev Lewis2000 Safari Continental, since 20173126B Cat, 330hpMD3060 Allison
https://safaritoonces.org

'