Re: Yahoo Groups Termination: Solution

Staging area for content imported from the old Yahoo group. This forum is LOCKED. Moderators may edit content and relocate to other forums as appropriate.
robert.lewis.tl@gmail.com

Yahoo Groups Termination: Solution

Post by robert.lewis.tl@gmail.com »

'
I did some research into the problem of loosing the site and information and found a system that will work well. I have been able to download all the messages (so far at 20,000+ and counting, 2000 - 2013 as this point in time and it is still running). I will also extract all the photos, links and files once the messages are complete. So here is the summary of what I know at this point.
  1. We will have all of the messages, at this point it looks like nothing will be lost. There are a few messages deleted that were marked as spam or deleted by the (moderator?) but they are few and were not on the Yahoo site anyway.
  2. When this is finished I will post the databases to my Amazon S3 account with a link for those that want to download the messages to a PC.
  3. From what I can see this is a solution for just Windows PC's. But there is a way on Apple to run a Virtual Machine (VM) program and in that VM you can run a windows PC and this software. The VM software is free from Oracle and is called Oracle VM Virtual Box. You can do a search on the net if this interests you.
  4. This would put all the Yahoo information as of today into a database. That information can be exported into a Wordpress or other hosting site, and life should continue on as before.
  5. We have been offered a group discount on the software @ $10.00 down from $24.95. I will in no way get any funds, benefits or free licenses from this purchase. I will receive nothing different than any of the other members.
  6. This software will also 'grab'/import other Facebook Groups, but I haven't looked into that. It will however import more than one group, so if there are other groups you want to get there is no restriction or additional fee. This is a lifetime license as far as I can see.
  7. I will put together a short presentation on this particular software, how to download the database and how to use the program once the imports are complete. The presentation will be as always, found via the link in my signature.
  8. There is no need to use this solution, others may have a different way to do the same thing. But this is the way I have found to preserve all the information that we all critically depend on and this will preclude the loss of any / all information by Yahoo.
  9. It is not wise to think that Yahoo/Verizon will not delete, shutdown and remove all of the access shortly. This is a decision based on revenue and money has no loyalty in the Corporate Tech industry. The server disk space and bandwidth is expensive and it is not generating revenue that matches expenses. This is not the first time Verizon and Facebook and others have done this, they have repeatedly blindsided the users. We would be naive to expect any consideration from them.
Below is a summary of the program.
Robert and Bev Lewis2000 Safari Continental, since 20173126B Cat, 330hpMD3060 Allison
https://safaritoonces.org
Image Image Download all your Yahoo Group Messages, Attachments and Links.
Image Image Download all your Yahoo Group Photos and Files.
Image Image Export your messages as a pipe delimited CSV file in plain text, HTML or as an SQL dump.
Image Image Mark special messages as 'Favourite' so you can find them again easily.
Image Image Sort by author, date, message number, subject, favourite or new status.
Image Image Search messages by author, subject or content even over multiple groups!.
Image Image Save and load search parameters. Save and load search results.
Image Image View only new messages & read them in a digest format.
Image Image See statistics for the group. See how many posts you've made, etc.
'
Craig Burrell

Post by Craig Burrell »

' Wow, your the man of the hour. Thank you for all the work. I hope it all works out like it sounds. Craig93 cont. 8.3  6sp
On ?Thursday?, ?October? ?17?, ?2019? ?01?:?49?:?44? ?PM? ?CDT, robert.lewis.tl@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

I did some research into the problem of loosing the site and information and found a system that will work well. I have been able to download all the messages (so far at 20,000+ and counting, 2000 - 2013 as this point in time and it is still running). I will also extract all the photos, links and files once the messages are complete. So here is the summary of what I know at this point.
  1. We will have all of the messages, at this point it looks like nothing will be lost. There are a few messages deleted that were marked as spam or deleted by the (moderator?) but they are few and were not on the Yahoo site anyway.
  2. When this is finished I will post the databases to my Amazon S3 account with a link for those that want to download the messages to a PC.
  3. From what I can see this is a solution for just Windows PC's. But there is a way on Apple to run a Virtual Machine (VM) program and in that VM you can run a windows PC and this software. The VM software is free from Oracle and is called Oracle VM Virtual Box. You can do a search on the net if this interests you.
  4. This would put all the Yahoo information as of today into a database. That information can be exported into a Wordpress or other hosting site, and life should continue on as before.
  5. We have been offered a group discount on the software @ $10.00 down from $24.95. I will in no way get any funds, benefits or free licenses from this purchase. I will receive nothing different than any of the other members.
  6. This software will also 'grab'/import other Facebook Groups, but I haven't looked into that. It will however import more than one group, so if there are other groups you want to get there is no restriction or additional fee. This is a lifetime license as far as I can see.
  7. I will put together a short presentation on this particular software, how to download the database and how to use the program once the imports are complete. The presentation will be as always, found via the link in my signature.
  8. There is no need to use this solution, others may have a different way to do the same thing. But this is the way I have found to preserve all the information that we all critically depend on and this will preclude the loss of any / all information by Yahoo.
  9. It is not wise to think that Yahoo/Verizon will not delete, shutdown and remove all of the access shortly. This is a decision based on revenue and money has no loyalty in the Corporate Tech industry. The server disk space and bandwidth is expensive and it is not generating revenue that matches expenses. This is not the first time Verizon and Facebook and others have done this, they have repeatedly blindsided the users. We would be naive to expect any consideration from them.
Below is a summary of the program.
Robert and Bev Lewis2000 Safari Continental, since 20173126B Cat, 330hpMD3060 Allison

Image Image Download all your Yahoo Group Messages, Attachments and Links.
Image Image Download all your Yahoo Group Photos and Files.
Image Image Export your messages as a pipe delimited CSV file in plain text, HTML or as an SQL dump.
Image Image Mark special messages as 'Favourite' so you can find them again easily.
Image Image Sort by author, date, message number, subject, favourite or new status.
Image Image Search messages by author, subject or content even over multiple groups!.
Image Image Save and load search parameters. Save and load search results.
Image Image View only new messages & read them in a digest format.
Image Image See statistics for the group. See how many posts you've made, etc.
'
wolfe102001

Post by wolfe102001 »

'Hate to be a "let's plan for the worse and HOPE for the best, but I copied probably the best guy around on converting from Yahoo to another platform and here is his reply to me.
Again, the question, WHY NOT LOOK AT OPTIONS. 

As many of you know, Dianne and I no longer have a Safari-- we are concentrating in international travel-- just returned from a two month/7,500 KM driving trip in Australia.
But, hate to see Safari owners loose this resource.
HIS REPLY:

Sounds like a program I have used (there are actually several), that “scrap” the messages and other files from a Yahoo group.  It simply puts them all in a MS SQL database.    The real work begins when you want to use that on another platform and maintain fully translate it into a real site/forum and not just a bunch of posts that are not linked to a members profile.  There is also the general cleanup of messages, a lot of what is on Yahoo is littered with ads, strange formatting, broken threads etc.  I’ve posted about Yahoo’s algorithms before and how things worked.   Anyway its good they are capturing the data and making it available, what they do with it at that point is up to them.  Members can always purchase the program and have access to the old posts should the site not continue in another format..'

'I finished the download of all the messages, files and photos, there were 36,175 messages going from the present as of today back to 2000. I don't have a count of the files, but these are brochures, jpg and pdf's. I also extracted all the photos. All in total there is about 1.26GB of data, not as much as I thought it would be and that is after 19 years of postings. Therefore a plan that supports 10G or even 2G of data would be lots. We don't need a $2000/year host server agreement.
Next I will post a video on how to use this information on a PC, and upload the files as a zip and include the link in the presentation. This will allow anyone that is interested to search the messages, files and photos on their PC. That is you will have off-line access and a lot better search capabilities then on the web.
Going forward someone can take this archive and setup another site or use another method, but at least the data will not be lost.

'
John Rowin

Post by John Rowin »

' Thanks Robert. You are very talented. 

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone
On Thursday, October 17, 2019, 10:03 PM, robert.lewis.tl@... [Safarifriends] wrote:  
I finished the download of all the messages, files and photos, there were 36,175 messages going from the present as of today back to 2000. I don't have a count of the files, but these are brochures, jpg and pdf's. I also extracted all the photos. All in total there is about 1.26GB of data, not as much as I thought it would be and that is after 19 years of postings. Therefore a plan that supports 10G or even 2G of data would be lots. We don't need a $2000/year host server agreement.
Next I will post a video on how to use this information on a PC, and upload the files as a zip and include the link in the presentation. This will allow anyone that is interested to search the messages, files and photos on their PC. That is you will have off-line access and a lot better search capabilities then on the web.
Going forward someone can take this archive and setup another site or use another method, but at least the data will not be lost.

'
loislop

Post by loislop »

'You are wonderful!  Thanks so much!
Lois

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
-------- Original message --------From: "robert.lewis.tl@... [Safarifriends]" Date: 10/17/19 8:03 PM (GMT-08:00) To: Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com Subject: Re: [Safarifriends] Yahoo Groups Termination: Solution

I finished the download of all the messages, files and photos, there were 36,175 messages going from the present as of today back to 2000. I don't have a count of the files, but these are brochures, jpg and pdf's. I also extracted all the photos. All in total there is about 1.26GB of data, not as much as I thought it would be and that is after 19 years of postings. Therefore a plan that supports 10G or even 2G of data would be lots. We don't need a $2000/year host server agreement.

'

'You are very welcome, my pleasure.
'
Forskay

Post by Forskay »

'Incredible work, Robert. We all use a debt of gratitude. 
Regards,

Kay Betton1998 Sahara3126 Cat
On Oct 17, 2019, at 8:03 PM, robert.lewis.tl@... [Safarifriends] wrote:
?  

'
Mr. G.

Post by Mr. G. »

'

That is awesome news Robert, thank you. RG

Sent from
Mail
for Windows 10

From: Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com on behalf of Forskay forskay@... [Safarifriends]
Sent: Friday, October 18, 2019 12:57:04 AM
To: Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Safarifriends] Yahoo Groups Termination: Solution

Incredible work, Robert. We all use a debt of gratitude. 

Regards,

Kay Betton
1998 Sahara
3126 Cat

?  

I finished the download of all the messages, files and photos, there were 36,175 messages going from the present as of today back to 2000. I don't have a count of the files, but these are brochures, jpg and pdf's. I also extracted all the photos. All in
total there is about 1.26GB of data, not as much as I thought it would be and that is after 19 years of postings.. Therefore a plan that supports 10G or even 2G of data would be lots. We don't need a $2000/year host server agreement.

Next I will post a video on how to use this information on a PC, and upload the files as a zip and include the link in the presentation. This will allow anyone that is interested to search the messages, files and photos on their PC.. That is you will have
off-line access and a lot better search capabilities then on the web.

Robert and Bev Lewis
2000 Safari Continental, since 2017
3126B Cat, 330hp
MD3060 Allison

'
mel96safari

Post by mel96safari »

'Robert and BevThat is news..... which I assume will be GREAT NEWS..(If/when I can learn how to access it).
Mel'96 Safari, (waiting for help from either of my 2 "computer literate" sons).

?  
I finished the download of all the messages, files and photos, there were 36,175 messages going from the present as of today back to 2000. I don't have a count of the files, but these are brochures, jpg and pdf's. I also extracted all the photos. All in total there is about 1.26GB of data, not as much as I thought it would be and that is after 19 years of postings.. Therefore a plan that supports 10G or even 2G of data would be lots. We don't need a $2000/year host server agreement.
Next I will post a video on how to use this information on a PC, and upload the files as a zip and include the link in the presentation. This will allow anyone that is interested to search the messages, files and photos on their PC.. That is you will have off-line access and a lot better search capabilities then on the web.

'