Re: Fuel Gauge Always Reading Past Full

Staging area for content imported from the old Yahoo group. This forum is LOCKED. Moderators may edit content and relocate to other forums as appropriate.
Jumpnjoe59

Fuel Gauge Always Reading Past Full

Post by Jumpnjoe59 »

'Attachments :
  1. [url=file:///D:\---.safari-continental\Safari Friends PG Offline\\full-43381(1).jpg]full-43381(1).jpg[/url]
  1. [url=file:///D:\---.safari-continental\Safari Friends PG Offline\\empty-43381.jpg]empty-43381.jpg[/url]
My fuel gauge started showing way above full all the time.  As soon as I turn the key the fuel gauge reflects over the full pointer.  I remove the gauge from the dash and tested it in a stand alone environment.  The results are attached.  To get the full reading I put 12 vdc as follows pos to the I (input) and neg to G (ground) middle post.  To get the  empty reading I jumped across the S (signal) to the Ground.  
I have attached screen shots of the full and empty readings.  The full is what my fuel gauges looks like all the time in the coach.  
Would this indicate a bad gauge?  There is a resistor between the I and the S don't know what the value should be and if that has gone bad somehow.  Honestly I would love this to be my problem as opposed to dropping the fuel tank and changing the sending unit.  
Joe/1997 Sahara 3550/3126/6 Spd'
Rollin'

Re: Fuel Gauge Always Reading Past Full

Post by Rollin' »

'Joe,
The gauge is good.  You have lost continuity back the sender in the tank.  Low resistance makes the gauge read empty, high resistance (open circuit) makes it read full or full+. The resistor on the back of the gauge is there to calibrate the gauge to match the sender.  Ground the sender line at the sender.  If the gauge stays on full+, the line up to the gauge is open circuit and the sending unit is most likely good.  If the gauge moves to empty, the line is good and the sender is bad.
Bob2001 Z.Huntsville AL

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android'