Re: Assistance on winterizing

Staging area for content imported from the old Yahoo group. This forum is LOCKED. Moderators may edit content and relocate to other forums as appropriate.
prospectorgary

Assistance on winterizing

Post by prospectorgary »

'Hi,
After having my 96 Serengeti since new, I'm faced with winterizing it for the first time.
The fresh water tank is empty, the hot water tank is empty.  Plenty of RV anti freeze on hand.
I assume that I need to flush the plumbing and fill the pipes with anti freeze. 

How is that done?
A step by step would be useful.  And really appreciated !

Thanks guys (and gals), I really appreciate the assistance.
Gary Guinotte96 40' SerengettiPolar bear mural.

'
John Shelton

Post by John Shelton »

' I pump the antifreeze into the fresh water tank and turn on the pump. Turn the faucets on one at a time, wait till the antifreeze come out of hot and cold. Go to next faucet and repeat!
Tony S01 cont panther505 hp

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone
On Thursday, October 24, 2019, 6:58 PM, prospectorgary@... [Safarifriends] wrote:  
Hi,
After having my 96 Serengeti since new, I'm faced with winterizing it for the first time.
The fresh water tank is empty, the hot water tank is empty.  Plenty of RV anti freeze on hand.
I assume that I need to flush the plumbing and fill the pipes with anti freeze. 

How is that done?
A step by step would be useful.  And really appreciated !

Thanks guys (and gals), I really appreciate the assistance.
Gary Guinotte96 40' SerengettiPolar bear mural.

'
prospectorgary

Post by prospectorgary »

'Hi,
Thanks for the info.  A couple of questions:
How do you get the anti-freeze into the tank?  What kind of connection do you use?
How do you get the anti-freeze out of  the lines and sanitize the tank after winterizing?  I know how to empty the tank and water heater, but I'm not certain that just flushing the lines with fresh water is just enought?
Thanks,
Gary96 Safari
'
Craig Burrell

Post by Craig Burrell »

' Flush with water and clorox and about 100 gallons through the pipes cleans great. Have done it 3 years and it work. Good luck.I bought a kit to hook up to the pump that stays inline. Has a hose you put in the gallon of anti freeze and turn the pump on and the valve to the hose. got at local rv store. 
Craig 93 Continental 8.3  6spJuly I am full timing, can not wait.
On Wednesday, October 30, 2019, 02:41:49 AM CDT, prospectorgary@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

Hi,
How do you get the anti-freeze into the tank?  What kind of connection do you use?
How do you get the anti-freeze out of  the lines and sanitize the tank after winterizing?  I know how to empty the tank and water heater, but I'm not certain that just flushing the lines with fresh water is just enought?
Thanks,
Gary96 Safari
'
Gary Smith

Post by Gary Smith »

'Gary,Assume from your question that you were going to put antifreeze into your fresh water lines and into the fresh water tank?  I would suggest not doing that.  Drain all tanks completely, remove the anode rod from your hot water tank and drain it, blow (or suck with wet/dry vacuum) all water out of the lines, with all faucets open.  Don't forget the toilet water line.  Put about a cup of RV safe antifreeze down the drain of both sinks, shower, and into the toilet bowl.  Make sure your water pump is empty. 

Here's a Youtube video for your into:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdLs8kTd26I  
There are lots of others on Youtube.  Basic processes shown will work on most RVs, including your Sahara.
Gary'98 Sahara 3006 300CAT

On Wed, Oct 30, 2019 at 9:00 AM Craig Burrell technolog1@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

Flush with water and clorox and about 100 gallons through the pipes cleans great. Have done it 3 years and it work. Good luck.I bought a kit to hook up to the pump that stays inline. Has a hose you put in the gallon of anti freeze and turn the pump on and the valve to the hose. got at local rv store. 
Craig 93 Continental 8.3  6spJuly I am full timing, can not wait.
On Wednesday, October 30, 2019, 02:41:49 AM CDT, prospectorgary@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

Hi,
Thanks,
Gary96 Safari
--
Gary Smith
ImageImage '
Robert Lewis

Post by Robert Lewis »

' Following on about the antifreeze... I checked the hurricane reservoir in the engine bay and mine has engine antifreeze. Any pin hole  leak into the hot water tank would literally have lethal consequences. Is this normal? I thought I heard that this coolant was not supposed to be engine antfreeze?
But given that the hurrican heater is plumbed through the engine with valves for winter and summer flow I don't know what to make of this. Can someone please explain?
Also for draining the hot water tank, mine has a drain plug, is this also the anode or is this in another place? My drain is over the burner, won't this dump water into the burner? 
Thanks in advance.
Robert and Bev Lewis2000 Safari Continental, since 20173126B Cat, 330hpMD3060 Allison
https://safaritoonces.org
On October 30, 2019 7:08:55 AM "Gary Smith trekker01@... [Safarifriends]" wrote:  
Gary,Assume from your question that you were going to put antifreeze into your fresh water lines and into the fresh water tank?  I would suggest not doing that.  Drain all tanks completely, remove the anode rod from your hot water tank and drain it, blow (or suck with wet/dry vacuum) all water out of the lines, with all faucets open.  Don't forget the toilet water line.  Put about a cup of RV safe antifreeze down the drain of both sinks, shower, and into the toilet bowl.  Make sure your water pump is empty. 

Here's a Youtube video for your into:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdLs8kTd26I  
There are lots of others on Youtube.  Basic processes shown will work on most RVs, including your Sahara.

On Wed, Oct 30, 2019 at 9:00 AM Craig Burrell technolog1@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

Flush with water and clorox and about 100 gallons through the pipes cleans great. Have done it 3 years and it work. Good luck..I bought a kit to hook up to the pump that stays inline. Has a hose you put in the gallon of anti freeze and turn the pump on and the valve to the hose. got at local rv store. 
Craig 93 Continental 8.3  6spJuly I am full timing, can not wait..

Hi,
Thanks,
Gary96 Safari
--
Gary Smith
ImageImage

'
John Shelton

Post by John Shelton »

' I use a small pump with hoses on the intake and outlet, hook the outlet to the fresh water input. I use a 5 gallon bucket to hold the RV antifreeze. Make sure the input is on fill. Once the antifreeze is in the fresh water tank, turn on your water pump and turn on each faucet till pink comes out. 
When I want to flush it I just run clean water in the fresh water tank and keep doing that until I don’t see any foamy water. Some people use bleach water to clean the lines. This is not recommended if you have hydronic type heating.

On Wednesday, October 30, 2019, 8:33 AM, Gary Smith trekker01@... [Safarifriends] wrote:  
Gary,Assume from your question that you were going to put antifreeze into your fresh water lines and into the fresh water tank?  I would suggest not doing that.  Drain all tanks completely, remove the anode rod from your hot water tank and drain it, blow (or suck with wet/dry vacuum) all water out of the lines, with all faucets open.  Don't forget the toilet water line.  Put about a cup of RV safe antifreeze down the drain of both sinks, shower, and into the toilet bowl.  Make sure your water pump is empty. 

Flush with water and clorox and about 100 gallons through the pipes cleans great. Have done it 3 years and it work. Good luck..I bought a kit to hook up to the pump that stays inline. Has a hose you put in the gallon of anti freeze and turn the pump on and the valve to the hose. got at local rv store. 

Hi,
Thanks,
Gary96 Safari
--
Gary Smith
ImageImage
'
mel96safari

Post by mel96safari »

'John S
If bleach is "not recommend if you have hydronic type heating" how do those with hydronic type heating sanitize their fresh water systems?Mel'96 Sahara

---In Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com, wrote :

I use a small pump with hoses on the intake and outlet, hook the outlet to the fresh water input. I use a 5 gallon bucket to hold the RV antifreeze. Make sure the input is on fill. Once the antifreeze is in the fresh water tank, turn on your water pump and turn on each faucet till pink comes out. 
When I want to flush it I just run clean water in the fresh water tank and keep doing that until I don’t see any foamy water. Some people use bleach water to clean the lines. This is not recommended if you have hydronic type heating.
'
Ken Bates

Post by Ken Bates »

' I do as Gary has said above. I do not put any RV antifreeze in my fresh water lines. After draining the fresh water storage and the hot water tanks and taking out the anode from the hot water tank.  I use a compressor and blow out all the lines from the fresh water intakes and from the lines to the fresh water holding tank from the pump and from the pump to the house lines. I start by opening up the shower lines then the bathroom lines including the toilet and then the kitchen lines. I never put antifreeze in the hot water tank and have set up the hot water tank so that I can bypass it for this time of year. Then antifreeze in the sink drains and the shower drain. The most important area to put enough antifreeze is in the black and grey water tanks so that antifreeze, not grey water or any black water content, is against the blade valves on the sewer drains. I did not put enough antifreeze in the tanks one year and had to replace the blade valves the next spring as everything at that far end froze and expanded...not fun. Happy winterizing. Ken'95 Sahara 
On Wednesday, October 30, 2019, 06:30:38 PM PDT, Robert Lewis robert.lewis.tl@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

Following on about the antifreeze... I checked the hurricane reservoir in the engine bay and mine has engine antifreeze. Any pin hole  leak into the hot water tank would literally have lethal consequences. Is this normal? I thought I heard that this coolant was not supposed to be engine antfreeze?
But given that the hurrican heater is plumbed through the engine with valves for winter and summer flow I don't know what to make of this. Can someone please explain?
Also for draining the hot water tank, mine has a drain plug, is this also the anode or is this in another place? My drain is over the burner, won't this dump water into the burner? 
Thanks in advance.
Robert and Bev Lewis2000 Safari Continental, since 20173126B Cat, 330hpMD3060 Allison

On October 30, 2019 7:08:55 AM "Gary Smith trekker01@... [Safarifriends]" wrote:  

Hi,
Thanks,
Gary96 Safari

--
Gary Smith
ImageImage

'
John Shelton

Post by John Shelton »

' I have a Aqua Hot/ Hydro Hot and I know you can’t use the same antifreeze as in a residential boiler or engine antifreeze! I don’t know about your Hurricane heater! I don’t take a chance on my hot tank freezing in mine so I use Rv antifreeze in my whole fresh water system!

On Wednesday, October 30, 2019, 9:44 AM, Robert Lewis robert.lewis.tl@... [Safarifriends] wrote:  
Following on about the antifreeze... I checked the hurricane reservoir in the engine bay and mine has engine antifreeze. Any pin hole  leak into the hot water tank would literally have lethal consequences. Is this normal? I thought I heard that this coolant was not supposed to be engine antfreeze?
Thanks in advance.

Hi,
Thanks,
Gary96 Safari
--
Gary Smith
ImageImage
'