Re: Spam??

Staging area for content imported from the old Yahoo group. This forum is LOCKED. Moderators may edit content and relocate to other forums as appropriate.
mel96safari

Spam??

Post by mel96safari »

'What's with the messages in Portuguese on safarifriends,org?
Mel
'96 Sahara
'
Bill Edwards

Post by Bill Edwards »

'
Wondered the same thing Mel is wondering about. How did he know the language...it he fluent?
Bill Edwards

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad
'
wolfe102001

Post by wolfe102001 »

'Currently 111 SPAM messages on the new forum.
As moderator of several other RV forums, sadly, it has become necessary to put 100% of new members on moderated status.
As soon as you see that it is not SPAM, remove them from moderated status.
YES,  a lot of work, and a sad commentary on today's on-line community.
Have also seen quite a number of them in Cyrillic out of Russia-- 100% SPAM.
'
Bilmac36

Post by Bilmac36 »

'It’s the age of new warfare. Keep up the good work. We appreciate you doing your best to keep it spam free.R/Willie, Connie is ‘95 Continental, 8.3L, Ally 6spd 

Sent from my iPhone
On Nov 5, 2019, at 11:29 AM, bawolfe10@... [Safarifriends] wrote:
?  
Currently 111 SPAM messages on the new forum.
As moderator of several other RV forums, sadly, it has become necessary to put 100% of new members on moderated status.

'
r/Willie
'95 Safari Continental, Cummins 8.3L, Allison MD3060
dewey2501

Post by dewey2501 »

'I noticed that as well, and since I have free time and can check my computer throughout the day, I threw my hat into the ring to see if I could help Mr G and Brian with the site.  I'd love to find the spammers and the robot callers and be able to subject them to being bombarded by their own garbage!
Duane96 Sahara 30', 250hp Cat 3126, Allison 6spdSpokane WA
'
Mr. G.

Post by Mr. G. »

'

I noticed that as well, and since I have free time and can check my computer throughout the day, I threw my hat into the ring to see if I could help Mr G and Brian with the site.  I'd love to find the spammers and the robot callers and be able to subject them to being bombarded by their own garbage!
Duane 96 Sahara 30', 250hp Cat 3126, Allison 6spd Spokane WA

'
mel96safari

Post by mel96safari »

'Não Bill I neither speak or read Portuguese.
Mel
'96 Sahara

---In Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com, wrote :

Wondered the same thing Mel is wondering about. How did he know the language...it he fluent?
Bill Edwards

'
Mr. G.

Post by Mr. G. »

'

Não Bill I neither speak or read Portuguese.
Mel
'96 Sahara

---In Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com, wrote :

Bill Edwards

'
Robert Lewis

Post by Robert Lewis »

' There should be a plug_in with this web host to validate posts against the members list. I think the problem is that there is no authentication on sign up. The sign up process normally sends out an email which is validated using the users email account.
It is not the spam that is the problem... it is the bots adding bogus members and changing the member authority status to 'admin'. Once that happens the hacker can lock out the real admin and invite more bogus members.
The good news is there are solutions but... usually the account must be upgraded from free to a paid subscription service with support. That is how they make revenue... there's no free lunch. 
So maybe we will all have to help out here with a small donation so that this does not fall just on Brian. Just saying...know what I'm saying

Robert and Bev Lewis2000 Safari Continental, since 20173126B Cat, 330hpMD3060 Allison
https://safaritoonces.org

On November 5, 2019 9:28:59 AM "bawolfe10@... [Safarifriends]" wrote:  
Currently 111 SPAM messages on the new forum.

'
lotosrggp1

Post by lotosrggp1 »

'Perhaps that's why my safarifriends.org messages all end up in the spam filter, no matter what I try.
Tom
97 Sahara 3550'