upgrade thermostat Penguin II

Have you made changes to your coach? Improvements? Remodel? New technology? Tell the story and show some pictures here.
Robert K

upgrade thermostat Penguin II

Post by Robert K »

Haven't got it yet but ordered what should replace the old bi-metal thermostat.
Will follow up with report.
got to start posting stuff here instead of Yahoo
Bob
96 Serengeti 37'
3126 Cat
6 speed Allison
2011 jeep wrangler towd
hjw

Re: upgrade thermostat Penguin II

Post by hjw »

I have been thinking about this upgrade as well. What thermostat did you purchase?

Hal
94 Serengeti Duo Door 8.3 Cummins 6 speed Allison trans
94 Serengeti Duo Door
8.3 Cummins 6 speed Allison trans
wolfe10

Post by wolfe10 »

Bob,

Please let us know how well the new thermostat works.

Also, please post a link to the product or manufacturer and part number and any observations on its installation.

Thanks.
Brett and Dianne Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'. Ex 1997 Safari Sahara. Ex 1993 Foretravel U240
Moderator, FMCA Forums 2009-2020
Chairman, FMCA Technical Advisory Committee 2011- 2020
Moderator, http://www.dieselrvclub.org/ (FMCA chapter) 2002-
Robert K

Post by Robert K »

https://www.dyersonline.com/dometic-a-c ... 13397.html

This is supposed to be here Monday. I will let you knowhow it goes.
Bob
96 Serengeti 37'
3126 Cat
6 speed Allison
2011 jeep wrangler towd
RSBILLEDWARDS

Post by RSBILLEDWARDS »

I am in the middle of changing the front AC unit to a Dometic 13K btu and/heat pump. I may have screwed up in changing to Dometic which was not intentional. I ordered a thermostat that I have deemed unusable and will change/return to PPL.

What I did find was the OEM control box as shown in the previous post is in so tight in the Panther 1999 I can not unwire it. I can barely pull it out far enough to get a visual on the schematic at best at an angle. I am hoping it does not take an act of congress to make an effective change

Bill Edwards
1999 SMC Panther
C 12
Safaritoonces

Post by Safaritoonces »

Bill, if you don't need the wiring harness from the old A/C... leave the existing plugs in place and cut the wire harness on the A/C side leaving the original two plugs together. Then make up a new connector on the cut harness using the longer cable. You will have an extra plug/connector in the circuit but that isn't a problem, there is no voltage drop and the old system worked so the connections are good.
Robert and Bev Lewis
2000 Safari Continental, since 2017
3126B Cat, 330hp
MD3060 Allison
Bowen Island, BC

https://safaritoonces.org/
RSBILLEDWARDS

Post by RSBILLEDWARDS »

Think the mystery is solved! First I bought the wrong Penguin II and the associated recommended thermostat. What it all turned out to be was a dual zone, 10 key thermostat and associated electronics, none of which is identified as such in Dometic's literature nor in PPL's. I called Dometic"s support and they were ZERO help. Back to PPL and the tech department. In ten minutes problem solved, apparently they have been here before. Solution: an internal board change in the Penguine II and a single zone thermostat in a kit form, for of course more money $145 delivered. Whoopee on the way to a comfortable ride.
Robert K

Post by Robert K »

That sounds like the kit I have. So far all I have gotten is an e1 code meaning not communicating. So far have not got this resolved.
Bob
96 Serengeti 37'
3126 Cat
6 speed Allison
2011 jeep wrangler towd
RSBILLEDWARDS

Post by RSBILLEDWARDS »

Well not Yet though it looks like the new thermostat will work. It took a lot of effort to get the OE control box out of the hole they tucked it in. I don't know why but finally came out and all the wiring now in front if me. New AC/heat pump arrived today late.