Salon Dinning Light Conversion, Fluorescent to LED

Have you made changes to your coach? Improvements? Remodel? New technology? Tell the story and show some pictures here.
Safaritoonces

Salon Dinning Light Conversion, Fluorescent to LED

Post by Safaritoonces »

The salon light over the dinning table was a 120v fluorescent light and had stopped working at some time past. This presentation shows the conversion from a 120v fluorescent system to a 120v LED bulb system. The standard 120v LED bulbs are inexpensive, can be dimmed if a control is added and are found everywhere. Whereas the TU58 fluorescent style lights use more power, are becoming obsolete and difficult to source. This is a very quick project that can be completed in under 2 hours.

https://safaritoonces.org/project-tree- ... onversion/
Robert and Bev Lewis
2000 Safari Continental, since 2017
3126B Cat, 330hp
MD3060 Allison
Bowen Island, BC

https://safaritoonces.org/
stuplich@ymail.com

Re: Salon Dinning Light Conversion, Fluorescent to LED

Post by stuplich@ymail.com »

Safaritoonces wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:22 pm The salon light over the dinning table was a 120v fluorescent light and had stopped working at some time past. This presentation shows the conversion from a 120v fluorescent system to a 120v LED bulb system. The standard 120v LED bulbs are inexpensive, can be dimmed if a control is added and are found everywhere. Whereas the TU58 fluorescent style lights use more power, are becoming obsolete and difficult to source. This is a very quick project that can be completed in under 2 hours.

Robert
👍
Using 120VAC, 60 watt equivalent, LED bulbs, I similarly converted the original 120V florescent "over the Dinning table light fixture" in my coach.

However while I had it down and apart, (dissembled) I also added 12VDC powered LEDS in the fixture for use when boondocking.
Mel
'96 Sahara 3530, mine since '01
250 hp 3126 Cat, MD3060 Allison
Safaritoonces

Post by Safaritoonces »

Mel, adding the 12v bulbs is a great idea. I have added that to my project list, very smart. Thank you.
Robert and Bev Lewis
2000 Safari Continental, since 2017
3126B Cat, 330hp
MD3060 Allison
Bowen Island, BC

https://safaritoonces.org/
astrnmrtom

Post by astrnmrtom »

Yikes! Finding burnt wiring like that is always scary especially since instead of being mounted to drywall, these fixtures are mounted to a styrofoam ceiling. :shock: For any newbies doing electrical work make sure your wire nut connections are tight, and as mentioned, DON'T nick the wires if you have to re-strip them. In the Safari, I've taken to adding a few wraps of electrical tape around the wire nuts and wire as added protection from vibration loosening the connection over time.

The similar old fixture in my Serengeti didn't even have a mounting plate to act like an electrical box. The wire connections were between the fixture and the ceiling itself. Fortunately my connections were tight and didn't show any signs of heating. My wife hated the looks of the original fixture, so replaced it with a LED surface mount fixture I picked up at Home Deport for about $25 and it works great. What's nice is these new fixtures come in a variety of finishes including polished brass. I noticed they even sell ones now that have a built in nightlight, and the main light can be set to several different color temperatures. Ain't technology wonderful.

Mel, the 12v LEDs are a great idea! I never thought about doing that for boondocking which we will be doing in the future. I've converted all my factory 12v florescent fixtures to LED strips, but it never occurred to me to do something with the fixture over the table. However, with the new LED fixture I may not need to since I've swapped out the RV refrigerator with a residential unit and I'll be running it off the inverter while boondocking and the fixture over the table is on the inverter circuit.

Thanks for sharing these projects. These are basic upgrades just about anyone with simple do-it-yourself skills can do to update these older rigs
Tom and Pris Masterson, w/ Buddy the 18 year old Siamese cat.
1998 Serengeti 3706
300hp Cat 3126, Allison 3060
900 Watts of Solar
17cf, Fisher & Paykel residential Refrigerator
Dragging four telescopes around the US seeking dark skies.
TDJohn

Post by TDJohn »

stuplich@ymail.com wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:33 am
Safaritoonces wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:22 pm The salon light over the dinning table...

Robert
👍
Using 120VAC, 60 watt equivalent, LED bulbs, I similarly converted the original 120V florescent "over the Dinning table light fixture" in my coach.

However while I had it down and apart, (dissembled) I also added 12VDC powered LEDS in the fixture for use when boondocking.
Mel,

Like other have said, this is a great idea, kudos! I'm one of those odd balls who likes the old school incandescent lights, as their color temperature is much gentler on the eyes, especially in the evening, when one is winding down. But, obviously incandescent lights are not friendly to boondocking, so your idea is the perfect solution for my unique needs. Thank you.
For others who boondock a lot, and don't have eyes sensitivity, it would seem to make more sense to just convert the fixture to 12v, that way you don't have to turn the inverter on to use the light.
John
'95 Serengeti, Cummins C8.3-300
Allison 6spd.
stuplich@ymail.com

Post by stuplich@ymail.com »

TDJohn wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:43 pm Mel,
Like other have said, this is a great idea, kudos! I'm one of those odd balls who likes the old school incandescent lights, as their color temperature is much gentler on the eyes, especially in the evening, when one is winding down. But, obviously incandescent lights are not friendly to boondocking, so your idea is the perfect solution for my unique needs. Thank you.
For others who boondock a lot, and don't have eyes sensitivity, it would seem to make more sense to just convert the fixture to 12v, that way you don't have to turn the inverter on to use the light.
John
I agree... and, (contrary to the opinion of many others), I don't believe that the cost vs benefit of replacing working incandescent bulbs with LED bulbs, (especially in the lights powered by the chassis batteries), is worth the time and expense.
Mel
'96 Sahara 3530, mine since '01
250 hp 3126 Cat, MD3060 Allison