Fresh clean air for the engine intake

Have you made changes to your coach? Improvements? Remodel? New technology? Tell the story and show some pictures here.
ProCycle

Fresh clean air for the engine intake

Post by ProCycle »

In the last 5000 miles I've only driven on dirt roads for a total of less than 10 miles. I was shocked a few weeks ago when I pulled out the nearly new air filter and shook nearly a pound of powdery dust out of it. I knew the stock air intake was in the perfect place to capture dust kicked up by the rear tires but I didn't realize how bad it really was. I definitely expect to see a LOT more dirt roads so this week I solved this particular shortcoming of the original design.

Here's what the original intake looks like looking up from the ground. It's under the rear cap to the right of the radiator.

I found these components on eBay and ordered them up.
6 inch duct hose, 4x10x6 register glove, 6-1/2" hole saw, stainless steel wall vent.

I cut and folded the "register glove" to fit over the factory intake box.

It happened to be a perfect fit. It's held with sheet metal screws and silicone glue.

Then the scary part. Cutting a 6-1/2" hole in the side of the rear cap.

Flexible duct attached top and bottom.

I used wire reinforced vinyl duct. I think it will hold up better to vibrations than the aluminum stuff.

Stainless steel exterior cap won't let rainwater into the ducting. Done
Last edited by ProCycle on Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff
1997 Ivory Edition 3740 Cat 3126 Allison
Safaritoonces

Re: Fresh clean air for the engine intake

Post by Safaritoonces »

Nicely done, very professional installation.
Robert and Bev Lewis
2000 Safari Continental, since 2017
3126B Cat, 330hp
MD3060 Allison
Bowen Island, BC

https://safaritoonces.org/
ProCycle

Post by ProCycle »

Thanks!
Jeff
Ahrmless

Post by Ahrmless »

An equal amount is probably going into your radiator.
1999 Safari Sahara
ProCycle

Post by ProCycle »

Ahrmless wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:23 pm An equal amount is probably going into your radiator.
The dust blows right through. It's grass and leaves that create a problem for the radiator.
I've recently inspected the gap between the CAC and radiator and it's nicely clean.
Jeff
05wingrider

Post by 05wingrider »

I can't speak for the others that have done the side fresh air intake, but I know on my 96 I totally removed that plastic air box and have my new line running straight into the airline that goes to the filter. I saw little to no reason to keep the plastic unit - I felt it only increased the resistance in the flow of air (having less plumbing in the lines). Since we don't generally drive in the extremely wet seasons anyhow, the drain cap area below my intake hasn't ever had any water issues, and I've never had water in my filter that I've discovered in our travels. Either way you are getting fresh clean air now versus what's been kicked up by the back tires - which always has to be an improvement!
Duane
96 Sahara 30', 250hp Cat 3126
Allison 6spd MD-3060
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk "Toad"
Spokane WA
ProCycle

Post by ProCycle »

Yeah Duane, I considered tossing the plastic box but after hunting for ducting, couplers and adapters to fit the original tube I realized it would be much simpler and cheaper to fit a register glove directly to the box. Once I had al the parts collected together it only took about about half an hour to put it together. The less time I spend crammed into that rear cavity the better!
Jeff
stuplich@ymail.com

Post by stuplich@ymail.com »

ProCycle wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:49 pm
Ahrmless wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:23 pm An equal amount is probably going into your radiator.
The dust blows right through. It's grass and leaves that create a problem for the radiator.
I've recently inspected the gap between the CAC and radiator and it's nicely clean.
Oil mist and road dust accumulate on/on my 'CAC/radiator sandwich'.
Mel
'96 Sahara 3530, mine since '01
250 hp 3126 Cat, MD3060 Allison
ProCycle

Post by ProCycle »

stuplich@ymail.com wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:12 am Oil mist and road dust accumulate on/on my 'CAC/radiator sandwich'.
Mel, I cut an inspection hole (and made a cover) in the bottom of the radiator shroud. It only take a couple of minutes to pop the cover and look in there to see with my own eyes what's in there.
Here's a pic. No accumulation of oil or dust.

Here's the inspection cap.

Jeff