Ignition fail

Have you made changes to your coach? Improvements? Remodel? New technology? Tell the story and show some pictures here.
rchfisher0242

Ignition fail

Post by rchfisher0242 »

I am buying a 1999 Safari Trek Pathmaker from my cousin. He went to start it up about a week ago to check it out before selling it to me and it started right up after sitting for about a year. But after he shut it off and tried to restart it, it wouldn't start and the gauges aren't coming alive. it seems like it might just be a fuse or something simple. Any suggestions where to start looking for the trouble specific to the igniton system. I'll pass along any suggestions and get with him myself to start familiarizing myself with the RV. Looking forward to getting this amazing vehicle out there!

P.S.

It's a 28 footer but I haven't run across the technical specification like the 2830/2840 just know for sure it's 28' and 1999.
RVTAG.JPG
RVpic.JPG
Richard
71 year old retired refinery operator, guy that married his high school sweetheart and we're coming up on 52 years of being together. I am about to take possession of a 1999 Safari Pathmaker and looking forward to RV traveling.
Robert K

Re: Ignition fail

Post by Robert K »

On mine there is a solenoid on the front firewall that throws power to fuse box that controls the dash cluster.
This is on a pusher is the trek rear engine?
Bob
96 Serengeti 37'
3126 Cat
6 speed Allison
2011 jeep wrangler towd
Mach182

Post by Mach182 »

It looks like it's in nice condition. I bought a 1997 Trek Pathmaker diesel about a month ago (it seemed crazy to buy a modern, poorly-made travel trailer when an old Safari coach costs the same), and have put about 1000 miles on it.
I've noticed that with mine the position of the shift lever is very important. For example, if you shift into what feels like normal reverse, the "Auto-Park" will not release. The light will remain lit, and adding power will feel as though you're pushing against a brake. Shifting back into park or neutral does not fix the problem. I found that there is a sweet spot where the transmission is in reverse, but the lever is near the "R" position on the slide but just a little bit towards the Neutral position. In this position the Auto-Park will release and the vehicle will back normally. It required much cursing to figure out that the problem was switch-positional. It isn't inconvenience now that I know to shift into the specific position. I bought the vehicle from a dealer, so I had no previous owner to explain the vehicle's quirks. The vehicle will also completely shut down on occasion when when shifting from Drive to Park, and the gauges will go dead. It was alarming the first time it happened, but if I turn the ignition to off, ensure the vehicle is fully in park, and then turn the key back on it will start and run normally.
This may or may not help you, but based on my recent experience I would recommend including in your troubleshooting checking the position of the shift lever to ensure the vehicle is fully in Park and well seated in the position prior to turning the key.
You may have already heard this, but that particular engine (6.5 liter) has a history of harmonic balance failure after 100k miles, a problem that may take out the crankshaft with it when it goes. My rig has 122k on it, and it still has the OEM balancer (which is looking pretty rough). I just ordered an upgraded balancer from FluidAmpr through Leroy Diesel and a new pulley to go with it. If yours hasn't been replaced/upgraded, it might be worth considering.
I read that some Trek owners complained about the steering, and describe a bit of wander or sway (especially when the tanks are full, as all three tanks are aft of the rear axle). I saw a few posts recommending replacing the springs and steering bell housing with parts from SuperSteer. When I first drove mine I could see no reason to complain, as it drives very well. Apparently a previous owner had heard the same thing about SuperSteer, because when I climbed under the rig I saw that the OEM spring and air bag have already been replaced with a SuperSteer spring. I don't know how well it handled before, but I can attest that it drives well now.
Good luck! I'm enjoying the Trek. It has great space inside for its small footprint. As you might expect with a vehicle so old, I've been spending a lot of time replacing weatherstripping, re-conditioning rubber seals, etc. This sort of thing is fun as long as you're doing in the driveway or on the RV lot, and not on the side of the road . . .
rchfisher0242

Post by rchfisher0242 »

Robert,

It is a front engine RV. I passed your info onto my cousin. I'll know more once we get it running and get the papers etc. I'll post back here once we find the problem.

Thank you so much

Richard Fisher
71 year old retired refinery operator, guy that married his high school sweetheart and we're coming up on 52 years of being together. I am about to take possession of a 1999 Safari Pathmaker and looking forward to RV traveling.
rchfisher0242

Post by rchfisher0242 »

Mach 182,

Thank you so much, really appreciate the info. I'll pass this along to my cousin who is working to get it running for me. I'm so anxious to get my hands on it and I'll be sure to keep in mind the other heads up you've listed.

Richard