Surge Tanks

Covers engines and transmissions
Trekker01

Surge Tanks

Post by Trekker01 »

Have seen earlier discussions for replacement surge tanks. My Sahara has the original Ford (Motorcraft?) surge tank, which in the Ford world was used on the 1980-2000 (give or take) F600, F70i0, and F800 series medium duty trucks. Ford dealers can get me a plastic replacement just like the original, but there are/were a few sources for suige tanks that were made of either steel or aluminum. One Beaver had made is shown on Amazon, but out of stock and maybe discontinued, or at least no longer available from Beaver. Another out of aluminum apparently made by a radiator shop in Tennessee, and a steel one in Michigan. Pricing seems to run from around $180 for plastic, $231 for aluminum, to something over $400 for steel. Any other options out there?

Has anyone replaced their surge tank (the Ford equivalent) with a metal surge tank in the past couple years, and can comment about their experience with a metal tank, and specifically if the coolant level window is visible from the back end of the coach.
Gary
'98 Sahara 3006 300CAT
Member of SafariFriends since 2000
05wingrider

Re: Surge Tanks

Post by 05wingrider »

Gary,
I know that at least one of the aluminum tanks does NOT have a site glass in it at all, and I don't think the black steel one does either unless it's on the front side and not shown in the pictures I've seen. I know that a view glass is available and the related fitting that it would go into for an aluminum one, but that would require someone able (and willing) to weld the fitting onto the tank. I wish I could help more, but I cheated and had my own tank made from aluminum (and thankfully the local Community College was willing to build it as a class project)
Duane
96 Sahara 30', 250hp Cat 3126
Allison 6spd MD-3060
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk "Toad"
Spokane WA
TDJohn

Post by TDJohn »

05wingrider wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:44 pm Gary,
I know that at least one of the aluminum tanks does NOT have a site glass in it at all, and I don't think the black steel one does either unless it's on the front side and not shown in the pictures I've seen. I know that a view glass is available and the related fitting that it would go into for an aluminum one, but that would require someone able (and willing) to weld the fitting onto the tank. I wish I could help more, but I cheated and had my own tank made from aluminum (and thankfully the local Community College was willing to build it as a class project)
Duane,

I vaguely recall the discussion regarding the site glass a few years back. As far as I can recall, they all had site glasses, but were not shown in some of the photos, because they were mounted on the back side. That said, they were setup where the site glass could be mounted on the front or back, depending the application it was used, hence an F650 or a Safari RV.

Gary,

The conversation was fairly recent regarding the tanks. Ken Bates was looking for one, but I replied a bit too late. I did post a link to the TN shop, I think it is well worth to give them a call, as they is by fare the best price I've seen for an aluminum surge tank. They also often call them coolant tanks and expansion tanks, coolant reservoir tanks and overflow tanks. Using these search words might help you find more options.
John
'95 Serengeti, Cummins C8.3-300
Allison 6spd.
stuplich@ymail.com

Post by stuplich@ymail.com »

05wingrider wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:44 pm Gary,
05wingrider
I know that some of the steel tanks come with 2 bungs, (aka: fittings), installed....one in the front, one in the rear, in which you put the included site glass.
Mel
'96 Sahara 3530, mine since '01
250 hp 3126 Cat, MD3060 Allison
05wingrider

Post by 05wingrider »

Mel (and others)
That's my bad -the tank that I was looking at online clearly doesn't have anything on the side of the surge tank that we would be able to view, and I should have been clearer on that. I don't know why they would make a tank like that anyhow, but they obviously did, and they seem to be very proud of their price on it (I think it was around $400). The steel one I saw didn't have any visible bungs, but that may have been the (poor) quality pictures that I was looking at - again, I don't know why anyone would make something like that with no capability of being able to check fluid level other than take the cap off, but I've ran into a few others lately that were that way - too cheap or lazy to think of it I guess.
Duane
96 Sahara 30', 250hp Cat 3126
Allison 6spd MD-3060
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk "Toad"
Spokane WA
stuplich@ymail.com

05wingrider wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:47 pm Mel (and others)
That's my bad -the tank that I was looking at online clearly doesn't have anything on the side of the surge tank that we would be able to view, and I should have been clearer on that. I don't know why they would make a tank like that anyhow, but they obviously did, and they seem to be very proud of their price on it (I think it was around $400). The steel one I saw didn't have any visible bungs, but that may have been the (poor) quality pictures that I was looking at - again, I don't know why anyone would make something like that with no capability of being able to check fluid level other than take the cap off, but I've ran into a few others lately that were that way - too cheap or lazy to think of it I guess.
05wingrider
Methinks that's because the plastic Ford tanks are somewhat "see through" and the metal tanks are "replacement tanks" for use on certain Ford trucks, (F650s ?)...NOT for our motor homes, (or for any other vehicle), where they are installed BACKWARD... as compared to those used on the Ford trucks.
Mel
1Lotosrggp

Post by 1Lotosrggp »

I asked the good folks at: https://www.fsrproducts.com/shopping/pr ... 71&c=13492 if their tank has a sight glass, their answer:

yes

Sent: Tuesday, February 18, 2020 7:42 PM
Subject: FSR Products - General Information

A MESSAGE FROM

FSR Products

GENERAL INFORMATION

2/19/2020

"Does your surge tank Item # F947A have a sight glass?"

Thomas Speirs

You received this email because of the current notification settings you have configured on FSR Products. To change notifications please login to your account at fsrproducts.com.

HAVE A NICE DAY!
Tom
97 Sahara 3550
3126 CAT 300hp
stuplich@ymail.com

1Lotosrggp wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:11 pm I asked the good folks at: https://www.fsrproducts.com/shopping/pr ... 71&c=13492 if their tank has a sight glass, their answer:yes
Sent: Tuesday, February 18, 2020 7:42 PM
Subject: FSR Products - General Information

A MESSAGE FROM
FSR Products
GENERAL INFORMATION
2/19/2020

"Does your surge tank Item # F947A have a sight glass?"
Thomas Speirs
You received this email because of the current notification settings you have configured on FSR Products. To change notifications please login to your account at fsrproducts.com.
HAVE A NICE DAY!
Thomas Speirs
1.) What metal is that FSR products Item # F947A tank fabricated with, (aka: constructed from)?

2.) Did you ask FSR products if there is a site glass on the side of their #F947A tank visible/usable if/when that tank is used on coaches like ours?

As pictured on their tank in this photo ..the site glass in the right hand side of the #F947A FRS Products tank will ONLY be visible/usable if/when the tank is used on a Ford truck:
FSR Products item # F947A FORD SURGE TANK (F5HT-8A080-HA)
Mel
1Lotosrggp

Post by 1Lotosrggp »

Mel,
I emailed them requesting more information but got silence.
Tom
97 Sahara 3550
3126 CAT 300hp
Knollibe

Post by Knollibe »

I had a surge tank made by a friend. It ran me about $200 when done. Aluminum tube 6” x 28”. With 2 angles to mount on radiator.
Weld on fittings and radiator cap mount. I also have 2 sight glass. I think all fittings from summit.
Currently replacing radiator.

Dwayne
96 Sahara 35’ cat 3126
Attachments
8ED620DC-2FC2-4FB3-968A-35E172A590FA.jpeg
8ED620DC-2FC2-4FB3-968A-35E172A590FA.jpeg (2.64 MiB) Viewed 13824 times
7D571610-3E0B-4022-9646-CF87277F56EC.jpeg
7D571610-3E0B-4022-9646-CF87277F56EC.jpeg (2.22 MiB) Viewed 13824 times
Dwayne
1996 safari Sahara since 2010
Chev Colorado zr2 toad, electric pedego bikes.
3rd motorhome.