Transmission Fluid Change

Covers engines and transmissions
chuckster

Re: Transmission Fluid Change

Post by chuckster »

stuplich@ymail.com wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:19 pm
chuckster wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:53 am I too am about to do a filters/trans fluid change on my Allison MD3060 tranny. Maybe a dumb question but haven’t been under the Zanzibar coach yet...Where is the best place to drain from?

Anyone have a pic with the circles and arrows?? :lol:

Hope you’re all staying healthy!

Chuck
Chuck
You won't find the location of the drain plug, (and/or drain the fluid), unless/until you do get UNDER your Zanzibar.
Haha. Yep, Mel. Planned on doing that. I just got the coach a few weeks ago and have not had to get under there YET. The Transynd and filter kit was on order. I was merely trying to get ahead of the ball by asking knowledgeable owners that know where to point me too\ before the goods arrive. :)

Chuck
Chuck & Mitzi
'01 Safari Zanzibar 3646 (side entry)
Cat 3126B / Allison MD3060
Magnum M-Series "Blue Max" chassis
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland toad
chuckster

Post by chuckster »

stuplich@ymail.com wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:19 pm
chuckster wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:53 am I too am about to do a filters/trans fluid change on my Allison MD3060 tranny. Maybe a dumb question but haven’t been under the Zanzibar coach yet...Where is the best place to drain from?

Anyone have a pic with the circles and arrows?? :lol:

Hope you’re all staying healthy!

Chuck
Chuck
You won't find the location of the drain plug, (and/or drain the fluid), unless/until you do get UNDER your Zanzibar.

Roger that, Mel. I have yet to get underneath the coach as only had it a few weeks. Have my 5 gallons of Transynd and a filter kit, freeze plug and freeze plug grommet/gasket on order and on the way. Was hoping to hear from someone on what to pull to get best drainage.
Chuck & Mitzi
CCaldwell

Post by CCaldwell »

Hi Chuck,
There is a drain plug on the bottom of the case on the Allison 3060. It is easy to ID, It's easy to do the transmission fluid and filter change. Like stated.. follow the instructions in your filter kit. Make sure you have a large enough drain pan.. Lots of fluid.
Colin Caldwell
3126 Cat 3060 Alison
chuckster

Post by chuckster »

CCaldwell wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:51 am Hi Chuck,
There is a drain plug on the bottom of the case on the Allison 3060. It is easy to ID, It's easy to do the transmission fluid and filter change. Like stated.. follow the instructions in your filter kit. Make sure you have a large enough drain pan.. Lots of fluid.
Colin Caldwell
3126 Cat 3060 Alison
Colin,

Thanks for the reply. I plan to change the fluid and filters in a couple of weekends from now. If it is unmistakably the only plug at the bottom of the tranny, no doubt I’ll find it. I have 5 gallons of Transynd waiting in the corner of the garage.

I heard that before you can take the long period of fluid changes with Transynd that you need to change out some of the fluid after the first Transynd exchange. I’ll have to look into how much and at how many miles I suppose.
Chuck & Mitzi
wolfe10

Post by wolfe10 »

chuckster wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:28 pm

I heard that before you can take the long period of fluid changes with Transynd that you need to change out some of the fluid after the first Transynd exchange. I’ll have to look into how much and at how many miles I suppose.
Correct. Until second fluid change with Transynd, just stick with the Dexron change intervals.
Brett and Dianne Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'. Ex 1997 Safari Sahara. Ex 1993 Foretravel U240
Moderator, FMCA Forums 2009-2020
Chairman, FMCA Technical Advisory Committee 2011- 2020
Moderator, http://www.dieselrvclub.org/ (FMCA chapter) 2002-