Transmission Fluid Change

Covers engines and transmissions
CCaldwell

Transmission Fluid Change

Post by CCaldwell »

Hello everyone,
I am about to undertake the job of changing the transmission fluid in my Allison. Just wondering if anybody has any input before I undertake this task. Not sure if I'm going to Change the fluid with the long life fluid or go with the Dextron.
Thank You for any advice,
Colin
97 Sahara 3126 Allison 6 speed.
wolfe10

Re: Transmission Fluid Change

Post by wolfe10 »

Not much more to get the Allison filter kit from an Allison dealer.

And a pail (5 gallons) of Transynd. That will leave you with about a quart left over.

Kit comes with directions. Follow them, particularly about torque on the filter bases.

Not a difficult job.
Brett and Dianne Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'. Ex 1997 Safari Sahara. Ex 1993 Foretravel U240
Moderator, FMCA Forums 2009-2020
Chairman, FMCA Technical Advisory Committee 2011- 2020
Moderator, http://www.dieselrvclub.org/ (FMCA chapter) 2002-
astrnmrtom

Post by astrnmrtom »

If you do the filter change, and double drain and fill with any approved TES 296 synthetic, you'll never have to do it again unless there's a mechanical failure or contamination. Well worth it to me.

I purchased Mobil Delvac 1 ATF from Summit Racing and they ship it for free. Some people can source fluid locally.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mob-122062?rrec=true
Tom and Pris Masterson, w/ Buddy the 18 year old Siamese cat.
1998 Serengeti 3706
300hp Cat 3126, Allison 3060
900 Watts of Solar
17cf, Fisher & Paykel residential Refrigerator
Dragging four telescopes around the US seeking dark skies.
Bilmac36

Post by Bilmac36 »

Colin,
Good morning. Along with what Brett noteded here’s a bit more You May find informative. I have an Allison dealer/shop locally so bought the dual filters as a kit and Transynd directly from them. You will need to get your s/n from the transmission plate. As there are two different lengths of filters, if memory is correct they are either 4” or 6”, shallow or deep casing on the transmission. Allison does Not refer to the bottom of the transmission as a pan, it’s simply part of the transmission housing.
Read the instructions in the filter kit! Depending on the s/n of your transmission Will determine whether you use one of the seals supplied in the kit in the two filter base plate housings. There are two filters, and the older s/n trans do not use a seal on the base plate housing, (the part the filter rest on so you can then insert back up into trans and the secure the bolts.)
Next item you may want to go ahead and do as a preventative step is put a new ‘freeze’ plug in the trans case. What is this? The trans are produced so a dip stick can be utilized from either drvr or psgr side of coach. As such, the hole Opposite the side that doesn’t have the dipstick tube in It Has what is basically a freeze plug. As they age a leak will form and cause us to think worse case scenarios. This is a simple fix. If you don't replace it as a preventative measure then I’d recommend having the part in had as a ready service spare part.
The drain plug is a recessed Allen head drain plug. I’m forgetting the size, but don’t recall it being uncommon.
If your not finding any videos and need a pix or two Let me know I’ll try to up load a few.
One last comment, you’ll have plenty of used transmission fluid. This can be reutilized by putting some of it in a good industrial spray bottle. Works well as a spray for seized nuts and bolts & a rust preventative coating as well as
Regards,
WM, ‘95 Continental, 8.3L Cummins, w/MD3000 series Ally
r/Willie
'95 Safari Continental, Cummins 8.3L, Allison MD3060
astrnmrtom

Post by astrnmrtom »

Bilmac36 wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:36 amOne last comment, you’ll have plenty of used transmission fluid. This can be reutilized by putting some of it in a good industrial spray bottle. Works well as a spray for seized nuts and bolts & a rust preventative coating as well as
Regards,
From what I have read, a 50/50 mix of ATF and acetone will beat any commercial penetrating oil for loosening rusted bolts and nuts. Machinist Workshop Magazine had an article where various penetrating oils were tested under controlled conditions, and these are the results:

PENETRATING OIL - AVERAGE LOAD

None - 516 pounds
WD-40 - 238 pounds
PB B’laster - 214 pounds
Liquid Wrench - 127 pounds
Kano Kroil - 106 pounds
ATF / Acetone Mix - 53 pounds
Tom and Pris Masterson, w/ Buddy the 18 year old Siamese cat.
1998 Serengeti 3706
300hp Cat 3126, Allison 3060
900 Watts of Solar
17cf, Fisher & Paykel residential Refrigerator
Dragging four telescopes around the US seeking dark skies.
CCaldwell

Post by CCaldwell »

Thanks to everyone for the great advice.. going with the transynd and filter kit from Alison .. will have S/N in hand when ordering kit.
Colin
97 Sahara 3126 Alison 6spd
wolfe10

Post by wolfe10 »

SN is on a plate on driver's side of transmission.
Brett and Dianne Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'. Ex 1997 Safari Sahara. Ex 1993 Foretravel U240
Moderator, FMCA Forums 2009-2020
Chairman, FMCA Technical Advisory Committee 2011- 2020
Moderator, http://www.dieselrvclub.org/ (FMCA chapter) 2002-
stuplich@ymail.com

Dipstick hole plug (was: Transmission Fluid Change)

Post by stuplich@ymail.com »

Bilmac36 wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:36 am Colin,
Good morning. Along with what Brett noteded here’s a bit more You May find informative. I have an Allison dealer/shop locally so bought the dual filters as a kit and Transynd directly from them. You will need to get your s/n from the transmission plate. As there are two different lengths of filters, if memory is correct they are either 4” or 6”, shallow or deep casing on the transmission. Allison does Not refer to the bottom of the transmission as a pan, it’s simply part of the transmission housing.
Read the instructions in the filter kit! Depending on the s/n of your transmission Will determine whether you use one of the seals supplied in the kit in the two filter base plate housings. There are two filters, and the older s/n trans do not use a seal on the base plate housing, (the part the filter rest on so you can then insert back up into trans and the secure the bolts.)
Next item you may want to go ahead and do as a preventative step is put a new ‘freeze’ plug in the trans case. What is this? The trans are produced so a dip stick can be utilized from either drvr or psgr side of coach. As such, the hole Opposite the side that doesn’t have the dipstick tube in It Has what is basically a freeze plug. As they age a leak will form and cause us to think worse case scenarios. This is a simple fix. If you don't replace it as a preventative measure then I’d recommend having the part in had as a ready service spare part.
Regards,
The PLUG for the "Vacant Allison Dipstick Hole" is Allison p/n #29530328
The required SEAL is Allison p/n #29546229

NOTE:
It's best to remove & replace that plug while the transmission fluid is DRAINED....If you remove the original plug while the pan is full be prepaired to catch some fliud.
Mel
'96 Sahara 3530, mine since '01
250 hp 3126 Cat, MD3060 Allison
chuckster

Post by chuckster »

I too am about to do a filters/trans fluid change on my Allison MD3060 tranny. Maybe a dumb question but haven’t been under the Zanzibar coach yet...Where is the best place to drain from?

Anyone have a pic with the circles and arrows?? :lol:

Hope you’re all staying healthy!

Chuck
Chuck & Mitzi
'01 Safari Zanzibar 3646 (side entry)
Cat 3126B / Allison MD3060
Magnum M-Series "Blue Max" chassis
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland toad
stuplich@ymail.com

Post by stuplich@ymail.com »

chuckster wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:53 am I too am about to do a filters/trans fluid change on my Allison MD3060 tranny. Maybe a dumb question but haven’t been under the Zanzibar coach yet...Where is the best place to drain from?

Anyone have a pic with the circles and arrows?? :lol:

Hope you’re all staying healthy!

Chuck
Chuck
You won't find the location of the drain plug, (and/or drain the fluid), unless/until you do get UNDER your Zanzibar.
Mel
'96 Sahara 3530, mine since '01
250 hp 3126 Cat, MD3060 Allison