Check engine Light

Covers engines and transmissions
map40

Check engine Light

Post by map40 »

Hi guys. My 2000 Safari Sahara (3126B/3060) is giving me a check engine light when driving. I bought it recently, and when I got on the highway it came on. speed would not go higher than 45MPH, and the light will go off for a second every 10-15 seconds. After an hour, It went out, and the RV took off like a bullet, next thing I knew I was doing 80. Next day I started it worked fine for a few miles, check engine again.
When the engine is idling the light is off. How do I find the code or the problem? Thanks.
Safaritoonces

Re: Check engine Light

Post by Safaritoonces »

This was my first problem, same coach same year. Radiator plugged.

See here under engine overheating...I. would suggest don't go to an RV dealer.

Https://safaritoonces.org
Robert and Bev Lewis
2000 Safari Continental, since 2017
3126B Cat, 330hp
MD3060 Allison
Bowen Island, BC

https://safaritoonces.org/
map40

Post by map40 »

Thanks. I see a lot of fluid movement in the coolant reservoir. It is at level, but it looks like a pump is circulating it really fast. How did you fix it? My temp is normal
Safaritoonces

Post by Safaritoonces »

The circulation is does not reveal anything unless the pump or the belt is gone. It is the temperature of the coolant that is the issue. But if the temperature is 190 to 210 that is normal, getting over 210 is a problem. The engine derates at 230.

I think you need to get a scan gauge tool for a CAT engine. You probably will not want the CAT ET software because of the cost ~$1500. VMSpc will not work for fault codes very well unless the engine is running, and I am not sure it will give all the critical codes... I have this software. I would suggest researching for scan devices for CAT. As per a previous post today someone just paid $450 for a diagnostic scan. That is not even a repair, just a diagnostic scan.
Robert and Bev Lewis
3126B Cat, 330hp
MD3060 Allison
Bowen Island, BC

Safaritoonces

Post by Safaritoonces »

Here is the link to the manual. I have also extracted all the HEUI related posts for the last 20 years.

https://safaritoonces.org/troubleshooti ... es/3126-2/
Robert and Bev Lewis
3126B Cat, 330hp
MD3060 Allison
Bowen Island, BC

map40

Post by map40 »

Thanks!
TDJohn

Post by TDJohn »

Map40,

If your issue is happening without overheating, then it is likely you have another issue. It is possible that you exhaust brake could be hanging up (sticking in the on position), bad batch of fuel, or other issues. I would suggest calling Dave Atherton 605-997-0720. He is a retired but still active CAT Master Troubleshooter. He would very likely be able to help you over they phone, or at least point you in the right direction. If possible, getting your trouble codes from the CAT computer, before you call him, would raise you odds of him being able to help you over the phone.
Let us know how you make out.
John
'95 Serengeti, Cummins C8.3-300
Allison 6spd.
1Lotosrggp

Post by 1Lotosrggp »

The first thing I would check is the thermostat, regulator in CAT talk. They are supposed to be changed out every three years. Mine went bad on the way home about 200 miles out. Cooled down and kept an eye on the temp. The regulator fell apart as I removed it.
Tom
97 Sahara 3550
3126 CAT 300hp
wolfe10

Post by wolfe10 »

Let's be careful about sending the OP down the thermostat (regulator) path UNLESS his de-rate followed excessive coolant temperature. He stated above that coolant temperature was NORMAL when this occurred. Yes, replacing them IS a routine maintenance item and can't hurt to replace them. But, not sure this will fix the root cause of his de-rate.

Absolutely agree that Dave Atherton is THE MAN on Caterpillar engines. A great guy always willing to help.
Brett and Dianne Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'. Ex 1997 Safari Sahara. Ex 1993 Foretravel U240
Moderator, FMCA Forums 2009-2020
Chairman, FMCA Technical Advisory Committee 2011- 2020
Moderator, http://www.dieselrvclub.org/ (FMCA chapter) 2002-
map40

Post by map40 »

Thanks for all the replies. I would say no on the fuel. I drove 80 miles after putting new fuel, new filters and fuel injector cleaner. Not the exhaust brake sounds like a good option. If did act like when you activate the "jake brake" without activating the brake in the allison transmission (don't ask me how I know, is a long story). It was simply not giving me power. It was hanging at 2000 RPM or lower, and the transmission was acting like I was not accelerating. So maybe a loose wire or something like that.