Oil Change

Covers engines and transmissions
astrnmrtom

Re: Oil Change

Post by astrnmrtom »

I used a plastic container I had on hand - A square plastic Parrot food "jar" a little smaller than a gallon milk jug. It had a large screw on lid. I cut a hole in the lid just large enough to fit the slobber tube through, then put a hose clamp below, to hold the lid on the tube. Drilled some holes along the upper side of the jar, tossed an old rag in the bottom and screwed the jar onto the lid. To make sure it wouldn't unscrew and fall on the road I put a sheet metal screw through the side of the lid at the threads. Most people will stick some steel wool in the bottom to help capture the oil in the mist.

Just make sure you leave a gap below the slobber tube so it can breathe.

Some people use copper or pvc tubing and an elbow to extend the slobber tube out the back. If you do make sure it's sloped so any condensation doesn't pool in the tube. The catch can is better if you tow a toad as the extended tube can still spray out a little oil mist over time.
Tom and Pris Masterson, w/ Buddy the 18 year old Siamese cat.
1998 Serengeti 3706
300hp Cat 3126, Allison 3060
900 Watts of Solar
17cf, Fisher & Paykel residential Refrigerator
Dragging four telescopes around the US seeking dark skies.
astrnmrtom

Post by astrnmrtom »

I forgot to add. Many people use a large peanut butter jar or one of those plastic coffee cans with the screw on lid.
Tom and Pris Masterson, w/ Buddy the 18 year old Siamese cat.
1998 Serengeti 3706
300hp Cat 3126, Allison 3060
900 Watts of Solar
17cf, Fisher & Paykel residential Refrigerator
Dragging four telescopes around the US seeking dark skies.
stuplich@ymail.com

Post by stuplich@ymail.com »

astrnmrtom wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:48 pm I used a plastic container I had on hand - A square plastic Parrot food "jar" a little smaller than a gallon milk jug. It had a large screw on lid. I cut a hole in the lid just large enough to fit the slobber tube through, then put a hose clamp below, to hold the lid on the tube. Drilled some holes along the upper side of the jar, tossed an old rag in the bottom and screwed the jar onto the lid. To make sure it wouldn't unscrew and fall on the road I put a sheet metal screw through the side of the lid at the threads. Most people will stick some steel wool in the bottom to help capture the oil in the mist.

Just make sure you leave a gap below the slobber tube so it can breathe.

Some people use copper or pvc tubing and an elbow to extend the slobber tube out the back. If you do make sure it's sloped so any condensation doesn't pool in the tube. The catch can is better if you tow a toad as the extended tube can still spray out a little oil mist over time.
Tom Masterson
IMO a properly extended slobber tube is better because both oily rags and oily steel wool can spontaneously combust.
Mel
'96 Sahara 3530, mine since '01
250 hp 3126 Cat, MD3060 Allison
chuckster

Post by chuckster »

Just curious how often others here change oil and filters. I have a CAT3126B and I put about 5K miles on the coach last season after oil/filters change but I don’t plan to make any long trips this season due to the cost of diesel. I am wondering if I should just check and top off oil if I am going to use the coach less than 1,000 miles this season and then do a full refresh in Spring 2023.

Thoughts on that?

Regards
Chuck & Mitzi
'01 Safari Zanzibar 3646 (side entry)
Cat 3126B / Allison MD3060
Magnum M-Series "Blue Max" chassis
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland toad