Brakes, shocks and struts for 98 Safari Serengeti

Covers engines and transmissions
MermaidMartini

Brakes, shocks and struts for 98 Safari Serengeti

Post by MermaidMartini »

Struggling to get the parts to have maintenance done on the brakes. With all the craziness of the past few years, repair and maintenance are a nightmare. Found someone who can do the work, he has never worked on this make and struggling to find up to date part numbers. Any idea where I can get this information? Thank you!
stuplich@ymail.com

Re: Brakes, shocks and struts for 98 Safari Serengeti

Post by stuplich@ymail.com »

MermaidMartini,
1.) Napa stocks the BRAKE PADS ... (take the old ones with you to the NAPA store).
2.) SHOCKS are available online ... (someone will have to post the correct source and part numbers).
3.) I don't believe there are STRUTS for/on a '98 Serengeti.
Mel
'96 Sahara 3530, mine since '01
250 hp 3126 Cat, MD3060 Allison
TDJohn

Post by TDJohn »

MermaidMartini wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 2:20 pm Struggling to get the parts to have maintenance done on the brakes. With all the craziness of the past few years, repair and maintenance are a nightmare. Found someone who can do the work, he has never worked on this make and struggling to find up to date part numbers. Any idea where I can get this information? Thank you!
For what ever reason, this got cross posted in the chassis section, so here is a copy and paste of my same reply to your question.

In the headline you state that your coach is a '98 Serengeti, then in the post you mention a Sahara, what is the make and model of your coach?

Do you have air ride, leaf spring, or VevetRide rubber torsion spring suspension?

If you have 10 hole wheels, your brake parts are very likely these numbers:

Caliper (NAPA part #) : SE8556 (2.88 inch bore).

Brake pads are NAPA part # UP-7149-M (D236)

Unless your coach is an 8 airbag coach
, the Koni shock numbers are:

Front: 88-1641SP3

Rear: 88-1458SP1

Here is a link to the front shocks. Many places seem out of stock, so they might be phasing this shock out in favor for the expensive EVO99 model. This company has them in stock..

https://supersteerparts.com/products/88 ... coach.html

Here is a link for the lowest price rear shocks:

https://www.shockwarehouse.com/site/pro ... hock-Reyco

Note: With the exception of the 8 airbag air ride coaches, everyone must order their shocks by part numbers posted on this group, NOT by make, model, chassis of your coach, otherwise you WILL end up with the wrong INEFFECTIVE and expensive shocks.
Also, these shocks are adjustable. They come from the factory set at least dampening. It is highly recommended to adjust the shocks to maximum dampening for best results.

If your coach is an 8 airbag coach, let me know and I will get you the proper numbers for the shocks, otherwise use the numbers above...
John
'95 Serengeti, Cummins C8.3-300
Allison 6spd.
Edgarnash

Post by Edgarnash »

I have 1999 Safari Sahara 3506 Velvet Ride the brakes are Dayton from a Ford F700. I got the rotors at O’Reilly Auto parts front #BBR 66839RGS. Caliper # 18-8005. Pads BB2 MKD236. The rear parts I got at Weldon Truck Parts. The caliper # for left is s55252LC, The right # is #S55252RC. The pad set is #MBS236. I had the brake hoses made at Ameriflex Hose & Accessories I got bearing and seals at Inland Truck Parts & Service & FleetPride Truck and Parts.