Tail Pipe, 1998 Sahara 3006, Cat 3126B

Covers engines and transmissions
Trekker01

Tail Pipe, 1998 Sahara 3006, Cat 3126B

Post by Trekker01 »

Wondering if anyone has found a replacement for the original tail pipe since the group moved from Yahoo to this format? I have read the discussions from years back when no one found it, and the solution seemed to be getting one custom built. Most automotive muffler shops don't have ability to custom bend 5" pipe. The end connected to the muffler has a compound 90 degree bend about a foot from the muffler outlet allowing the pipe to clear the generator exhaust, then runs straight out to the side of the coach somewhere between 30 and 36 inches. If custom is the only way to go, what kind of shop should I be looking for. The pipe is clamped to the muffler, so I may be able to remove the whole thing to use as a pattern, if it is not rusted in place. It has rusted through in the bends.

-- Or should I give J-B Weld's Exhaust Weld a try?
Gary
'98 Sahara 3006 300CAT
Member of SafariFriends since 2000
ProCycle

Re: Tail Pipe, 1998 Sahara 3006, Cat 3126B

Post by ProCycle »

5" pipe mandrel bands can be ordered from several internet sellers.
Here's an example --> https://www.summitracing.com/parts/aph-10557
Order whatever bends are needed and have someone cut them and weld them together into the proper shape.
Jeff
1997 Ivory Edition 3740 Cat 3126 Allison
stuplich@ymail.com

Post by stuplich@ymail.com »

Trekker01 wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 1:02 pm Wondering if anyone has found a replacement for the original tail pipe since the group moved from Yahoo to this format? I have read the discussions from years back when no one found it, and the solution seemed to be getting one custom built. Most automotive muffler shops don't have ability to custom bend 5" pipe. The end connected to the muffler has a compound 90 degree bend about a foot from the muffler outlet allowing the pipe to clear the generator exhaust, then runs straight out to the side of the coach somewhere between 30 and 36 inches. If custom is the only way to go, what kind of shop should I be looking for. The pipe is clamped to the muffler, so I may be able to remove the whole thing to use as a pattern, if it is not rusted in place. It has rusted through in the bends.

-- Or should I give J-B Weld's Exhaust Weld a try?
Gary
I Googled "STAINLESS STEEL TUBING NEAR ME", found & bought 3 feet of 5" stainless steel tubing and a 5" 90 degree stainless elbow and I had a METAL FABRICATOR cut and weld it using my rusted through tailpipe as a pattern.
Mel
'96 Sahara 3530, mine since '01
250 hp 3126 Cat, MD3060 Allison
Handlebar Jim

Post by Handlebar Jim »

When the bend in the mine got crushed, a truck parts store had a 5" elbow, and clamps that allowed me join straight part (cut off existing) and muffler to recreate cheaply.
Good luck, Jim