ENGINE OIL AND FILTER RECOMENDATIONS

Covers engines and transmissions
oldcobia

ENGINE OIL AND FILTER RECOMENDATIONS

Post by oldcobia »

I'm doing my oil and filter change in my Safari. I've decided on Rotella T6 oil but have not made up my mind on oil filter. Watched a lot of comparisons on Youtube but still undecided. Any recommendations?
1995 Safari Sahara 35’ 5.9 Cummins MD3060
TDJohn

Re: ENGINE OIL AND FILTER RECOMENDATIONS

Post by TDJohn »

I would highly recommend Fleetguard oil filters for your Cummins. Not only are they a high quality filter, but Cummins uses Fleetguard as their OEM filter.

If your OEM number is Fleetguard LF3000, then the improved and superseded number is LF9009. The LF9009 has two filters in one in it. The regular oil filter and a small high filtration bypass filter. A few years back, when I switched from the LF3000 to the LF9009, I noticed the oil stayed cleaner for a much longer time. Being that your engine is smaller then my Cummins 8.3L, I I don't recall if those two engines use the same size/part number filter, but in any case, I have had a good experience using Fleetguard as my oil, air, and fuel filters...there are decent outfits on the internet, like Moderngroup.com who sell fresh Fleetguard filters at a decent price.
John
'95 Serengeti, Cummins C8.3-300
Allison 6spd.
CactusTwo

Post by CactusTwo »

Older engines do not RESPECT the use of full synthetic oils. They are stuck on old dinosaur/conventional oils. Respect to me means adding an extended time between oil changes. I ended up using Shell RotellaT5 because it was on sale locally at the same as T4 and will change at 5000 miles no matter what. That said, I used Allison Synthetic 295, Dexron 6 for both hydraulic power steering/ brakes and RVA levellers resevoirs, Lucas synthetic hub oil for oil bath front axle and Lucas synthetic for rear end Eaton diff as I don't want to do them regularly as the engine oil.
Len and Brenda Nugent
Alberta, Canada, fulltimers since 2012
1996 Safari Serengeti 3740 front door, bought in Feb 2019
Cat 3126 300hp, Allison MD3060, VelvetRide suspension
sold 2008 GMC Duramax 3500 and 37' Cedar Creek 5th wheel
astrnmrtom

Post by astrnmrtom »

When I bought my rig, I asked the head bus mechanic in our transportation dept what filters he used, and he said Fleetguard. My rig has a Cat, so I'll use Cat filters, but if they aren't available, I'll use Fleetguard.

Shell T-6 is what I use although I've used other oils too. I've been a synthetic guy for years in most of my vehicles but don't extend my intervals. In my rig I prefer synthetic just as added protection for the HUEI pump I feel it's not so much what you use that counts, it's regular oil changes and maintenance that's the key to long engine life.
Tom and Pris Masterson, w/ Buddy the 18 year old Siamese cat.
1998 Serengeti 3706
300hp Cat 3126, Allison 3060
900 Watts of Solar
17cf, Fisher & Paykel residential Refrigerator
Dragging four telescopes around the US seeking dark skies.
oldcobia

Post by oldcobia »

Thanks for the inputs. I went with the Rotella T6 and Mopar filter. My 5.9 called for Fleetguard LF3972 so couldn’t use the better filter as suggested by John. Was told Mopar filters were made on same production line as Fleetguard just branded Mopar. Also engine only has 64k on it so even though it’s a 95 model don’t consider it old. Thanks again
1995 Safari Sahara 35’ 5.9 Cummins MD3060