fuel filters?

Covers engines and transmissions
RSR7447

fuel filters?

Post by RSR7447 »

Is Fleetguard FF5324 a good second choice for Cat 1R0751. They claim to be 2 micron. I realize things have gone up since my last purchase, but checking online for the Cat filter and they are twice the price of the Fleetguard. Anyone have a good source for the CAT filter with a reasonable price?.
astrnmrtom

Re: fuel filters?

Post by astrnmrtom »

With filters, like oil, you'll find various opinions. Some say Cat only, others are ok with non cat filters provided the specs are right. If I can't get Cat filters I'll use Fleetguard. I worked next door to our transportation department and they used Fleetguard on their buses. The head mechanic frequently had lunch with us, and he said he Fleetguard was good. I figured if the guy who maintained 30 buses was ok with them, I would be too. My Safari was our first diesel rig, so I always took advantage of his knowledge and advice. He was one of those people who worked to very high standards. He was meticulous and believed in doing thing right. He had a very stong work ethic so I always saw his advice as sound.

I've always had the maintenance philosphy that 99.9% of the key to a reliable vehicle is just making sure you do regular maintenance. As long as the brand of the products you use meets spec, just use whatever works for you. Others may disagree.
Tom and Pris Masterson, w/ Buddy the 18 year old Siamese cat.
1998 Serengeti 3706
300hp Cat 3126, Allison 3060
900 Watts of Solar
17cf, Fisher & Paykel residential Refrigerator
Dragging four telescopes around the US seeking dark skies.
RSR7447

Post by RSR7447 »

astrnmrton Thanks very much for your reply. Fleetguard and Baldwin both have a fuel filter with same spec's and just wanted to get some hands on opinions from the club members. I know this subject has been beat to death. Just wanted to see what the competition was doing. Doesn't mean that I wont use a Cat. again. Thanks Bob Richmond
Robert K

Post by Robert K »

As someone who just went thru fuel issues , I would never run anything but the proper Cat filter.
The cost difference is minimal.
Bob
96 Serengeti 37'
3126 Cat
6 speed Allison
2011 jeep wrangler towd
CactusTwo

Post by CactusTwo »

I own a Cat engine so I use Cat filters. That said, WHEN I own a "Baldwin" or "Fleetguard" engine I will use theirs. OH! they don't have an engine! They also say "Beyond Meat" tastes like meat!!......no it does not! That head mechanic of yours probably does not drive any of the fleet vehicles across the city or country either or has got stuck on the side of the road waiting for a tow. I give my engine a fighting chance for success. :D
Len and Brenda Nugent
Alberta, Canada, fulltimers since 2012
1996 Safari Serengeti 3740 front door, bought in Feb 2019
Cat 3126 300hp, Allison MD3060, VelvetRide suspension
sold 2008 GMC Duramax 3500 and 37' Cedar Creek 5th wheel
RSR7447

Post by RSR7447 »

Robert K wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 2:34 am As someone who just went thru fuel issues , I would never run anything but the proper Cat filter.
The cost difference is minimal.
Robert K Was your fuel issue brought on from bad fuel filters? If so who's filter were you using?
Robert K

Post by Robert K »

Times 2 Cactus :D

No it was the fuel line from the tank.
I have run the cat secondary filter since I bought 13 years ago 80,000 miles.

I had an issue with actuation pressure sensor throwing max codes (255) for several yrs. I guess you wouldn't know it, but my mechanic friend has the Cat program and that is how I saw it.
Changed valve and sensor but still had code.
New Huei pump still had code.
Reading on the diesel rv forum that the pump is only supposed to draw up to 14' away and we are about 33'.
Took out Racor primary (also new) and replaced with Cat primary w/24 volt priming pump.

On a trip south now and it is running better than ever. I will check for the code when we get back.

And I carry 2 Cat primary and 2 Cat secondary
Bob
96 Serengeti 37'
3126 Cat
6 speed Allison
2011 jeep wrangler towd
RSR7447

Post by RSR7447 »

I changed fuel filters yesterday using Racor 90 30 micron and Cat 1R-0751. These are the two I've been using from day one of ownership. I started this discussion hoping there would be a competitive secondary fuel filter for a reasonable price and maybe? there is, but seems the only fuel filter that's going to save my Cat engine is the CAT FILTER. So again I have succumbed to using the Cat. I bought two 1R-0751's from a diesel mechanic friend of mine for 30.00 bucks each, he didn't have the filters on the shelf because his company only use Fleetguard and Baldwin and sometimes Wix. He tried to sell me Baldwin 4 mic absolute for 15.00 bucks. That didn't happen. So if you use Fleetguard, Baldwin, Donaldson, Wix and others you'll find out that was a bad decision because they let too much junk into your engine. Well you made a believer out of me so I will never use anything but a Cat.