Ride height?

Covers engines and transmissions
RSR7447

Re: Ride height?

Post by RSR7447 »

While I'm still trying to locate some information about the chassis/suspension on my coach I noticed this about the Reyco 1212 front. Koni lists a shock for Safari 1212 front #88-1458SP2 and rear 88-1457SP1. The shocks specs are correct for my coach. What suspension is this called??
wolfe10

Post by wolfe10 »

RSR7447 wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 5:18 pm Wolfe I don't know if you remember or not that I have been trying to find the info. on this configuration since I posted on Beaver club in 2016. You made suggestions on Roadmaster and Source Engineering in Oregon. Those where all question marks or come by and we will have a look. This combo was only used for the Monterey and maybe the Safari and Harney units that were the same, so the chassis didn't have a name. After 2003 everything changed on the Monterey line. I've looked at the Reyco 1200 Steermaster and Reyco 240AR until I'm blue in the face and the suspensions are identical on there drawing to my set up. I can not find anywhere on the web about this design. That explains all the guessing I've been doing. Years ago I spoke to an engineer a Reyco Granning and told him that I had a 1200 Steermaster front and asked "what is the ride height? He told me to measure at the front bracket where the two leafs fasten. I gave the dimension of 7". He told me it sounds like you have a 1212 and the ride height measures from bottom of frame rail to axle pad is 11.5", so that's where it's been and shock install height of 18". He said "sounds" like you have a 1212 front. So???????? Looks like if I raise 1" to 1.25" of ride height it will make the coach level and may be correct. Looks like I have purchased one of Beavers experimental motor homes. Don't get me wrong it's a nice piece and I get complements everywhere I go.
In the absence of the chassis designer's specs for ride height (it could be a Gary Jones designed chassis-- check with him, as he did a lot of the Safari chassis as well as chassis for Tiffin and Alpine) I would set it slightly above half way between shock compressed and extended length. That is because it would be harder on the shock to bottom out (full weight of coach on it) vs just "hanging the axle". Yes, this assumes that the shocks were properly speced for the chassis/ride height. But, at least an educated GUESS.
Brett and Dianne Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'. Ex 1997 Safari Sahara. Ex 1993 Foretravel U240
Moderator, FMCA Forums 2009-2020
Chairman, FMCA Technical Advisory Committee 2011- 2020
Moderator, http://www.dieselrvclub.org/ (FMCA chapter) 2002-
RSR7447

Post by RSR7447 »

Wolfe? You say to check with Gary jones on chassis info. Do you have a phone number or email?
wolfe10

Post by wolfe10 »

RSR7447 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 1:45 pm Wolfe? You say to check with Gary Jones on chassis info. Do you have a phone number or email?
No, sorry, I have not kept up with Gary in the last couple of years.

I would check with Tiffin for contact information, as I believe that is the last RV chassis he designed.
Brett and Dianne Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'. Ex 1997 Safari Sahara. Ex 1993 Foretravel U240
Moderator, FMCA Forums 2009-2020
Chairman, FMCA Technical Advisory Committee 2011- 2020
Moderator, http://www.dieselrvclub.org/ (FMCA chapter) 2002-
TDJohn

Post by TDJohn »

RSR7447 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 11:44 am While I'm still trying to locate some information about the chassis/suspension on my coach I noticed this about the Reyco 1212 front. Koni lists a shock for Safari 1212 front #88-1458SP2 and rear 88-1457SP1. The shocks specs are correct for my coach. What suspension is this called??
For what it is worth. If you have a harsh ride on your coach, especially the high frequency bumps, like pot holes and expansion joints, you can get a smoother Koni shock for the front axle that has a lot less dampening on compression, with is what affects the harshness of the high frequency bumps, without sacrificing hardly anything on sway control. The dampening on extension is reduced by a tiny bit. I have run both shocks and it does make a difference in the ride. The shock number is the same, but ends with SP1 So if you want a smoother ride, the shock number for the front axle is: 88-1458SP1. I highly recommend to set all four shocks to maximum dampening (those Koni shocks are adjustable).
John
'95 Serengeti, Cummins C8.3-300
Allison 6spd.
RSR7447

Post by RSR7447 »

TDJohn wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 5:18 pm
RSR7447 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 11:44 am While I'm still trying to locate some information about the chassis/suspension on my coach I noticed this about the Reyco 1212 front. Koni lists a shock for Safari 1212 front #88-1458SP2 and rear 88-1457SP1. The shocks specs are correct for my coach. What suspension is this called??
For what it is worth. If you have a harsh ride on your coach, especially the high frequency bumps, like pot holes and expansion joints, you can get a smoother Koni shock for the front axle that has a lot less dampening on compression, with is what affects the harshness of the high frequency bumps, without sacrificing hardly anything on sway control. The dampening on extension is reduced by a tiny bit. I have run both shocks and it does make a difference in the ride. The shock number is the same, but ends with SP1 So if you want a smoother ride, the shock number for the front axle is: 88-1458SP1. I highly recommend to set all four shocks to maximum dampening (those Koni shocks are adjustable).

John My question was what is my (1212 Reyco front/240AR rear) chassis or suspension called, not what shock absorber I need. You must be a sales rep for Koni? Do you know the proper name for it?. It's not a Magnum 510ar/610ar. It does not match up to any of the Magnum's listed for Safari's and Beaver's, but Koni lists a shock for Safari 1212 front, but does not say what suspension is on rear of the coach that has the 1212 front. Thanks Bob
TDJohn

Post by TDJohn »

Believe me, if I knew, I would have told you already, unfortunately I do not know, but trying to figure it out. I saw that Brett pointed you in the right direction, so I figure I would mention the shocks as a btw/helpful info, because I saw the shock part numbers, and am familiar with those particular shocks. I am not a rep nor was ever a rep for Koni. But being that some Safari coaches had ride quality issues and a dear and knowledgeable Safari member, who passed on back in 2012, spent countless amount of hours on road testing different shocks, on his own dime, until he finally came across the proper or close to perfect shocks for the application. He also developed certain Safari suspension part upgrades, so I learned a whole lot from him and others, and try to pass on the knowledge, so people don't by the wrong shocks (wasting their money) and/or so people are aware of the best options out there to improve the ride quality of their coach. Your coach is not one of them, but certain coaches with the BF Goodrich VelvetRide Torsional Suspension, the shocks need to be ordered by part number, not by make/model, for the reasons stated above. Though your application is different, the fact still remains that the 88-1458SP1 provides a noticeably smoother ride then the SP2. Same shock, just different dampening specs.

I don't see it on this thread, does your coach have a 4 air bag, 8 air bag, or 10 airbag suspension?
John
'95 Serengeti, Cummins C8.3-300
Allison 6spd.
RSR7447

Post by RSR7447 »

Thanks to all the members that have posted. I'm going to finish this "ride height post with what I have come up with for my coach. My 2000 Beaver Monterey 38' dual slide with Reyco 1212 front and 240Ar rear with 238" wheelbase. Front ride height is 12.50" (from axle pad to bottom of frame rail) with a shock center to center of 19.50". Shock absorber is a Gabriel 89430 3 way adjustable set on stiff 1465# rebound and 272# compression 24.62" ext. 15.39" comp. 9.24" stroke. Rear 240ar ride height is 8.50" (from bottom of frame rail to center of axle) drive shaft alignment is correct. Shock absorber is Bilstien 24-020930 290 ext.70 comp. at 19.25" center to center 23.70" ext. 14.92" comp. 8.875" stroke. Also have another shock for the rear, a Monroe 65108 with 9" stroke 1031 ext. 453 comp. that I may try. Coach is level measuring from level ground to bottom of frame rail @ 25.5" @ both ends. The arrangement is installed now and the coach rides real nice. I will know more when I take my next long trip to Las Vegas. Will let you all know Bob