1998 C-Class steering stabilizer issues

Pretty much everything on the bottom side of the coach: Steering, wheels, tires, brakes, suspension
curry

1998 C-Class steering stabilizer issues

Post by curry »

Yes I know that there are very few Safari Class-C Rigs still on the road. We nave a 1998 24 footer built on a Ford E-SuperDuty frame. The steering stabilizer is shot and I bought a new Bilstein unit to replace the old rusted one that came from the factory. It should be a two bolt job. The mounts are part of the Ford frame. Should be easy, but it is not. The bolt connection that goes to the steering is easy. The one that goes to the frame is not. I can't push the bolt out to do the replacement because there is a steering part right behind it. I cannot take the connection loose as it appears to be welded to the frame.
Has anyone here had to do this job in the past? The Ford sites call this a ten minute job. None of the Videos on line have described this issue. If there are any folks out there with a Class-C, they used both Ford and Chevy vans for these models, do you have any ideas what to do next. I can leave the old one on but it is worthless.
Any ideas besides taking it to the junk yard would be appreciated.
Help.
curry

Re: 1998 C-Class steering stabilizer issues

Post by curry »

So I squeezed enough to see there were three bolts that were holding the stabilizer to the frame. Got it all back together, but haven't driven it. Maybe tomorrow. The snow has finally melted.
I should ask. Are there any other Safari C-Class folks still on this site. Our time may have passed?
astrnmrtom

Post by astrnmrtom »

This forum is just barely staying alive so anyone with the more rare models will see even less activity. It appears the Safari Motorhome Facebook page is more active.
Tom and Pris Masterson, w/ Buddy the 18 year old Siamese cat.
1998 Serengeti 3706
300hp Cat 3126, Allison 3060
900 Watts of Solar
17cf, Fisher & Paykel residential Refrigerator
Dragging four telescopes around the US seeking dark skies.
TDJohn

Post by TDJohn »

curry wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:09 pm I should ask. Are there any other Safari C-Class folks still on this site. Our time may have passed?
There are at least two that I know of here, but I don't know how active they are. If I remember correctly, one of them lives in Alaska.

eneriksen

Here is a link to one of them, with photos of his rig and remodel project:

https://safarifriends.org/viewtopic.php ... ss#p227053

Here is the Alaska one, so this makes three of you Class C owners here. This link shows you in this conversation, so at that time you were aware of at least one other Class C owner at that time, but it is hard to keep track.

https://safarifriends.org/viewtopic.php ... ss#p226785
John
'95 Serengeti, Cummins C8.3-300
Allison 6spd.