who is the manufacturer of the "Air-over-Hydraulic" brake system?

Pretty much everything on the bottom side of the coach: Steering, wheels, tires, brakes, suspension
stuplich@ymail.com

Haldex N37216C (was: who is the manufacturer of the "Air-over-Hydraulic")?

Post by stuplich@ymail.com »

BeaverOwner wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:46 am The part number I was given for the replacement master cylinder and air chamber is N37216C
The item in the attachment above.
https://www.haldex.com/en/na/vacuumhydr ... -/n37216c/ ?
Mel
'96 Sahara 3530, mine since '01
250 hp 3126 Cat, MD3060 Allison
TDJohn

Re: who is the manufacturer of the "Air-over-Hydraulic" brake system?

Post by TDJohn »

BeaverOwner wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:30 am Some of the early coaches built from 1996 -2000 (maybe later) that where built on the Magnum Air chassis had "Air-over-Hydraulic" brakes where a brake treadle valve (or similar valve) was used to apply air to a brake chamber that applied (pushed on) the rod for the hydraulic master cylinder.

I've read that there were usually two air chambers and two master cylinders (separately mounted on the front left frame) so as to be a "split system" (front system. and rear brake system). These coaches also had an air operated parking brake (driveshaft mounted).

There is plenty of discussion on this, but not any mention of specific manufacturer's name.

I see several companies made Air-over-Hydraulic brakes (Wagner, Hadlex, Bendix) but no one has said what was installed on these coaches.

A photo of such a setup would help me identify the system by comparing to manufacturer's catalog photos.

Someone posted in another thread the master cylinder replacement (roe 1996-1998 Patriot) is a Centrix 13079025 (that is a dual master cylinder) which doesn't fit the other description I read about it being two separate air chambers/cylinders. So a photo from someones coach would help. Possibly several different designs were used over the years.
Mike,

I highly doubt that there are actually two, physically serperate, master cylinders, as is would impossible to apply front and rear brakes in a balanced consistent way. So, it is likely that someone either misspoke or misunderstood what was being said.
Also, even though Beaver coaches came with air assisted brakes, all Safari branded coaches made by SMC had hydraulic of hydraulic brakes. Some of the newer air ride Safaris did have air actuated parking brakes, but the regular brakes were still hydraulic over hydraulic.

BTW, why can't you just post a picture of the master cylinder on your '05 Beaver and match that up???
John
'95 Serengeti, Cummins C8.3-300
Allison 6spd.
RSBILLEDWARDS

Post by RSBILLEDWARDS »

Well late to this discussion, sorry. John first unfortunately not in your reference book. Yes two installed with a tie bar. I spent a lot of time crawling around a Patriot at the 30th Safari Party in Oklahoma. I was trying to determine if better than Hyd over Hyd. From conversations not so much so I do not know for sure, The Beaver forum may have more you have not alluded to having been there.
BeaverOwner

Post by BeaverOwner »

BTW, why can't you just post a picture of the master cylinder on your '05 Beaver and match that up???
I information I'm looking for is not for my coach (I have a 2005 Patriot Thunder, which has full air brakes) so I can't post a photo. It was another Coach owner with a 98 Patriot that asked for help. I asked him to post a photo but his coach is out of state right now. I would still like to have a photo of this setup.

I am also interested in learning about these coaches, so I spent some time asking questions and researching this.
- Mike
2005 Beaver Patriot Thunder 525HP C13
( SMC Magnum D-series chassis)
TDJohn

Post by TDJohn »

RSBILLEDWARDS wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:30 am Well late to this discussion, sorry. John first unfortunately not in your reference book. Yes two installed with a tie bar. I spent a lot of time crawling around a Patriot at the 30th Safari Party in Oklahoma. I was trying to determine if better than Hyd over Hyd. From conversations not so much so I do not know for sure, The Beaver forum may have more you have not alluded to having been there.
Well, I eat crow. That sure is a first for me. Very unique and different.

Bill, as for working "marginally better" brake system, the question I would have is, are those particular Beaver Coaches heaver than your Safari Panther Coach? There may or may not be too many variables to properly compare, especially just from conversations, but it would be interesting to have a good balanced comparison between the two systems.
John
Allison 6spd.
TDJohn

Post by TDJohn »

BeaverOwner wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:24 am
Information I'm looking for is not for my coach (I have a 2005 Patriot Thunder, which has full air brakes) so I can't post a photo. It was another Coach owner with a 98 Patriot that asked for help. I asked him to post a photo but his coach is out of state right now. I would still like to have a photo of this setup.

I am also interested in learning about these coaches, so I spent some time asking questions and researching this.
Sorry Mike, I did not realize that you are looking for info for another year/model Beaver. It would be less confusing you could mention that fact in the topic title or when posting.

BTW, your link to where you have collected numerous files, manuals and articles, is pretty impressive and of grate value. Thank you and kudos!
Maybe one of the moderators could pin the link in a information or manuals section, so it would be easily found for the ones needing the info?
John
Allison 6spd.
BeaverOwner

Post by BeaverOwner »

After posting that link to my file collection. I removed it. I was thinking no one would be interested and it was sort of off topic for this thread.
But since you found it useful, maybe someone else will too - so here is the link again:

SMC-BVR-Mnco Chassis and Suspension Info, History https://1drv.ms/f/s!AtvAXw_lfqbToxXYREK9YdBP08Jn

SMC-BVR-Mnco Wiring Diagrams https://1drv.ms/f/s!AtvAXw_lfqbTm0WTuuNqpn9a8hCh
- Mike
2005 Beaver Patriot Thunder 525HP C13
( SMC Magnum D-series chassis)