New Shocks my experience

Pretty much everything on the bottom side of the coach: Steering, wheels, tires, brakes, suspension
chuckster

Re: New Shocks my experience

Post by chuckster »

TDJohn wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:13 pm
ccastle wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:00 am Ok, looking for the correct part numbers for my 35 foot 1998 Safari Sahara 3506 with velvet ride. Didn't see specific ones listed for this coach yet. Thanks!
Chuck,

Here are the part numbers for your coach. It is absolutely crucial that you order by these part numbers. If you have already ordered the shocks by the wrong part number, you will need to cancel that order and order the correct ones, otherwise you will have wasted you money and will be very unhappy with you ride and handling of your coach.

The correct Koni shocks are:

Front: 88-1641SP3

Rear: 88-1458SP1

Hi John,

I am getting around to ordering my shocks and your post/reply to me seems to be a reply to “ccastle” regarding their ‘98 Sahara 3506. My coach is an ‘01 Zanzibar 3646 with the BFG Velvetride suspension.

Looking here:

https://www.ultrarvproducts.com/Koni-RV ... &filter=61

It appears that they may be a little different Koni part numbers but applying their Velvetride filter on the left leaves me with 88-1458SP2 for front and 88-1641-SP3 for rear shocks? The rear part number doesn’t reference a Magnum chassis though.

Do you have some thoughts on that?

Best,
Chuck & Mitzi
'01 Safari Zanzibar 3646 (side entry)
Cat 3126B / Allison MD3060
Magnum M-Series "Blue Max" chassis
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland toad
TDJohn

Post by TDJohn »

Chuck,

Rereading the posts back from November, I realize that I somehow mixed up the quotation of "ccastle" when I was replying to you, my apologies.

As far as looking on the Ultra RV site for proper shocks, this is why I stress the point to NOT look at what part numbers are suggested, but to order by part numbers.
All SMC safari coaches from '93 forward that have the VelvetRide suspension take the part numbers given below. This includes your coach. Please note which part number is for the front and for the rear, and install them correctly, as the shock mounts are the same and the front to back can easily be mixed up. Please note all the notes written below the given part numbers. Again, my apologies for the confusion I created for you. :?

NOTE: It is crucial to order the shocks by part number NOT by year, make, and model. Otherwise you will get the ineffective useless shocks, wasting your money.
These Koni shocks are adjustable, I would suggest to set them at maximum dampening, especially if you will be driving rough roads like in California. At maximum dampening, these shocks literally get rid of all porpoising and severe bouncing on rough roads.
[/quote]
John
'95 Serengeti, Cummins C8.3-300
Allison 6spd.
chuckster

Post by chuckster »

TDJohn wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:34 pm Chuck,

Rereading the posts back from November, I realize that I somehow mixed up the quotation of "ccastle" when I was replying to you, my apologies.

As far as looking on the Ultra RV site for proper shocks, this is why I stress the point to NOT look at what part numbers are suggested, but to order by part numbers.
All SMC safari coaches from '93 forward that have the VelvetRide suspension take the part numbers given below. This includes your coach. Please note which part number is for the front and for the rear, and install them correctly, as the shock mounts are the same and the front to back can easily be mixed up. Please note all the notes written below the given part numbers. Again, my apologies for the confusion I created for you. :?

NOTE: It is crucial to order the shocks by part number NOT by year, make, and model. Otherwise you will get the ineffective useless shocks, wasting your money.
These Koni shocks are adjustable, I would suggest to set them at maximum dampening, especially if you will be driving rough roads like in California. At maximum dampening, these shocks literally get rid of all porpoising and severe bouncing on rough roads.
[/quote]

Hi John,

Thanks again for the info. When I get them installed on the coach I will update the group on my findings. I will set them at maximum dampening at the outset and see how they feel.

Chuck
Chuck & Mitzi
TDJohn

Post by TDJohn »

Chuck,

What brand shocks are you running now on your coach?
John
Allison 6spd.
chuckster

Post by chuckster »

TDJohn wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:47 pm Chuck,

What brand shocks are you running now on your coach?
John,

That’s a good question. I was under there on a creeper a few months ago having a general look around and did not take note at the time. Given the thoroughness of the receipts by the previous only two owners before me, they are likely what came from SMC.

Regards,
Chuck & Mitzi
chuckster

Post by chuckster »

John,

Got the new shocks in today. I will be having them installed this weekend. The front 88-1641SP3 shocks are a bright red and the rear 88-1458SP1 shocks are a bright yellow. After adjusting them both to maximum stiffness the rear shocks can be extended outward by hand only with a fair amount of force while the front shocks are almost impossible to budge after setting for maximum stiffness. That seems backwards to me. It seems the rear of the coach is where the weight would be (CAT 3126B) and thus require the much stiffer shocks. I went with your recommendations though so trust that there is wealth of experience there from consumers.

Koni's web site recommends the for 95-04 Magnum w/Velvetride - Special D (Red) to be 88-1490SP2 for both front and rear. I realize they probably got the info from some RV outfit or mechanic and isn't likely based on actual feedback.
https://www.koni-na.com/en-US/NorthAmer ... mk=81&mt=9

To adjust, put the small shock cylinder end's mounting eye in a bench vice with protection from marring and push the shock all the way down (compressed) and then turn the upper end of shock clockwise to stiffen and CCW to soften the ride. Maximum stiffness will stop at around 4-5 complete turns.

I'll report back in after I make a trip or two. Wish me luck!
13516993-0162-430A-9DB3-6C2A5479ACE8.jpeg
13516993-0162-430A-9DB3-6C2A5479ACE8.jpeg (3.12 MiB) Viewed 146229 times

66C7AE27-E79A-4018-8B75-56CA2574F329.jpeg
66C7AE27-E79A-4018-8B75-56CA2574F329.jpeg (3.13 MiB) Viewed 146229 times
Chuck & Mitzi
TDJohn

Post by TDJohn »

It may seem backwards but that is what the Safari torsional suspension coaches require. That combination is the only way to avoid porpoising, sway, and bouncing. With the forward motion, the front needs maximum dampening on rebound, that is why you can barely pull the shocks apart, it normal and a good thing. Koni's number that you posted is an ineffective shock, lacking the needed dampening in a major way. You would waste you money to buy that shock. This is why I always post and stress to order by part numbers not by Koni's website. It is better not to post that number at all, as it adds confusion and can cost someone unnecessary money and grief as it has in the past. Color of the shock no longer maters, I have spoken with Koni, and they told me that they can come in any color. BTW, mine are the exact same color.

I am very confident that you will notice a marked difference with the new shocks. Enjoy!
John
Allison 6spd.
chuckster

Post by chuckster »

John,

I had no doubts as to your recommendations and saw Koni’s recommendation before I even purchased. Saved a bit of money ordering from Summit racing. They had the rear in stock and had the fronts drop-shipped direct from Summit in KY. The drop ship was 3 weeks.

Thanks again!
Chuck & Mitzi
TDJohn

Post by TDJohn »

You must have caught a good sale, usually Summit Racing charges a lot more for the Konis we need. Normally Ultra RV Products and LTB Autosports have the best prices.
Let us know how you like the new shocks, once you put some miles on.
John
Allison 6spd.
chuckster

Post by chuckster »

TDJohn wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:24 pm You must have caught a good sale, usually Summit Racing charges a lot more for the Konis we need. Normally Ultra RV Products and LTB Autosports have the best prices.
Let us know how you like the new shocks, once you put some miles on.
So I finally hit the road with the old Bilstein’s removed and the new Koni’s set to maximum dampening on both front and rear. Here is my thoughts on the first 100 miles to our first stop. Bridge transitions and general sway is a bit reduced. Dips in the road seem to porpoise less. Taking turns and curves do seem to be tighter and less sway. Pot holes and washboard roads are about the same but seem maybe just a tad better but those probably are going to be about the same due to their nature. No wind or passing semi’s yet to judge by just yet. If I were retired and living on retirement income (SS only) I am not so sure I’d drop the $1k and $200 install on the difference but the wife hasn’t complained about the ride as much as she did so maybe that’s worth it. 😂

I’ll update some more as we get some mileage going down the road.

Happy trails,
Chuck & Mitzi