New Shocks my experience

Pretty much everything on the bottom side of the coach: Steering, wheels, tires, brakes, suspension
TDJohn

Re: New Shocks my experience

Post by TDJohn »

chuckster wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:25 am I am considering replacing the shocks on my ‘01 Zanzibar 3646 which has the Magnum M-Series "Blue Max" chassis. Where can I find the correct Koni part numbers for my rig?

Thanks!
Chuck,

Does your coach have the VelvetRide (torsional suspension) or does it have the air ride suspension?
If air ride, is it 4 airbags or 8 airbags?
John
'95 Serengeti, Cummins C8.3-300
Allison 6spd.
Moonwink

Post by Moonwink »

Oops!
Last edited by Moonwink on Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'15 Malibu 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System
ccastle

Post by ccastle »

Ok, looking for the correct part numbers for my 35 foot 1998 Safari Sahara 3506 with velvet ride. Didn't see specific ones listed for this coach yet. Thanks!
Chuck, KD7UA
1998 Safari Sahara 3506 (since 9/2020)
Cat/Allison
Moonwink

Post by Moonwink »

Spanked
Last edited by Moonwink on Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'15 Malibu 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System
TDJohn

Post by TDJohn »

Don,

Thank you.

A little brief history for our many new members, regarding shocks and ride quality issues in the past, and the reason why Koni shocks for our coaches, especially the ones with VelvetRide suspension, need to be ordered by part number and not by year, make, model.

For many years, Safari owners have been struggling with very poor ride quality issues with their coaches, and thanks to one kind, brilliant, and tenacious member (Ralph Andrews-RIP, he past away in 2012), who was on the difficult quest to resolve this problem, which he did succeed in. Thanks to him, and his countless hours of real life, and real road miles of testing at his own expense, he found the best performing shocks that have the correct dampening for the needs of our coaches. That said, the biggest issue is, Koni REFUSES to update those numbers, and lists the incorrect shock numbers, which essentially are useless for our application. For many years I have been posting and re-posting regarding this issue, so people DON'T GET RIPPED OFF by buying the wrong, expensive, but useless shocks that are listed by Koni, as most know these shocks are not cheap.
If anyone has any question, don't hesitate to ask. Most information regarding the shocks is archived in the legacy folder and in this thread.

I will reiterate this important note for all to see and be aware, regarding obtaining replacement shocks for Safari made coaches, especially with the VelvetRide torsional suspension: "It is crucial to order the shocks by part number NOT by year, make, and model. Otherwise you will get the ineffective useless shocks, wasting your money. When in doubt, always ask." ;)
Last edited by TDJohn on Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John
Allison 6spd.
TDJohn

Post by TDJohn »

ccastle wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:00 am Ok, looking for the correct part numbers for my 35 foot 1998 Safari Sahara 3506 with velvet ride. Didn't see specific ones listed for this coach yet. Thanks!
Chuck,

Here are the part numbers for your coach. It is absolutely crucial that you order by these part numbers. If you have already ordered the shocks by the wrong part number, you will need to cancel that order and order the correct ones, otherwise you will have wasted you money and will be very unhappy with you ride and handling of your coach.

The correct Koni shocks are:

Front: 88-1641SP3

Rear: 88-1458SP1

NOTE: It is crucial to order the shocks by part number NOT by year, make, and model. Otherwise you will get the ineffective useless shocks, wasting your money.
These Koni shocks are adjustable, I would suggest to set them at maximum dampening, especially if you will be driving rough roads like in California. At maximum dampening, these shocks literally get rid of all porpoising and severe bouncing on rough roads.
Last edited by TDJohn on Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
John
Allison 6spd.
Safaritoonces

Post by Safaritoonces »

John, after reading your post I see the importance of the part numbers. When you have an opportunity can you please send me the part numbers for my coach as per my signature? Thanks, Robert.
Robert and Bev Lewis
2000 Safari Continental, since 2017
3126B Cat, 330hp
MD3060 Allison
Bowen Island, BC

https://safaritoonces.org/
TDJohn

Post by TDJohn »

Robert,

Your 8 airbag coach takes 88-1458SP1 front and rear. These numbers are for the adjustable Koni Reds, which are less costly then the other option they offer. If you do choose to go with these, I would suggest to set them at maximum dampening if you will be driving rough roads like in California.

The other option, that has good feedback, are the Koni FSD shocks. These are self adjusting shocks that seem to have good feedback, especially for air suspension, but they are more expensive (about $50 more per shock).

Part numbers for the Koni FSD shocks:

Front: 8805-1004SP1

Rear: 8805-1005SP1

Note: the FSD part numbers are different, but physically it is the same shock, just slightly different dampening.
Also, these numbers apply to all Magnum 8 airbag coach suspensions.
John
Allison 6spd.
Mrcraigburrell

Post by Mrcraigburrell »

I put new koni on my 93 continental. I in my infinite wisdom did not tighten them all the way Max. My ride was horrible. I took them back off and tighten them up all the way and put them back on. You talk about a totally different riding coach. It made all the difference in the world. your thinking on putting new shocks on, tighten them all the way down.
Craig 93 continental 8.3 6 Speed
wolfe10

Post by wolfe10 »

By tighten, I assume you are referring to adjusting them to their highest resistance on extension-- I agree.

The how to is really easy and requires no tools with shock off the coach: http://www.koni.com/en-US/Cars/Technolo ... nt-Guides/
Brett and Dianne Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'. Ex 1997 Safari Sahara. Ex 1993 Foretravel U240
Moderator, FMCA Forums 2009-2020
Chairman, FMCA Technical Advisory Committee 2011- 2020
Moderator, http://www.dieselrvclub.org/ (FMCA chapter) 2002-