New Shocks my experience

Pretty much everything on the bottom side of the coach: Steering, wheels, tires, brakes, suspension
TDJohn

Re: New Shocks my experience

Post by TDJohn »

stemo76 wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 1:04 am
TDJohn wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 4:34 pm Is your Harney built on a Safari Magnum chassis???

What brand is your front axle? (look on the axle and/or the build sheet) Let me know and we will go from there.

The EVO99 series shock (99B-3254) supersedes the Koni 88-1641SP3 and the 8805 series shocks. From the feedback I have received thus far is that the ride is a bit harsher but the sway control is about the same. I would presume that eventually Koni will phase out the 88-1641SP3 shock in favor of the (99B-3254), but considering the feedback, I would recommend to continue buying the Koni 88-1641SP3 for the front axle of Safari coaches that are built on the in house magnum chassis using the leaf spring, VelvetRide, or 4 airbag suspensions. For what it is worth, it is well known in Safari circles that this particular shock gives the best ride and sway control. This is thanks to the relentless research and hard work of the Late Ralph Andrews to improve ride quality of the great Safari brand coaches, so there is no need to reinvent the wheel, unless one feels compelled to.
Yes my harney renegade is built from a safari on a magnum chassis with a Westport solid ibeam front axle, 1 bag per wheel.
OK, just as I figured, use the shock numbers I posted here and in the PM I sent you the other day. It will give you the best ride with great sway control. Again, be sure to order by part number not by year/make/model, otherwise you will get the very weak ineffective shocks that cross-reference to these coaches. Also, be sure to set all four shocks at maximum dampening before you install them. And let us know how they work out for you.

Here is a link to a place that has the rear shocks in stock with free shipping and the same low price as Brazels RV. The front shocks you can order from Brazels, as they show them to be in stock...

https://thmotorsports.com/74655-koni-88 ... k-absorber
John
'95 Serengeti, Cummins C8.3-300
Allison 6spd.
stemo76

Post by stemo76 »

Brazersl was also jumping into the EVO line when I did a search for that part number.

I was able to get 2 from thmotorsports and the other 2 from summit racing.
2000 Harney Renegade 38ft
Busbum

Post by Busbum »

Hi All,
Just read this thread from the beginning and was wondering what Koni shocks would be appropriate for a 2001 Safari Trek on a 2000 P32 workhorse chassis, if you have that info, thanks in advance...

Larry
TDJohn

Post by TDJohn »

Busbum wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 3:43 pm Hi All,
Just read this thread from the beginning and was wondering what Koni shocks would be appropriate for a 2001 Safari Trek on a 2000 P32 workhorse chassis, if you have that info, thanks in advance...

Larry
Your Koni part numbers are:

Front: 8805-1006

Rear: 8805-1007

Here are the two links to the shocks at Brazels RV (free shipping and most likely the best prices too). This is a new line of shock that and I don't have the dampening specs for these because Koni no longer makes their info public. That said, they still make an excellent product that should serve you well.

https://www.ultrarvproducts.com/Koni-88 ... oni-Shocks

John
Allison 6spd.
TDJohn

Post by TDJohn »

stemo76 wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 1:08 pm Brazersl was also jumping into the EVO line when I did a search for that part number.

Bummer, you could have saved yourself $20. I had no issues with finding the link to the front shocks at Brazels RV, but at least you have them on the way.

https://www.ultrarvproducts.com/Koni-88 ... pine-Front
John
Allison 6spd.
stemo76

Post by stemo76 »

TDJohn wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 9:24 pm
stemo76 wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 1:08 pm Brazersl was also jumping into the EVO line when I did a search for that part number.

Bummer, you could have saved yourself $20. I had no issues with finding the link to the front shocks at Brazels RV, but at least you have them on the way.

https://www.ultrarvproducts.com/Koni-88 ... pine-Front
Seems Brazels part number search has some issues, you can't find the part number with a search but if you drill down to shocks and magnum chassis you can see a link that takes you to ultrarvproducts

I did find them on ultrarvproducts but at checkout shipping was pushing the price up, so it ended up being cheaper through Summit. The website says free shipping but checkout was having me choose a shipping method, and none of them were free.

THmotorsports responded back saying back ordered for at least 30 days. So I might look for another source on those two.
Busbum

Post by Busbum »

John.
Thank you for the info much appreciated...
TDJohn wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 9:22 pm
Busbum wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 3:43 pm Hi All,

Larry
Your Koni part numbers are:

Front: 8805-1006

Rear: 8805-1007

Here are the two links to the shocks at Brazels RV (free shipping and most likely the best prices too). This is a new line of shock that and I don't have the dampening specs for these because Koni no longer makes their info public. That said, they still make an excellent product that should serve you well.

stemo76

Post by stemo76 »

TDJohn wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:15 pm
stemo76 wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:08 pm I looked through this entire thread and didn't find my chassis.

Looking for the 'correct' shocks for my 2000 Harney motorcoach. Its a 38ft Magnum 4 bag suspension.
I replied to your PM with the info you need.

Your 4 air bag suspension coach takes the same shocks as the Safari coaches with the VelvetRide torsional suspensions and leaf spring suspensions.

Front: 88-1641SP3

Rear: 88-1458SP1

Be sure to order by the given part number, not by the model/year coach you have. Also, I highly recommend to set the Koni shocks at maximum dampening. They come from the factory set at least dampening. Brazels RV usually has the best prices on Koni shocks and have free shipping.
Are you sure that these numbers are not swapped front to back?

The reason I ask 88-1458SP1 is 25.75" extended and 88-1641SP3 is 20.25 extended.

My current shocks are 24+ up front but only 21 inches in the rear

Only going by total extended length it seems that the 88-1641SP3 would better fit the rear and 88-1458SP1 would better fit the front.

Also it says this in the description Safari w/ Reyco 1212 Suspension Front for the 88-1458SP1. I know you say don't use the catalog, I just want to be sure before I go and swap these on.
Rayco 1212 Front
Rayco 1212 Front
Rayco 1212 - Front.jpg (217.29 KiB) Viewed 47557 times
TDJohn

Post by TDJohn »

No the number given are not backwards.
Is the suspension pictured the exact suspension you have?
A Rayco 1212 front axle calls for a 90 series shock that is 30 inches long fully extended. You stated that you had a Westport axle, so you don't have A Rayco 1212 suspension in a full sense if you have a Westport axle. That should rule out the 90 series shocks.
Your shocks were likely installed backwards, as in front to back, that would explain the poor bouncy ride. The longer shocks do not have enough dampening control on extension to control porpoising and sway on the front axle, but the shorter shock I have listed has considerably more dampening on extension which is what our coaches need up front.
What brand shocks do you have on right now and what part numbers are they?

If you are able to, measure the front and rear shock mounts in the front and back, center of eye hole to center of eye hole (top to bottom), fully extneded (shocks removed) and fully collapsed. Also take the same measurements with the way the coach sits with air bags inflated, loaded for normal travel. Post the measurements here and we will go from there.

What is your ride height? (you measure from the center of each wheel to the bottom of the belt line)

If your suspension extended length and collapsed length measure out how I expect it to, you may not even need new shocks, you might be fine just switching them front to back. We will see when you get me some measurements...
John
Allison 6spd.
stemo76

Post by stemo76 »

TDJohn wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:22 pm No the number given are not backwards.
Is the suspension pictured the exact suspension you have?
A Rayco 1212 front axle calls for a 90 series shock that is 30 inches long fully extended. You stated that you had a Westport axle, so you don't have A Rayco 1212 suspension in a full sense if you have a Westport axle. That should rule out the 90 series shocks.
Your shocks were likely installed backwards, as in front to back, that would explain the poor bouncy ride. The longer shocks do not have enough dampening control on extension to control porpoising and sway on the front axle, but the shorter shock I have listed has considerably more dampening on extension which is what our coaches need up front.
What brand shocks do you have on right now and what part numbers are they?

If you are able to, measure the front and rear shock mounts in the front and back, center of eye hole to center of eye hole (top to bottom), fully extended (shocks removed) and fully collapsed. Also take the same measurements with the way the coach sits with air bags inflated, loaded for normal travel. Post the measurements here and we will go from there.

What is your ride height? (you measure from the center of each wheel to the bottom of the belt line)

If your suspension extended length and collapsed length measure out how I expect it to, you may not even need new shocks, you might be fine just switching them front to back. We will see when you get me some measurements...
https://photos.app.goo.gl/8eZr9saGXpaxrXJz5

My front shocks are currently 66878 and running length is about 19"
My rear shocks are Reyco 20126-01 or CD01S30 and the running length is about 17.5 If I put on the recommended shock (88-1458SP1) I will only have at 1.5 inches of up travel. This seems very minimal on a shock with about 10 inches of travel.

Seems I have a Rayco 240AR rear suspension and I don't know what up front. It is a westport axle the diagram for the 1212 is similar but not exact. I guess I made an assumption that they would have used the same manufacturer for both front and rear.

The only limiting the suspension has is the shocks or the air bags. Seems bad on the bags to hang on them. I am surprised they don't have limiting straps. I did measure extended with the shocks installed, 24+ up front but only 21 inches in the rear.

I am assuming by beltline you are referring to the aluminum strip that the belly doors hang from? I came up with this
FL - 24 FR - 23.25
RL - 24.75 RR - 24
Looks like I need to true up my FR a bit or it could just be the road. Maybe I will take some other measurements on other surfaces to confirm first.