New Shocks my experience

Pretty much everything on the bottom side of the coach: Steering, wheels, tires, brakes, suspension
hjw

New Shocks my experience

Post by hjw »

Several months ago I started doing some research on the suspension of my 94 Safari Serengeti with the hopes of finding solutions to the harsh ride and wandering. I know many of you have already been down this road but I thought I would write a short review of what I experienced. With information I read online and good advice from John on the Yahoo board I decided to start small and simply replace the shocks all around. My coach had a good set of Bilstien shocks installed by the PO and at first I was reluctant to replace good quality shocks that weren’t very old but I went ahead on good advice and ordered a set of Koni shocks. I got the part numbers from John (88-1641SP3 front and 88-1458SP1 for the rear) and set them up as he suggested and installed them while in the campground. Much to my surprise the coach felt much different and I noticed the improvement right away. Smaller bumps which always seemed very harsh were much less stiff and the “porposing” action I had experienced at bridge transitions was greatly diminished. The wandering effect which I found a bit unnerving when a tractor trailer passed me was significantly less. Since the shock replacement we have travelled from the North country of New York to northern Virginia and then down to west Texas and our Safari is much more pleasurable to drive and the ride is greatly improved! This was one of those upgrades that was simple yet produced a profound difference in ride, handling and less stress while traveling.

Hal
94 Serengeti Duo Door
8.3 Cummins 6 speed Allison trans
TDJohn

Re: New Shocks my experience

Post by TDJohn »

Hal,

Thank you for the detailed feedback. We need mpre of this kind of input, as it helps others that my be struggling with this.

That said, considering how long Koni's have been suggested, with real life input showing vast improvement in ride quality, it still amazes me that 8 to 10 years down the road, people are still putting other brand shocks on, and then expressing frustration of poor ride quality. I guess some choose to listen and some choose to attempt to reinvent the wheel. :roll: In any case, feed back is very important, at least for the ones that listen. :mrgreen:

Speaking of feedback, if I recall correctly, there were one or two members that were trying out the Koni EVO99 shocks. This is a new series and there is no information on dampening numbers, so if there are members that are using this shock, please provide feedback, so we can all learn and know if there are additional effective options out there.

As a reminder to all members, especially the ones with non air ride suspensions, it is very important to order shocks by part number listed on this group and NOT by make model of the coach, otherwise you will get the less effective shocks and waste a bunch of money.
If you are not sure of which numbers are correct or can't find the numbers, don't hesitate to ask, we will provide the info needed. :D
John
'95 Serengeti, Cummins C8.3-300
Allison 6spd.
akniteowl

Post by akniteowl »

Hello,

I just read this post, and would like to confirm the part numbers listed would be the correct Loni's for a 99 Sahara M3044. I plan on changing shocks this summer as I experience the same issues as Hal.

Thanks

Dan
Anch, AK
1999 30 ft Sahara Cat 3126 Ali 6 sp
TDJohn

Post by TDJohn »

Dan,

If your suspension is NOT air ride, then the numbers that are in Hal's post are the correct number you need, whether you have torsion or leaf spring suspension...
John
Allison 6spd.
Jonesdnl

Post by Jonesdnl »

Since we are on this subject would anyone have advice for a model 3040 Safari Kalahari. Definitely want the Koni’s. Currently we have Monroe’s. Can you cross reference them to the Koni’s with part numbers? It is the rear 6.5 diesel.
Jonesdnl
Prior 92 Safari Trek 2600
Current: 93 Safari Kalahari
6.5 Turbo Diesel Pusher
TDJohn

Post by TDJohn »

Jonesdnl wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:51 pm Since we are on this subject would anyone have advice for a model 3040 Safari Kalahari. Definitely want the Koni’s. Currently we have Monroe’s. Can you cross reference them to the Koni’s with part numbers? It is the rear 6.5 diesel.
Your chassis is likely a Chevy P-Series chassis, but you need to confirm it (check your VIN).
If it is a P-series chassis, the Koni numbers are below. If you do happen to have a different chassis, let me know what it is, and we will try to get you some numbers.

Part numbers:

FSD Front Shock 8805-1006 (Chevy 68-00 P30 / P32 / P37)

FSD Rear Shock 8805-1007 (Chevy 68-00 P30 / P32 / P37)

Here is the link to the correct shock numbers and the place that sells
them for the best price, with free shipping to boot.

https://ltbautosports.com/koni-chevrolet/

The site below is a few dollars more, but it is more user friendly and
has better customer support. Also, they don't charge tax like the site
above does, so it may actually be less costly to get it from this
site...

https://www.ultrarvproducts.com/Koni-RV ... filter=276
John
Allison 6spd.
taknoff

Post by taknoff »

I have a 2000 Safari, Sahara 30,Cat rear engine, torsion suspension. I need to know what shocks to use for froni t and rear. I have the wandering front end and I replaced Shocks with koni's but who knows what ones the shop put on. Installed tiger paw sway bar, front end done, all new Michelin tires. Will check on shocks.
Thanks
Greg
stuplich@ymail.com

Post by stuplich@ymail.com »

taknoff wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 9:13 am I have a 2000 Safari, Sahara 30,Cat rear engine, torsion suspension. I need to know what shocks to use for froni t and rear. I have the wandering front end and I replaced Shocks with koni's but who knows what ones the shop put on. Installed tiger paw sway bar, front end done, all new Michelin tires. Will check on shocks.
Thanks
Greg
Greg
I believe that most 30 foot Saharas are "front end light" as built....a condition which causes wandering.... and which new shocks won't cure.

Hopefully some one who has improved the handling of their 30 footer will post their solution.
Mel
'96 Sahara 3530, mine since '01
250 hp 3126 Cat, MD3060 Allison
TDJohn

Post by TDJohn »

Greg,

As Mel mentioned, the coaches are very light on the front. I would suggest to load the basement storage heavier in the front, like tools and such, also keeping the water and propane tanks full helps. It is crucial to load the coach as you would for travel and then have your coach weighed. Ideally if you can weigh the for corners separately, this will give you much more accuracy for weight distribution. If you not able to get all four corners weighed, go to a truck scale, like CAT Scales and have the coach weighed, they will give front and rear axle weights, you then use the tire inflation chart for your tire manufacture and adjust the tire pressure according to the weight you are carrying. If the tires are overinflated for the weight you are carrying, the coach will be a handful, wandering all over the road, with the tail wagging the dog. Also, double check you king pins, they get easily missed and will cause similar issues.
What tire inflation pressures are you running on your front axle right now?
Have you had the coach weighed?

The correct Koni shocks are:

Front: 88-1641SP3

Rear: 88-1458SP1

It is crucial to order the shocks by part number NOT by year, make, and model. Otherwise you will get the ineffective useless shocks, wasting your money.

You state that you had new ones installed, if you can, please crawl underneath your coach and get the part numbers from the front and rear shocks. They part numbers are towards the bottom of the shock. The part number also might be listed on the receipt.
John
Allison 6spd.
chuckster

Post by chuckster »

I am considering replacing the shocks on my ‘01 Zanzibar 3646 which has the Magnum M-Series "Blue Max" chassis. Where can I find the correct Koni part numbers for my rig?

Thanks!
Chuck & Mitzi
'01 Safari Zanzibar 3646 (side entry)
Cat 3126B / Allison MD3060
Magnum M-Series "Blue Max" chassis
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland toad