93 continental power steering low fluid.

Pretty much everything on the bottom side of the coach: Steering, wheels, tires, brakes, suspension
Mrcraigburrell

93 continental power steering low fluid.

Post by Mrcraigburrell »

My pump is humming and I can not find where to fill and what to fill with. 93 with 8.3. With auto tranny. Thanks in advance.
LeeTN

Re: 93 continental power steering low fluid.

Post by LeeTN »

Hey,

If you have the Cummins engine, the reservoir should be behind the radiator (next to the oil and trans dip sticks). Open louvered door under the mural (watch out for rain water!)... it should be the white plastic tank on your right. Dexron III is recommended. I think you can use IV as well.

Now... this should also be your power brake assist fluid, so be careful about running it dry as the same pump runs both.

You say the pump is humming?

Lee
'93 Continental
300 Cummins - Allison
Lee
1993 Continental 40'
Oshkosh Chassis -- Cummins 300 -- Allison 6sp
Mrcraigburrell

Post by Mrcraigburrell »

I looked up at steering box and all lines where connected fro parking brake so figured it out. When I am steering it sounds like its low. I added a quart of 4. Have not started yet. Thanks for help. You have a 93 also?. Good machines. We are full time for 3 months. On way to maine till Nov. Then to Phoenix for Thanksgiving till January ish. Then who knows
Thanks
93 continental 8.3.

One question. Book calls to set valve's every 50k miles. What have you done.
LeeTN

Post by LeeTN »

Hi, Can you hear the pump from the driver's seat? As for the valves, I haven't done mine. When I got it there was 51,000 miles on the odometer. That was twenty thousand miles ago. I just realized they were supposed to be adjusted at 50k a few months ago, so I've been thinking about it. Shouldn't be too hard other than turning over a gigantic engine by hand with full compression. I haven't looked at how they're supposed to be done, and I've never done it on a diesel. Usually I take the plugs out of gas engines so they're easier to rotate. Anyway, I should look into it. Let me know if you have more to add.

I like my rig other than the "Velvet Ride" suspension. Mine is at proper height and has the Koni's, but still doesn't have near as nice a ride as air. Though I don't have any trouble with it wandering when being passed by big trucks... I heard lots of complaints about that from other owners. I've considered adding supplemental air bags, but I'm not sure how much longer I'll keep the rig. I used it for mostly for work and I'm now pretty much retired.

Lee
'93 Continental -- 8.3 Cummins
Lee
1993 Continental 40'
Oshkosh Chassis -- Cummins 300 -- Allison 6sp
Mrcraigburrell

Post by Mrcraigburrell »

I could hear air in lines at steering wheel and it grabbed a little to. Drove 8 hrs today and it was fine.
Yes the ride is a little rough. Plan on keeping ours so I am going to C k on the price. I have no ide as how to set valve's on this. Gas yes. Told 500 to have some one do it. Cummins list to it and said it did not need done. Sounded good.

Does your your exhaust brake work? Mine is froze and told could not un freeze. Had to replace. 1200.00. I think I am going to take apart and try to clean it up. We will see how it goes.

Thanks
TDJohn

Post by TDJohn »

LeeTN wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:38 pm Hey,

If you have the Cummins engine, the reservoir should be behind the radiator (next to the oil and trans dip sticks). Open louvered door under the mural (watch out for rain water!)... it should be the white plastic tank on your right. Dexron III is recommended. I think you can use IV as well.

Now... this should also be your power brake assist fluid, so be careful about running it dry as the same pump runs both.

You say the pump is humming?

Lee
'93 Continental
300 Cummins - Allison
I would not recommend using Dex IV in the hydraulic system of these old rigs. It is synthetic, and also a thinner oil, which could cause leaks and make the hydroboost erratic. (ask me how I now).
Do to most licenses expiring, most trans oil manufactures have renamed the old Dexron III DEX/MERC, I would suggest to still read the label to make sure the fluid is not synthetic.
John
'95 Serengeti, Cummins C8.3-300
Allison 6spd.
Mrcraigburrell

Post by Mrcraigburrell »

Thanks for info
I did not know about 4 but got the other. Nunn
Debrapiept

93 continental power steering low fluid

Post by Debrapiept »

Has anyone done a power to manual steering rack conversion?
The LVVTA website suggests that you need to grease fill the rack. I cant see the problem with looping back the fluid lines, you still get lubrication and it shouldnt be too heavy. They also say it must be done by a pro... good old LVVTA.

Hutch