93 continental. want to add steering stabilizer. Any thoughts

Pretty much everything on the bottom side of the coach: Steering, wheels, tires, brakes, suspension
Mrcraigburrell

93 continental. want to add steering stabilizer. Any thoughts

Post by Mrcraigburrell »

Safe t plus or steer safe. Read all kinds of reviews but would like real safari reviews. Any help would be helpful.
Also anyone use a special rear stabilizer. If so what.

We just started full timing 3 months ago and want to get Gus up to prime driving.

Craig burrell
93 continental. 8.3. 6sp
TDJohn

Re: 93 continental. want to add steering stabilizer. Any thoughts

Post by TDJohn »

Craig,

For starters, if you have not done this already, I would strongly suggest to weigh your coach fully loaded, including full tanks, people and pets, then adjust tire pressure according to your tire manufacture's tire inflation chart, this is key. If your tires are over inflated for the weight you are carrying, the coach will be a handful to drive. It in severe cases, it will be all over the road with the tail wagging the dog.

As for Safe-T-Steer, I would give the a call and tell them the year, make, and model of your coach, and be sure to tell them that you have an Oshkosh chassis with BFGoodrich "VelvetRide" torsional suspension. Double check, but if I'm not mistaking, your coach chassis if the V or VC-line model, they also had an X-line, but I believe the X-line were built with a leaf spring suspension, which is not the case on your coach.

Also, be sure to check your ride height, at the front and rear axles, when you are fully loaded. And have your kingpins checked, if they are worn, they will cause a tail wags the dog situation too. Check and adjust all the simple stuff first, and road test, checking for improvements, before you go installing hardware, otherwise you could be masking a potential safety issue in your steering/suspension.
John
'95 Serengeti, Cummins C8.3-300
Allison 6spd.
1Lotosrggp

Post by 1Lotosrggp »

John is right about getting everything right first. The reason I put a safe-t-steer on was an extra protection in case of a blowout. Read / watch the install instructions before you buy, mine was hard to get centered.

Remember, if you have a blowout don't brake, accelerate to gain control then slow down.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lkwOE1yKY5c
Tom
97 Sahara 3550
3126 CAT 300hp
astrnmrtom

Post by astrnmrtom »

I installed the Roadmaster version on my 1998 Serengeti and it helped. It still has some wander, but instead of constant small corrections as I'm going down the road, it's more of slight slow wander. Where I noticed the most improvement was driving down the two lane road to my house. It was a rural road, with bumps and undulations that had me constantly having to correct to keep it in the narrow lanes. After the install, it went down the road needing only occasional corrections. It might work even better if I wasn't carrying a motorcycle on a lift on the back and towing a car. The bike on the lift lightens the weight on the front axle, and changes steering geometry. I never felt my coach was difficult to drive, but wanted some possible help IF, I had a blowout. I'm happy with the addition. One thing to note is I have the Safari built chassis and the stabilizer's effectiveness for me doesn't mean a different chassis will get the same results. also, my rig only has about 35K on it.

When researching the stabilizers, I found customer reviews were all over the place from "Awesome!" to "Waste of money didn't help at all." I suspect at least some of the negative reviews came from people who were trying to fix issues that were related to worn or mis-aligned suspensions. In my case I'm managing my expectations because I know I'm pushing the limits of my chassis.
Tom and Pris Masterson, w/ Buddy the 18 year old Siamese cat.
1998 Serengeti 3706
300hp Cat 3126, Allison 3060
900 Watts of Solar
17cf, Fisher & Paykel residential Refrigerator
Dragging four telescopes around the US seeking dark skies.