Replacing the Main Fuel Line

Pretty much everything on the bottom side of the coach: Steering, wheels, tires, brakes, suspension
Safaritoonces

Replacing the Main Fuel Line

Post by Safaritoonces »

I have been doing tests on my fuel system, 2000 Safari Continental 3126B. I inserted a clear plastic line before the first filter to see if there was air leaks, as a temporary test. From what I can see the line (a loop of about 24") is only 1/2 full at any time. The engine has lots of fuel and does not starve. But since the line from the tank is under a vacuum I think the line should be completely full so I think the line has cracks. I replaced the fuel line from the Racor filter to the CAT fuel pump and it had cracks so I am guessing that the feed line from the tank is also deteriorating.

How much work is it to run the line to the tank? I saw from another group someone ran a new line and left the old in place. Is that the way to go? Does the fuel tank need to be dropped to connect the fuel line?
Robert and Bev Lewis
2000 Safari Continental, since 2017
3126B Cat, 330hp
MD3060 Allison
Bowen Island, BC

https://safaritoonces.org/
TDJohn

Re: Replacing the Main Fuel Line

Post by TDJohn »

Robert,

It all depends on how the line was routed and the access you have. I would guess that the tank would need to be lowered enough to have access to do the work.

I would suggest to call Bill, I think he changed his. He unfortunately is not very active on this forum.
John
'95 Serengeti, Cummins C8.3-300
Allison 6spd.