Wheel gasket hub to wheel rim

Pretty much everything on the bottom side of the coach: Steering, wheels, tires, brakes, suspension
Safaritoonces

Wheel gasket hub to wheel rim

Post by Safaritoonces »

I had the front wheel off to run new fuel line then put the front wheel back on, put the Jack and tools away and remembered there was a gasket between the hub and wheel that I had forgot to put on. What purpose does it serve? Is that to stop electrolysis between the alloy rim and steel hub? I'll put it back but how long can I leave it for? I am not looking forward to doing that work again in the rain on gravel.
Robert and Bev Lewis
2000 Safari Continental, since 2017
3126B Cat, 330hp
MD3060 Allison
Bowen Island, BC

https://safaritoonces.org/
stuplich@ymail.com

Re: Wheel gasket hub to wheel rim

Post by stuplich@ymail.com »

Safaritoonces wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:07 am I had the front wheel off to run new fuel line then put the front wheel back on, put the Jack and tools away and remembered there was a gasket between the hub and whee that I had forgot to put on. What purpose does it serve? Is that to stop electrolysis between the alloy rim and steel hub? I'll put it back but how long can I leave it for? I am not looking forward to doing that work again in the rain on gravel.
Robert
Are you talking about the black plastic "wheel guard" as seen on the wheel lugs in the far left of this image?

Mel
'96 Sahara 3530, mine since '01
250 hp 3126 Cat, MD3060 Allison
map40

Post by map40 »

It is to prevent galvanic corrosion. I can do without for a few days maybe a week, but no more than that.
Safaritoonces

Post by Safaritoonces »

Mel, map40

Yes that is the one... looks like I have to pull the wheel off sooner than later.

Thanks again.
Robert and Bev Lewis
2000 Safari Continental, since 2017
3126B Cat, 330hp
MD3060 Allison
Bowen Island, BC

https://safaritoonces.org/