kwikee step

Pretty much everything on the bottom side of the coach: Steering, wheels, tires, brakes, suspension
jcking

kwikee step

Post by jcking »

hi everybody, Has anyone replaced the little gear plugs in the 32 series, and where are they? it keeps jamming,
jim king. 97 serengeti, 3126 300 cat, 6spd allison. it
Jim King
97 serengeti
300 cat. 6 spd allison
Subway

Re: kwikee step

Post by Subway »

I have recently been fighting with my Kwikee steps (Series 27) and had to replace the "little gear plugs" in the gear drive of the electric motor. These electric motors are actually just old power window drive motors from late 80's Ford cars and the "plugs" referred to here can be bought at the auto parts store or online. Look for Dorman Products part number #74410. The description is: WINDOW REGULATOR GEAR PLUG. Cost is about $8. To replace them you will need to remove the motor / gear assembly that moves the steps (usually 4 small bolts and a pin and cotter pin that connects the motor assembly to the steps). Once you get that out put it on the bench and remove the 3 screws that attach the motor to the gear drive. Then remove one small screw and pry off the cover for the drive gear. This will reveal a round plastic gear with a triangular shaped cutout in it that has a smaller metal triangular piece in it. The plugs go at the three corners of the plastic gear's cut-out and are wedged in there with the metal triangular piece. Be sure to keep up with the pieces when you take them out and clean all the debris from the old plugs that broke up. It is a bit of a pain to put the plugs in the gear and get the metal piece back in at the same time but if you get the metal piece partially in and then put all 3 plugs in at a slight angle then you can pop the gear down and the job is done. Like I said it's a pain but after you do it once it'll all make sense. My suggestion is this - There are a lot of YouTube videos that show how this is done. Here is one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8O0ctv9NNc. Good Luck
------------------------------------
John and Sally O
Columbus, GA
1995 Serengeti 3550 Blue Max
8.3 Cummins 350hp
jcking

Post by jcking »

thanks John, i have the plugs . and i will give this a try. Jim KIng, 97 serengeti, 3126 300 cat, 6 spd allison
Jim King
97 serengeti
300 cat. 6 spd allison
Knollibe

Post by Knollibe »

I gave up and ordered a new gearbox with new motor.
Dwayne
1996 safari Sahara since 2010
Chev Colorado zr2 toad, electric pedego bikes.
3rd motorhome.
Handlebar Jim

Post by Handlebar Jim »

Jim Hoerst
94 37' serengeti
Hi, Did you by any chance come across any info on the gear itself ? My plugs are good but gear is close to toothless.
Thank You
Handlebar Jim

Post by Handlebar Jim »

Jim Hoerst
94 37' serengeti

Actually upon further review, mine doesn't use 3 plug system. Has one connected 6 plug ring. Sorry for the confusion.
Thanks, Jim
jcking

Post by jcking »

Hi everybody, after a week of freezing weather , no power or water(Galveston), i took the motor and gear box off the Kwikee step, the gear plugs were reduced to a small pile of bad pasta. Cleaned all the parts , up, after about 30 minutes of pushing the new plugs under that 1st drive gear and seating it , the rest was easy, and it works just as advertised. thanks for all the encouragement , spent 9 dollars for the plugs at autozone.i took a photo but i have not figured out how to post it. the pile of ground up gear plugs was pretty funny. jim king, 97 serengeti, 3126 cat, 6spd allison,
Jim King
97 serengeti
300 cat. 6 spd allison
TDJohn

Post by TDJohn »

Jim,

Did you end up using your RV generator for power to help you stay warm?

Is power back on?
John
'95 Serengeti, Cummins C8.3-300
Allison 6spd.