Ralph Andrew's excellent, easy to follow directions on adjusting ride height

Pretty much everything on the bottom side of the coach: Steering, wheels, tires, brakes, suspension
TDJohn

Re: Ralph Andrew's excellent, easy to follow directions on adjusting ride height

Post by TDJohn »

ChrisTrina wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:01 pm I have a new to us 99 Zanzibar is the measurements for the height the same or should i look somewhere for Model Specific? 22.5 wheels
Yes, your ride height measurements would be the same, assuming you have the VelvetRide torsional suspension.
John
'95 Serengeti, Cummins C8.3-300
Allison 6spd.
wolfe10

Re: Ralph Andrew's excellent, easy to follow directions on adjusting ride height

Post by wolfe10 »

CactusTwo wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:02 pm Here is a direct quote from Pioneer Metal's website
"Torque the bolts that hold the shim pack together (9/16-18) to 115 ft. lbs"
Correct. With the understanding that you are torquing on good, undamaged threads. Sometimes, where the bolt goes through the bottom plate for those many years, the threads are damaged. EASY to eye ball-- take up the slack/tighten one bolt most of the way and check the threads on the other three. Then use another bolt to enable you to check the threads on the first one.

I have seen a few, where someone used incorrect nuts. They need to be TALL BOY NUTS with the extra threads to allow torque to 115 ft-lbs. I guess in an emergency you could double nut instead.
Brett and Dianne Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'. Ex 1997 Safari Sahara. Ex 1993 Foretravel U240
Moderator, FMCA Forums 2009-2020
Chairman, FMCA Technical Advisory Committee 2011- 2020
Moderator, http://www.dieselrvclub.org/ (FMCA chapter) 2002-
Leigh.Calnek

Post by Leigh.Calnek »

OK...I now have ordered the Koni 88-1458SP1 shocks for the rear. They are to arrive on Monday. I am assuming that I should set them to maximum as I did with the front. John, any thoughts you have on that will be appreciated.

The coach is not fully loaded but I will be working on that over the next two weeks, expecting to leave shortly after April 20. Weather will be the determining factor. I am wanting to see two, and preferably 3 good looking days to make it back through the mountains.

I have measured the coach height as per Ralph Andrew's instructions. It appears that I will have some shims to be removed but will wait until I am home to tackle that. My front measures 23.25 and the rear are at 24.5. The good news I guess would be that left and right sides are the same. I will be interested in seeing how the coach measures once fully loaded and air bags inflated. I plan to try 20 lbs in the air bags for the trip home.

This conversation has been most valuable for me and I thank all of you who took time to provide opinions and advice.
-----------------------------
Leigh & Georgette Calnek
'97 Safari Continental/Sofa Slide
3126B Cat, MD3060 Allison
Toad: 2006 Chev Colorado 4X4
TDJohn

Post by TDJohn »

Leigh,

Yes, set them to the maximum dampening.
John
'95 Serengeti, Cummins C8.3-300
Allison 6spd.
chuckster

Post by chuckster »

Leigh.Calnek wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:06 pm OK...I now have ordered the Koni 88-1458SP1 shocks for the rear. They are to arrive on Monday. I am assuming that I should set them to maximum as I did with the front. John, any thoughts you have on that will be appreciated.

The coach is not fully loaded but I will be working on that over the next two weeks, expecting to leave shortly after April 20. Weather will be the determining factor. I am wanting to see two, and preferably 3 good looking days to make it back through the mountains.

I have measured the coach height as per Ralph Andrew's instructions. It appears that I will have some shims to be removed but will wait until I am home to tackle that. My front measures 23.25 and the rear are at 24.5. The good news I guess would be that left and right sides are the same. I will be interested in seeing how the coach measures once fully loaded and air bags inflated. I plan to try 20 lbs in the air bags for the trip home.

This conversation has been most valuable for me and I thank all of you who took time to provide opinions and advice.
-----------------------------
Leigh & Georgette Calnek
'97 Safari Continental/Sofa Slide
3126B Cat, MD3060 Allison
Toad: 2006 Chev Colorado 4X4
Hi Leigh,

I was wondering which vendor you chose to purchase your shocks from and why you did...price? Availability?

Thanks!
Chuck & Mitzi
'01 Safari Zanzibar 3646 (side entry)
Cat 3126B / Allison MD3060
Magnum M-Series "Blue Max" chassis
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland toad
Leigh.Calnek

Post by Leigh.Calnek »

Chuck had asked a while back as to where I had purchased my Koni shocks. I thought I had answered, but I can't see my reply, so will try again.
Purchased from Ultra RV Products, 3912 Harrison Ave, Centralia WA 98531. Not sure how I found them... but they were quick to deliver. Price for the shocks was $159 each.

Made the ride home from BC to Saskatchewan, just over 1000 miles. Blew the serpentine belt 30 minutes out of Hope BC. Got a NAPA replacement part number 080694, a 1-3/32" X 70" OC belt. Took two tries to get the correct length. One of those critical repair pieces that I will make certain to carry spare in the future.

So, once I had replaced all 4 shocks and lowered the air bag pressure to 12 lbs, there was an improvement in the ride. However, hit a bad one and it will still be bad. Steering improvement was noticeable but I still think I will pursue the Safe-T Plus solution. I just need to satisfy myself how the installation plates fasten to the axle. Not really clear to see given the torsion bar setup and what I have seen regarding the installation of the Safe-T Plus unit. I would like to hear from someone who has installed it on a Velvet Ride system. Also, I do have to do some removal of shims all around, and again look to see how that improves both the ride and the steering.

That's it for now. Back home and will not be doing much with it this summer or fall/winter.

Again, thanks to all who joined the discusson.
stuplich@ymail.com

Post by stuplich@ymail.com »

Leigh.Calnek
Please add a signature with the year, make and model of your coach to every post.
(One has to go back to your April 7th post to find that).
Thanks
Mel
'96 Sahara 3530, mine since '01
250 hp 3126 Cat, MD3060 Allison