rear leaf springs

Pretty much everything on the bottom side of the coach: Steering, wheels, tires, brakes, suspension
stnicjr

rear leaf springs

Post by stnicjr »

My "97 30ft. Safari Sahara on a BlueStreak chassis has developed annoying squeaking noise coming from the rear springs and/or bushings. The sound is evident when traveling over road irregularities and when raising and lowering the rear jacks. Service man says he is unable to get grease into bushings and at a loss of where to find correct replacements. I am based in the inland NW and would appreciate any advice to correct this issue.

Glenn in Moscow, ID
1997 Safari Sahara 30 ft.
Cat 3126
05wingrider

Re: rear leaf springs

Post by 05wingrider »

Glenn, I have to ask this - before you go to a LOT of work, has your mechanic replaced the zerk fittings? I've seen and had too many of them that were plugged up, and when a new one was installed the fitting took grease like it was supposed to. As far as to replacing them, you probably would have to come up to Spokane or CdA to one of the truck service centers.
Duane
96 Sahara 30', 250hp Cat 3126
Allison 6spd MD-3060
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk "Toad"
Spokane WA
CactusTwo

Post by CactusTwo »

I do believe that if it is a greaseable spring/ shackle bolt with a zerK that there is a proper rotation position for the grease to come out. You must look at the bolt and place the grease exit hole along the bolt shaft facing to 5 or 7 o'clock so the grease can come out.
Len and Brenda Nugent
Alberta, Canada, fulltimers since 2012
1996 Safari Serengeti 3740 front door, bought in Feb 2019
Cat 3126 300hp, Allison MD3060, VelvetRide suspension
sold 2008 GMC Duramax 3500 and 37' Cedar Creek 5th wheel
stuplich@ymail.com

Post by stuplich@ymail.com »

Glenn
Try
P and P Truck and Trailer Repair
3108 North And South Highway
Lewiston, ID 83501
(208) 743-7665

Or Google: "commercial truck and trailer spring repair near moscow id".
Mel
'96 Sahara 3530, mine since '01
250 hp 3126 Cat, MD3060 Allison
vintagecarnut

Post by vintagecarnut »

I own a 36' 1997 Sahara with leaf spring suspension and had this same problem recently. Leaf spring pin wouldn't take grease using my pneumatic grease gun or my manual pump grease gun no matter how hard I tried. I replaced the zerk fitting and raised my wheels off the ground and still no luck. I removed the zerk fitting, cleaned the axial hole grease passageway in the pin and used a short piece of welding rod to try and remove any blockage that may be in the grease passageway. Nothing I tried worked so I decided to remove the entire leaf spring, hangers and brackets to gain access the the bad pin. After sleeping on it and given the huge job it would be to remove the spring I decided to try one more thing and it worked great. This is how I was able to fix it. I measured the grease passageway and it is .343" in diameter so the manufacturer used a 11/32 drill to produce the hole. I filled the passageway with grease, insert a 11/32 pin and smacked it several times with a ball peen hammer. The pin served as a piston and the shock associated with the hammer blow dislodged whatever was blocking the grease passageway. The pins accepts grease freely now and I save myself a ton of work. I hope this process helps others.