Front Steer Oil Bath Hub leak

Pretty much everything on the bottom side of the coach: Steering, wheels, tires, brakes, suspension
Holoholo

Front Steer Oil Bath Hub leak

Post by Holoholo »

My front right hub seems to be leaking oil. The level still in limits, but noticed oil after driving and wiped the rim and tire down. After storing for winter(different story) and not FT, There was a larger amount in the dirt.
Only shows oil on the outside, and not on inside of rim. "Believe" it is only the outer gasket needing replacement. RV in the shop for other maintenance and them checking this out.
Anyone know the proper gasket, cost and ease of changing out of gasket, before the shop tries to get me to replace the whole hub???

Troy Townsend
2000 Safari Zanzibar
3126B
2018 Jeep Wrangler
Troy Townsend
2000 Safari Zanzibar (since 2018)
3126B
TOAD- 2018 Jeep Wrangler
TDJohn

Re: Front Steer Oil Bath Hub leak

Post by TDJohn »

Troy,

Here is a link of a similar oil bath hub cover. See what brand and style you have and then plug that info into google and you should be able to easily find the gasket or what ever particular part you need to resolve the leak.

https://www.amazon.com/STEMCO-343-4009- ... 6729&psc=1
John
'95 Serengeti, Cummins C8.3-300
Allison 6spd.
stuplich@ymail.com

Post by stuplich@ymail.com »

Holoholo wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:01 am My front right hub seems to be leaking oil. The level still in limits, but noticed oil after driving and wiped the rim and tire down. After storing for winter(different story) and not FT, There was a larger amount in the dirt.
Only shows oil on the outside, and not on inside of rim. "Believe" it is only the outer gasket needing replacement. RV in the shop for other maintenance and them checking this out.
Anyone know the proper gasket, cost and ease of changing out of gasket, before the shop tries to get me to replace the whole hub???

Troy Townsend
2000 Safari Zanzibar
3126B
2018 Jeep Wrangler
Tony
It could be that the the outer front wheel seal is bad:

Last edited by stuplich@ymail.com on Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mel
'96 Sahara 3530, mine since '01
250 hp 3126 Cat, MD3060 Allison
Holoholo

Post by Holoholo »

Thanks for the insights. It turns out the plastic hub had a small crack in it. I'm sure I will be ac=sking for advise more in the near future.
House batteries next replacement!
Troy Townsend
2000 Safari Zanzibar (since 2018)
3126B
TOAD- 2018 Jeep Wrangler