Ride quality improvement after torsilastic spring replacement

Pretty much everything on the bottom side of the coach: Steering, wheels, tires, brakes, suspension
Glenn

Ride quality improvement after torsilastic spring replacement

Post by Glenn »

I would be interested in feedback from anyone that has either replaced the torsilastic springs on their rig, or installed supplemental air spring kits such as offered by Pioneer Metal Works. My primary interest is improvement in ride quality, although I understand this is very subjective.

I have all the shims out of my left side springs, and about half the shims out o the right side. The rig is level, but still about a half inch below ride hight. Tire pressure set to axle weights based on Toyo inflation chart. I've also installed Koni shocks. Rig still rides like a truck, pounds over every seem and pavemment joint. And any rough pavement or pot hole rattles averything from bumper to bumper.

Suspension upgrades are expensive. Would like to have some expectation that there will actually be an improvement in ride quality if I elect to make the investment.

Glenn Barney
'97 Continental 4006, Cat 3126
ricknhelenssafari

Re: Ride quality improvement after torsilastic spring replacement

Post by ricknhelenssafari »

Hello Glenn,

We have a 98 Sahara 3006 with the velvet ride. This unit has less than 30k miles on it (previous owner I believe was limited in his use by it's terrible handling characteristics as stock) but the torsilastic parts are still in great shape. Our biggest problem, as I mentioned, was the handling issue which we cured completely with a liberal application of every thing Ralph Andrews ever invented for the problem that came with the short little 30 footers in addition to a few other tweaks. Our ride seemed fine with the suspension still being low millage but we have gone ahead and installed the air bag kit as a preventative measure. However, and this is a big however as far as helping you, we have yet to pull it out of the shop and try it on the road. We're in the middle of adding a solar set up, battery bank(s) replacement, a fridge recall, an on demand water heater and a host of other improvements ( my wife might refer to them as play projects which I guess they are) and I am still probably a month out of being finished. I wish I could tell you how the air bags influence the coach both in handling and ride but I'm not there yet. I'm sort of speculating you could compensate for a sacked out system somewhat with the air bags and with them being individually adjustable you could address each corner to its need. Perhaps you might call John at Henderson's line up in Oregon and I'm sure he can advise you on anything relating to the problem. They also are dealers for all of PMW products for Safari coaches. Good luck!

Rick and Helen Lee
Robert K

Post by Robert K »

Hello,
I have replaced left front Torsion tube added airbags front and rear (Hellewig w my fabricated brackets)Koni shocks all 4 and Tiger Trak bars front and rear.
Nothing helps on those big joints or potholes. Handles way better in the wind and just going down the road. I believe Tiger traks and air bgs helped alot.
I also changed and added a 2nd panhard rod on front axle from Pioneer metals
Bob
96 Serengeti 37'
3126 Cat
6 speed Allison
2011 jeep wrangler towd
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

Rick & Bob,
Thank you both for your responses. Bob, wish you the best with all your renovation projects. Rick, can you tell me which type/part nmberHelwig air springs you installed?

Glenn Barney
'97 Coneinental 4006, CAT 3126
Glenn B.
1997 Safari Continental 4006
CAT 3126 330
ricknhelenssafari

Post by ricknhelenssafari »

Hello Glenn,

Actually I bought the Pioneer Metal Works kit through the SuperSteer division of Henderson's Line Up. I's on sale right now on their website for $2675.00. The kit comes with everything included for installation such as brackets, airbags, hardware, airlines, air manifold, air tank, regulators(4), air fittings, metal mounting template and other stuff I'm sure I'm forgetting. Seems I remember that the airbags were Firestone. The kit uses the Pacbrake air compressor as an air supply. I'd suggest you get in touch with Henderson's for more info. The part number for the kit is 10-600 and you can see it in their on line catalog. Their phone number is 888-898-3281. I, or should I say we ( my 34 year old son who is much more nimble than I am did the grunt work) installed the kit with no problem. However we had the benefit of having a fully equipped shop and all the heavy equipment tools, equipment and experience to get the job done. One thing I might mention is we had to make a limiting chain set up on the rear suspension to take the weight off the fully extended suspension as it put too much "pull" on the airbags ( in my opinion ) in the totally jacked up slack position. Easy and cheap to do though and should never be noticed in real world driving unless you are in to competitive motorhome jumping. Hope this helps a bit.

Rick
chuckster

Post by chuckster »

All good info....Lowers my expectations of how well my newly-purchased Komi shocks are going to improve those bridge transitions and bumps in the road. Guess a decent ride is a $5K investment. :cry:
Chuck & Mitzi
'01 Safari Zanzibar 3646 (side entry)
Cat 3126B / Allison MD3060
Magnum M-Series "Blue Max" chassis
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland toad