lube chassis Magnum

Pretty much everything on the bottom side of the coach: Steering, wheels, tires, brakes, suspension
stemo76

lube chassis Magnum

Post by stemo76 »

I have a 2000 Harney with a Magnum chassis on air bag suspension. I don't find any grease fittings on any of the suspension components.

The rear squeaks so much when walking around without the jacks. Any suggestions on what products I could try and spray into the bushings, maybe white lithium?

Any products to use on the airbags to keep the material in good shape and quiet?
2000 Harney Renegade 38ft
TDJohn

Re: lube chassis Magnum

Post by TDJohn »

Consider having a good suspension shop look at it. You could have some of the large bushings starting to wear out.
How many miles on the coach?

Your steering linkages (tie-rod ends, pitman arm, etc.) should all have zirk fitting and need to be greased. Also, the fan hub bearing on the CAT engine has a zirk fitting, that needs to be greased periodically.
John
'95 Serengeti, Cummins C8.3-300
Allison 6spd.
stemo76

Post by stemo76 »

Just under 40k on the odometer. Things are so large its hard to get enough leverage on anything to check for play. I don't see any of the bushing cracking out or starting to come apart.

I do get all the steering and fan hub zerts every year.
wolfe10

Post by wolfe10 »

stemo76 wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:37 pm Things are so large its hard to get enough leverage on anything to check for play. I don't see any of the bushing cracking out or starting to come apart.
Very easy with two people-- at least to check all the steering linkage:

With engine off, have your helper turn the steering wheel back and forth-- just the play.

You will be under the coach (properly set on safety stands if air suspension) and watch from input shaft on the steering box all the way to the steering knuckle on the right front wheel.

Movement in, but not out of a joint= WEAR.

If just the boots are bad, an option (reasonable option) is to grease them more frequently, but only replace when that 4 minute "play- check" tells you there IS play.
Brett and Dianne Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'. Ex 1997 Safari Sahara. Ex 1993 Foretravel U240
Moderator, FMCA Forums 2009-2020
Chairman, FMCA Technical Advisory Committee 2011- 2020
Moderator, http://www.dieselrvclub.org/ (FMCA chapter) 2002-
stemo76

Post by stemo76 »

I am referring more to the suspension, like the rear track bar or the bushings in the control arms.