Fuel tank vent question

Pretty much everything on the bottom side of the coach: Steering, wheels, tires, brakes, suspension
05wingrider

Fuel tank vent question

Post by 05wingrider »

I've asked this before but didn't have a picture to explain what I was talking about, so here it goes again. When I fill my '96, if I'm not paying close attention I get fuel spill on the ground when the tank is totally full, and I've traced it back to the vent that comes across the top of the tank (see the red arrow). My question is should there be something on the end of the line instead of it just dumping between the tank and frame like it does (such as a canister, etc)? Most of the rigs that I drove at work that were large tanks like this either didn't have a vent like this, or if they did, it went up the frame so that it was higher than the tank itself and the fuel fill nozzle (which I admit would be a challenge in the Sahara).

I sent a short note to Transfer Flow asking about it, but kind of like last time I asked they so far haven't answered me

Thanks for thoughts, ideas, whatever - I'm just kind of looking for input if I have an issue or not.
Attachments
fuel tank w arrow1.jpg
fuel tank w arrow1.jpg (213.26 KiB) Viewed 3643 times
Duane
96 Sahara 30', 250hp Cat 3126
Allison 6spd MD-3060
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk "Toad"
Spokane WA
stuplich@ymail.com

Re: Fuel tank vent question

Post by stuplich@ymail.com »

05wingrider wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:54 pm I've asked this before but didn't have a picture to explain what I was talking about, so here it goes again. When I fill my '96, if I'm not paying close attention I get fuel spill on the ground when the tank is totally full, and I've traced it back to the vent that comes across the top of the tank (see the red arrow). My question is should there be something on the end of the line instead of it just dumping between the tank and frame like it does (such as a canister, etc)? Most of the rigs that I drove at work that were large tanks like this either didn't have a vent like this, or if they did, it went up the frame so that it was higher than the tank itself and the fuel fill nozzle (which I admit would be a challenge in the Sahara).
I sent a short note to Transfer Flow asking about it, but kind of like last time I asked they so far haven't answered me
Thanks for thoughts, ideas, whatever - I'm just kind of looking for input if I have an issue or not.
Duane
Mine does the same but only if filled to the very top of the filler neck, (up near the opening).
Mel
'96 Sahara 3530, mine since '01
250 hp 3126 Cat, MD3060 Allison
05wingrider

Post by 05wingrider »

stuplich@ymail.com wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:30 pm Duane
Mine does the same but only if filled to the very top of the filler neck, (up near the opening).
Mel,
That's part of what was so annoying about when mine does it - I could see it possibly if the fuel was that far up the neck, but it starts leaking before that point (thus my paranoia and irritation about it). It's all the way towards the top of the tank, and I can see a clip where it's held in place on the side, so hoping that I can maybe get a solid piece of plastic tubing onto it and then plug it down at the bottom, or maybe figure out a way to put a rubber cap on it. Of course it's in an area that's only about 1/2 inch wide, so trying to just reach in there is out of the question. Big brother is going to look at it and see if his idea will work or not - I'm at the point that anything has got be better than what it does now!
Duane
Allison 6spd MD-3060
Spokane WA
05wingrider

Post by 05wingrider »

Update for anyone following - I took a cap from an oil sampling tube (thanks, US Air Force for throwing them out once the tube was used), notched a flat piece of aluminum stock and put a little piece of tape on it to hold the cap in place, then gently tapped it onto the line. It went on with just a little bit of assistance, so hopefully it will stay in place and my overflow leak issue is solved! I'll know in about a week - we hit the road for Disneyland, then we will spend a week at the Famcamp at Nellis (at which time I'll crawl underneath and see if said cap is still in place). Here's to hoping this issue is finally put to bed, and possibly a viable solution for anyone else that has the same problems (and if anyone does, I have a few of those caps and would be wiling to send one out once we get back home to anyone interested)
Duane
Allison 6spd MD-3060
Spokane WA