Removing inner rear wheels, diff seal

Pretty much everything on the bottom side of the coach: Steering, wheels, tires, brakes, suspension
billybob

Removing inner rear wheels, diff seal

Post by billybob »

Hi all,

I replace my front calipers which were dragging but it seems my rear ones are too. Got stuck when I couldn't remove the inner rear wheels. They were off recently when I got new tires. Is there a trick to this or does it require big truck tools?

Also the overheated calipers seem to have caused a leak on the diff cover. Is this a difficult fix?

Thanks for any advice.
1993 Safari Ivory 3430
Oshkosh VC-22, Cummins 8.3 with Banks Stinger Kit
6 Speed Allison World Transmission, Leaf Springs
Robert K

Re: Removing inner rear wheels, diff seal

Post by Robert K »

Are your lugnuts right hand on right ,left hand on left. What size tire.
I tourqe mine to 450 lbs
Bob
96 Serengeti 37'
3126 Cat
6 speed Allison
2011 jeep wrangler towd
Safaritoonces

Post by Safaritoonces »

I had dragging issues with my brakes, front and back. What I have been told is the phenolic cups absorb water if sitting to long and seize or don't release fully. On mine they overheated the pads and crumbled the lining, on the rear one seal was leaking and two abs sensors melted. I carry an infra red temp gun now. There was a FB post by Willie Mack on changing the rear seal, he went through all the steps with pictures... an excellent post. I didn't do mine, I got caught away from home and had to have the work done in a truck shop. $5,000 Cdn. I still have one front brake dragging. I think it is the brake pads not sliding in the carrier... off shore castings is my guess. I had this on my F350 when I did the brakes about a month ago.

Sometimes the sliders need cleaning and lube as well.
Robert and Bev Lewis
2000 Safari Continental, since 2017
3126B Cat, 330hp
MD3060 Allison
Bowen Island, BC

https://safaritoonces.org/
billybob

Post by billybob »

Oh, I was able to remove the lug nuts and the outer wheels. The inner wheels? Nothing holding them on, they were just stuck on the hub or bolts. Maybe the dragging caliper heated it up and got it stuck. I think I'll try fighting with it again. Maybe this time.
1993 Safari Ivory 3430
ProCycle

Post by ProCycle »

billybob wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:03 pm Oh, I was able to remove the lug nuts and the outer wheels. The inner wheels? Nothing holding them on, they were just stuck on the hub or bolts. Maybe the dragging caliper heated it up and got it stuck. I think I'll try fighting with it again. Maybe this time.
Are you sure nothing is holding them on? I thought the same thing the first time I removed mine. Removed the lug nuts and the outer wheel but the inner wheel was 100% stuck. Turns out it uses "Budd Nuts". The outer nut screws onto the Budd nut. Once the outer wheel is removed the Budd nuts have to be removed to get the inner wheel off. The Budd nuts are what is actually screwed onto the lugs. The Budd nuts look like lugs but have a square drive on the end. You need a Budd nut socket to remove them.

Here's a pic
Jeff
1997 Ivory Edition 3740 Cat 3126 Allison
billybob

Post by billybob »

Thanks, yes, I had a pile of lug nuts and budd nuts. I found a tool online called dually buddy. Don't really want to buy yet another specialty tool but it would be cheaper than taking it into a shop for new calipers. I'll probably wrestle with this again. Maybe all the PB Blaster I sprayed on it has helped.
1993 Safari Ivory 3430
TDJohn

Post by TDJohn »

billybob wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:03 pm Oh, I was able to remove the lug nuts and the outer wheels. The inner wheels? Nothing holding them on, they were just stuck on the hub or bolts. Maybe the dragging caliper heated it up and got it stuck. I think I'll try fighting with it again. Maybe this time.
There is an inner nut that is holding your inner dual wheels. Bellow is a link to a sample of one, so you could visualize it. You will need a proper sized square socket to get it off.

https://www.4statetrucks.com/wheels/sem ... ZLEALw_wcB
John
'95 Serengeti, Cummins C8.3-300
Allison 6spd.
Robert K

Post by Robert K »

oops stupid me I didn't realize you didn't know that is the inner nut.

Go to HF, mine was in the set of 3/4" impact deep sockets
https://www.harborfreight.com/hand-tool ... 67935.html
Bob
96 Serengeti 37'
3126 Cat
6 speed Allison
2011 jeep wrangler towd
billybob

Post by billybob »

Thanks for the help. I had actually not removed the budd nuts. Took them off and the wheel came right off.

I found replacement calipers/pads at O'Reillys with next day delivery. These have metal pistons so that's a win.
1993 Safari Ivory 3430
Joeoren

Post by Joeoren »

Can you list part numbers for front and rear calipers? I've recently replaced my front but I know the rears will need it soon. Also a torque multipler makes this job possible without any impacts or fancy tools. I carry one for emergency situations now.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NPT6172 ... lsrc=aw.ds&
1990 safari serengeti High Tech editon 8.2T Detroit AT545
2009 Subaru outback xt - Toad 1
1999 mazda miata - Toad 2