1995 Safari Sahara 5.9 Cummins

Pretty much everything on the bottom side of the coach: Steering, wheels, tires, brakes, suspension
oldcobia

1995 Safari Sahara 5.9 Cummins

Post by oldcobia »

Recently bought and man are there issues to track down. Ac and heating only come out of vents. Looking for vacuum pump if there is one. Air horn and Pacbrake not working. Compressor not coming on. Can’t get brake lights to work. Jump wires at switch and back up pump working. Really nice unit and looking forward to traveling.
1995 Safari Sahara 35’ 5.9 Cummins MD3060
HotRod69

Re: 1995 Safari Sahara 5.9 Cummins

Post by HotRod69 »

:shock: welcome to the wonderful world of motorhomes
Erik&Lorrie
1999 Sahara 35' 300hp 3126b
Toney Alabama
TDJohn

Post by TDJohn »

oldcobia wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:02 am Recently bought and man are there issues to track down. Ac and heating only come out of vents. Looking for vacuum pump if there is one. Air horn and Pacbrake not working. Compressor not coming on. Can’t get brake lights to work. Jump wires at switch and back up pump working. Really nice unit and looking forward to traveling.
The vacuum pump should located under the dash towards the center, a bit hard to get to unless you take the dash apart. The vacuum pump fuse is located in the front mini hood compartment in the fuse box that is energized only when the ignition switch is on. The odd thing on your coach, is when vacuum is lost the heater, a/c, and defroster function default in defrost mode, so one could still keep their windshield clear. Yours defaulting on vents is strange, maybe the previous owner switched the ducting to avoid the cost of having to replace the vacuum pump. Any 12v pump should work just fine. Be aware that if you have any vacuum leaks, it will force the pump to run constantly, which would cause the pump to burn out.

The air compressor is usually located in the engine compartment sitting above the transmission. You could have a blown fuse, bad pressure switch, relay or the compressor itself could the toast. Without air compressor, you won't have Pac Brake nor air horn function.
John
'95 Serengeti, Cummins C8.3-300
Allison 6spd.
TDJohn

Post by TDJohn »

PS: Safari are very well built, quality coaches, once you get the bugs worked out, I confident that you will enjoy it for a long time.

What color is your coach?
John
Allison 6spd.
marek

Post by marek »

So the pacbrake and airhorns run off the same compressor that is just impossible to get at on my coach. Yes above the transmission but deep and inaccessible. They must have installed them before the engine/trans installation. Before it failed it was running all the time so there were leaks somewhere. Trying to trace them would be silly in an old coach. So I just installed a new compressor where it was convenient to access, and ran all new lines and fittings to the components and to the accumulator tank (mine is in front of front passenger tire) and now I'm golden. It was easy to install and it works great.
oldcobia

Post by oldcobia »

Coach is silver with brown and mauve accents. Thanks for info. At FDR state park now but looking forward to working out bugs. Thanks
Jdviescad

Post by Jdviescad »

Does any of you have the Oshkosh chassis? If so, I’m looking for info on the throttle linkage at the P-Pump. Ours came apart on the road and I did a McGiver on it, it works ok but my cruise control no longer works. Photos would be great thanks
TDJohn

Post by TDJohn »

Jdviescad wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:17 am Does any of you have the Oshkosh chassis? If so, I’m looking for info on the throttle linkage at the P-Pump. Ours came apart on the road and I did a McGiver on it, it works ok but my cruise control no longer works. Photos would be great thanks
Jdviesced,

You should start your own thread, since the current thread is not even an Oshkosh chassis.
Edit: I posted the photos on your original post of June of last year, which is in the "drive train section, titled "‘94, 5.9 throttle cable". The photos are from an 8.3 Cummins on a Magnum chassis, but since the P-Pump is the same, the linkage is likely similar. Maybe someone else can post better photos.
John
Allison 6spd.
oldcobia

Post by oldcobia »

If I just replace vacuum pump with aftermarket any suggestions as to which one to get. Also where should initial vacuum source be connected to new pump. Cruise control doesn’t work also I suspect it’s vacuum operated also. Fuse in good. Thanks
oldcobia

Post by oldcobia »

Cannot find vacuum pump up front anywhere. Did find a Gast brand pump/vacuum in back. Makes terrible noise when connected to 12V. Looking to repair or replace.