1995 Sahara

Pretty much everything on the bottom side of the coach: Steering, wheels, tires, brakes, suspension
oldcobia

1995 Sahara

Post by oldcobia »

I'm a new member and what a wealth of info on this site. Was reading about Koni shocks and looking for numbers for front and back. '95 Sahara 35' with 5.9 and leaf springs. Thanks
1995 Safari Sahara 35’ 5.9 Cummins MD3060
TDJohn

Re: 1995 Sahara

Post by TDJohn »

oldcobia wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:34 am I'm a new member and what a wealth of info on this site. Was reading about Koni shocks and looking for numbers for front and back. '95 Sahara 35' with 5.9 and leaf springs. Thanks
Welcome!

The correct Koni shocks are:

Front: 88-1641SP3

Rear: 88-1458SP1

NOTE: It is crucial to order the shocks by part number NOT by year, make, and model. Otherwise you will get the ineffective useless shocks, wasting your money.
These Koni shocks are adjustable, I would strongly suggest to set them at maximum dampening, especially if you will be driving rough roads like in California. At maximum dampening, these shocks literally get rid of all porpoising and severe bouncing on rough roads.
John
'95 Serengeti, Cummins C8.3-300
Allison 6spd.
oldcobia

Post by oldcobia »

Replaced shocks with the Koni's as recommended by John and made a world of difference on the ride. Still has some wander but hope an alignment will take care of that. Do shops have good specs or should I take some in?
TDJohn

Post by TDJohn »

Over inflation, especially of the front tires will make the coach wonder. If you have weighed the coach (fully loaded for travel), please provide the axle weights and total weight of the coach. Also please provide the tire size and brand/model so we can check the tire inflation chart and recommend what tire pressure to run front and back.
What tire pressures are you running on the coach right now?

Also, check your kingpins, if you have even a little slop, it can make the coach wonder, especially because Safaris are known to be too light in the front. So shifting heavier items like tools towards the front compartments helps.

I have alignment specs buried somewhere, when I have a chance I will try to look for it. It is crucial to have caster of at least 5 degrees, half a degree more on the passenger side. I would start with the simple stuff, weighing the coach, shifting more weight forward, checking king pins, adjusting tire inflation according to the load you are carrying, and see if there are marked improvements. If there is no improvement, then alignment would be next.
John
Allison 6spd.
oldcobia

Post by oldcobia »

Cold pressures at 92 and after travel goes up to around 105 with ambient temperatures in mid to high 80's. Will get coach weighed after getting steering fixed. Toyo tires 154, 245/75R/22.5 Thanks
ccastle

Post by ccastle »

John, the label on the wall by the drivers seat says 115 lbs front as of back in my 98 Sahara. Would you suggest lowering my pressure?
Chuck, KD7UA
1998 Safari Sahara 3506 (since 9/2020)
Cat/Allison
ProCycle

Post by ProCycle »

I run mine at 115 cold. Lower pressures will build up more heat in the tires.
Jeff
1997 Ivory Edition 3740 Cat 3126 Allison
TDJohn

Post by TDJohn »

oldcobia wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 5:26 am Cold pressures at 92 and after travel goes up to around 105 with ambient temperatures in mid to high 80's. Will get coach weighed after getting steering fixed. Toyo tires 154, 245/75R/22.5 Thanks
Toyo tire inflation chart shows that at 90 psi, the tires on your front axle can carry 4140lbs each, so 8280lbs for the front axle, assuming the coach weight is evenly distributed right to left. I highly doubt you front axle is weighing in that heavy, but one can't take a chance on guessing. Ideally, have the coach weighed at all 4 corners, this way you have a chance to distribute the weight more evenly and you can have a more accurate and safe inflation without needing to ride on rocks being potentially severely overinflated.
When you get your coach weighed, post your numbers and I will help you get the inflation numbers you need.
John
Allison 6spd.
TDJohn

Post by TDJohn »

ccastle wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 9:17 am John, the label on the wall by the drivers seat says 115 lbs front as of back in my 98 Sahara. Would you suggest lowering my pressure?
Chuck,

The label shows inflation for a maximum loaded coach on both axles, most often showing the maximum tire inflation number of the particular brand and size tire the coach was sold with. A big part of the reason is liability, as the manufacturer does not know how much weight you will put in the coach and how you will distribute that weight, so the numbers provided are often, but not always, grossly over inflated, especially for the front axle on the SMC made safaris (most had poor weight distribution and were too light in the front). On an anecdotal note, long ago, Brett Wolfe helped a fellow Safari owner relocate his generator from the most rear street side compartment, to the most front curbside compartment, to help counter the very poor weight distribution. Some added steel plates at the front of the coach to help get a proper front to rear ratio. If you read through the legacy section on the forum, you will see that this use to be a very well known issue with Safaris...

Please post the tire brand model, and size that you are running on your coach. Also, please post the weight of your coach, preferably the weight at each corner, or at least each axle.
I highly doubt you front axle is weighing in that heavy to run 115psi on the front tires, but one can't take a chance on guessing. If you have not done so already, ideally, have the coach weighed at all 4 corners, this way you have a chance to distribute the weight more evenly and you can have a more accurate and safe inflation without needing to ride on rocks being potentially severely overinflated. If you can't find a place to get all 4 corners weighed, then at least take the coach to the nearest CAT scales or like a stone quarry and get front and rear axle weights. Running on overinflated tires not only makes the ride brutally harsh, but it also makes the coach wander all over the road, with the tail wagging the dog.
John
Allison 6spd.
oldcobia

Post by oldcobia »

Finally got RV back with rebuilt steering gearbox. Found out bad stator in generator so bad news there. Took it to get weighed and was 6260 on front axel and 20240 on rear. Running Toyo tires 245/75/22.5 m154. Looking for advice on tire pressure. New Koni shocks made big difference in driving. More comfortable now. Thanks