Cruise Control

Pretty much everything on the bottom side of the coach: Steering, wheels, tires, brakes, suspension
oldcobia

Cruise Control

Post by oldcobia »

Working on cruise control on my 95 Safari 5.9. When I got it had a Gast vacuum pump in back that ran cruise and ac/heat controls. Pump was not working. I installed a vacuum pump like used on Ford diesels up front to just use for ac control(works great) and now working on cruise control. Is the same type pump suitable to use for cruise or should I go back to the Gast pump. If I go back to the Gast pump I will have to add a vacuum switch because I can't find where the original vacuum switch is located. Thanks
1995 Safari Sahara 35’ 5.9 Cummins MD3060
Mark J.

Re: Cruise Control

Post by Mark J. »

I’m following this one. Mine has never worked.
oldcobia

Post by oldcobia »

Well to my delight my cruise control works great now. Just needed a steady vacuum source. Was on my way to have LP generator checked out and steering gear started leaking. I was close to the end of my repair list but now going to start a new one. This is so much fun.
1995 Safari Sahara 35’ 5.9 Cummins MD3060
TDJohn

Post by TDJohn »

If memory serves me correctly, it should be a Sheppard M-80 steering gear box. Search the forum, as I vaguely recall some reputable gear box re-builders in TX and OH. Maybe someone else can chime in who had one rebuilt in the past.
John
'95 Serengeti, Cummins C8.3-300
Allison 6spd.