99 Safari Zanzibar Acceleration and Deceleration Loud Noise

Pretty much everything on the bottom side of the coach: Steering, wheels, tires, brakes, suspension
dorismullinsagent@gmail.com

99 Safari Zanzibar Acceleration and Deceleration Loud Noise

Post by dorismullinsagent@gmail.com »

I purchased a 99 Safari Zanzibar, 330hp, Magnum last year, it was in mint condition until I took it to Camping World to get some minor repairs due to a blowout I had. After 6 months of fighting with them to get it back, I finally picked it up even tho it was not fixed. I am now experiencing a loud noise coming from the rear. It went away for a couple days, now it's back after I stopped at a Love's to dump, my dog got in my seat and pushed the button one the panel, extending the jacks and god only knows what else he pushed. The noise seems to be related to the drive shaft some how. I never use the cruise control it never seemed to work. The noise happens when there is a decrease in speed as in letting your foot off the accelerator or when going downhill, it will stop if you accelerate again. This RV was purchased in this condition, I thought it was caused by driving on the "rumble strip" on the side of the road when we test drove it but turns out that was not it. We took it to a diesel truck yard and had all new tires put on, and fluids, brakes, etc checked. The owner ( a Monaco coach owner) drove it and thought it was the rear differential and advised it be evaluated which it was. That truck shop examined the parts and said they were all ok but it still makes the same noise. Thank you so much for your contact!

Re: 99 Safari Zanzibar Acceleration and Deceleration Loud Noise

I have both 99 Safari Zanzibar manual and the owner's manual if anyone should need any of the pages.
TDJohn

Post by TDJohn »

Something to check it the park brake. If I recall correctly, the newer Zanzibars used a disk brake system instead of the brake drum. For what ever reason, some of those disk park brake models would not fully release, cause the pads to wear out. It is possible that the worn pads are rubbing metal on metal against the disc rotor. It is also possible that one or both of your rear brake calipers are sticking with worn out pads rubbing metal on metal. If you are lacking power, your exhaust brake could be stuck on/closed, this would cause a lot of loud hissing and back pressure. All this needs to be investigated and ruled out. The shop should be able to get the coach in the air, or at least the rear wheels and put the coach in gear, to see if they can replicate the noise while it is in the shop...
John
'95 Serengeti, Cummins C8.3-300
Allison 6spd.
Safariowner

Post by Safariowner »

We had a fuel problem on our 98 Serengeti and had to have it towed to a shop. I started noticing a vibration whenever I let off the throttle soon after. Everything looked fine but it had not had that vibration before. Drove it and had it inspected everytime we were in a shop. Then I remembered that I had the same problem on one of my street rods years ago, figured out that the drive line was not "clocked" correctly. Remembered that when it had been towed they removed the drive line. Had Redlands check if this was the problem and it was. Cheep fix and no more vibration.
I spoke with another Safari owner at a rally several years ago and he had had the same problem. He spent all kinds of money at several shops until a mechanic figured out the drive line wasn't installed correctly. Again, cheep fix.
Hope this helps.
Ed and Brenda
1999 4006 Continental
Ex: 1998 3706 Serengeti
Ex: 1993 33' Serengeti

TDJohn wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 10:02 pm Something to check it the park brake. If I recall correctly, the newer Zanzibars used a disk brake system instead of the brake drum. For what ever reason, some of those disk park brake models would not fully release, cause the pads to wear out. It is possible that the worn pads are rubbing metal on metal against the disc rotor. It is also possible that one or both of your rear brake calipers are sticking with worn out pads rubbing metal on metal. If you are lacking power, your exhaust brake could be stuck on/closed, this would cause a lot of loud hissing and back pressure. All this needs to be investigated and ruled out. The shop should be able to get the coach in the air, or at least the rear wheels and put the coach in gear, to see if they can replicate the noise while it is in the shop...
TDJohn I think you might be spot on, I thought it might be with the brake or transmission because of the noise. No vibration just noise. I took it to Yancey today because they are the only shop I could find that would work on a CAT. He said it would take a week for them to check it out. I'll keep you all posted.

I also found my manuals for the Safari and show some where that someone was looking for the 99. I'll post them here, is there another place I should post them? it will only allow the zanzibar manual, the motor coach manual is too large.
Attachments
SafariZanzibarManuel.pdf
(6.79 MiB) Downloaded 131 times

Here is what they found wrong with my coach, Both rear suspension air bags are busted and a leveling valve. We are working on getting parts pricing now. Now the problem is finding the air bags,

9809 NBD-9611

firestone 1t15m6 air spring

If anyone know where I an find these to speed up the repair of my RV would be greatly appreciated,
stuplich@ymail.com

Post by stuplich@ymail.com »

Mel
'96 Sahara 3530, mine since '01
250 hp 3126 Cat, MD3060 Allison

Thanks for the help, all is well.