Shop in the PNW for Magnum Chassis?

Pretty much everything on the bottom side of the coach: Steering, wheels, tires, brakes, suspension
stemo76

Shop in the PNW for Magnum Chassis?

Post by stemo76 »

Anybody know of a shop that will look over my magnum air ride chassis and perform an alignment? I am in Everett, WA.

I was hoping Dynamic Diesel & Bear Alignment would do it out of Snohomish but I guess they have been out of an alignment tech all year.
2000 Harney Renegade 38ft
stuplich@ymail.com

Re: Shop in the PNW for Magnum Chassis?

Post by stuplich@ymail.com »

Mel
'96 Sahara 3530, mine since '01
250 hp 3126 Cat, MD3060 Allison
Huetarded

Post by Huetarded »

We currently have ours over at Motor Trucks International near the flats on the north end of Everett.

Not totally sure about alignment, but we are getting some new airbags put in, brakes serviced and they are also doing all the normal maintenance stuff (oil, fluids, filters, etc.) while it's there.

We had not been there before, and the reviews were a bit mixed online, but so far they have been super nice and very transparent about everything.
Current:  2000 Safari Serengeti 3706
Past:  2008 Keystone Outback 27FQBS towed by 2005 Suburban 2500 8.1L
Ham: KF7TNN / GMRS: WROS290
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

I had chassis work done at Gitt's Spring in Auburn WA several years ago. King pin replacement, overhaul of the steering box, and alignment. It is a small shop with a very dedicated staff. I was pleased with the work and the charges seemed reasonable.
Glenn B.
1997 Safari Continental 4006
CAT 3126 330
stemo76

Post by stemo76 »

Huetarded wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:53 am We currently have ours over at Motor Trucks International near the flats on the north end of Everett.

Not totally sure about alignment, but we are getting some new airbags put in, brakes serviced and they are also doing all the normal maintenance stuff (oil, fluids, filters, etc.) while it's there.

We had not been there before, and the reviews were a bit mixed online, but so far they have been super nice and very transparent about everything.
Let us know how it goes and if you think the pricing is fair.
stemo76

Post by stemo76 »

Glenn wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:40 pm I had chassis work done at Gitt's Spring in Auburn WA several years ago. King pin replacement, overhaul of the steering box, and alignment. It is a small shop with a very dedicated staff. I was pleased with the work and the charges seemed reasonable.
Thanks, I will keep it in mind. The local RV dealers referred me to Chucks here in Everett. Will be getting the alignment done tomorrow. We will see what they say and how well it turns out.
wolfe10

Post by wolfe10 »

Be sure they do it in the right sequence:

Tires to proper PSI

Ride height to spec

Front end alignment with caster near high end of spec

Verify that rear axle is in-line (not dog tracking).
Brett and Dianne Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'. Ex 1997 Safari Sahara. Ex 1993 Foretravel U240
Moderator, FMCA Forums 2009-2020
Chairman, FMCA Technical Advisory Committee 2011- 2020
Moderator, http://www.dieselrvclub.org/ (FMCA chapter) 2002-
stemo76

Post by stemo76 »

Thanks,

I have checked tire pressure but didn't think about ride height. I have air suspension and I don't know what spec is.

I don't see any movement on the air supply valves to indicate that its changed but next time I am parked on a nice level spot I will take some measurements.

I had the alignment and suspension done yesterday. It didn't seem to make much of a change. They adjusted toe and didn't find any parts that needed to be replaced.

They said there is no adjustment for caster and camber as its an i beam axle. I guess ride height will slightly affect caster.

Suggested rotating tires in the front to see what happens. I currently have a light pull to the right.
wolfe10

Post by wolfe10 »

On a solid front axle, camber can only be adjusted by bending the axle, so, I agree with them.

But (OK large BUT) caster is adjusted by wedge shaped shims.

And, they didn't confirm proper ride height???

So, what were the before and after readings from the alignment:

Camber L R
Caster L R
Toe
Brett and Dianne Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'. Ex 1997 Safari Sahara. Ex 1993 Foretravel U240
Moderator, FMCA Forums 2009-2020
Chairman, FMCA Technical Advisory Committee 2011- 2020
Moderator, http://www.dieselrvclub.org/ (FMCA chapter) 2002-
stemo76

Post by stemo76 »

wolfe10 wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:42 pm On a solid front axle, camber can only be adjusted by bending the axle, so, I agree with them.

But (OK large BUT) caster is adjusted by wedge shaped shims.

And, they didn't confirm proper ride height???

So, what were the before and after readings from the alignment:

Camber L R
Caster L R
Toe
I didn't get the specs before/after like a normal alignment shop. Not sure this was the best shop to take it to. Just got a 200 bill and a paper that said adjust toe caster camber where applicable and test drive.

There are paint pen marks on the rods to adjust ride height I did see that all that is still lined up but will measure to be sure when I am not parked on crushed rock.