Shop in the PNW for Magnum Chassis?

Pretty much everything on the bottom side of the coach: Steering, wheels, tires, brakes, suspension
bmaillet66

Re: Shop in the PNW for Magnum Chassis?

Post by bmaillet66 »

Try Western States Cat, Don't know where they are on that side of the mountains, I'm in Eastern WA.. They did my chase last year in Spokane.
Huetarded

Post by Huetarded »

[Wife of Huetarded responding...} Hello, I feel like the pricing was fair, given the high costs around here and the timing with global manufacturing/shipping delays.

Total bill, including tax, environmental / disposal, and labor: $5,327

The prices below are pre-tax:
1. Engine inspection and servicing, $379
2. Not entirely sure what this line item is, includes washer fluid and non-chlorinated something: $8
3. Air filter (needed to be freighted in from AK): $716 (labor $240)
4. Inspect / service brakes, including replacing one cracked rotor and melted abs sensor: $1648
5. Airbag inspection of all eight airbags, replacement of one airbag ($266 for like-for-like Goodyear): $789 (I've had others say this is high, which for just replacement it is, but it was not just replacement - it was also visual inspection and leak tests)
6. Generator service: $278
7. Coolant flush: $436
8. Air leak from an air valve in rear engine service compartment (diagnose and repair): $422

Our tax here in Everett / Snohomish County, WA, is close to 10%... so I won't bore everyone with that part of the bill :D

I hope that is helpful. Like my husband noted, they were very transparent every step of the way. They even moved our coach inside during the heavy rainstorm at the beginning of the month. I have personally been really pleased with their communication, talking us through issues and various options, transparency about pricing and requesting approval BEFORE moving forward, and a very clean, well-maintained shop. This shop appears to focus on semis and other heavy equipment, though we did see some other (newer) RVs there along with the trucks of recognizable name brands. Other places we spoke with were about 6-8 weeks out on work, whereas this place was able to get us in quickly.

I hope that is helpful!

Lauren
stemo76 wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:50 am
Huetarded wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:53 am We currently have ours over at Motor Trucks International near the flats on the north end of Everett.

Not totally sure about alignment, but we are getting some new airbags put in, brakes serviced and they are also doing all the normal maintenance stuff (oil, fluids, filters, etc.) while it's there.

We had not been there before, and the reviews were a bit mixed online, but so far they have been super nice and very transparent about everything.
Let us know how it goes and if you think the pricing is fair.
Current:  2000 Safari Serengeti 3706
Past:  2008 Keystone Outback 27FQBS towed by 2005 Suburban 2500 8.1L
Ham: KF7TNN / GMRS: WROS290
TDJohn

Post by TDJohn »

By your feedback, it sounds like the shop has good customer care, but some of the prices seem high.

What is their hourly shop rate?

Brakes service seems bit high, how much did the rotor and sensor cost?

Air bags are not hard nor time consuming to inspect, so the labor seems on the high side.

The air leak in the service bay repair is very high. Those are low cost type of parts that are not hard to replace

The air filter I am perplexed about. Cummins' Fleetguard brand is available on line for under $200 from various outfits including Amazon, and the replacement is not time consuming. Other brands like Wix/NAPA, Baldwin, and Donaldson are also available for similar price, so $549 for the filter is a lot, and the labor to install is on the high side too. The other items seem to be in the average ballpark.

Price example of the air filter. It is the type that is replaced as a whole unit, including the filter housing.

https://shop.moderngroup.com/ah19014-ai ... r-housing/

In any case, thank you for the feedback, and I'm glad that your service/repairs went smoothly.

Safe Travels,
John
'95 Serengeti, Cummins C8.3-300
Allison 6spd.