Shocks or airlift bags for 2005 30PDD W22

Pretty much everything on the bottom side of the coach: Steering, wheels, tires, brakes, suspension
markus53

Re: Shocks or airlift bags for 2005 30PDD W22

Post by markus53 »

All - thanks for all your excellent advice. I've pretty much settled on having the Konis installed to address the porpoising.

But I'd like your advise about the relative priority of some other upgrades. I'm asking because of what I've read on some of the other forums. Specifically, please share your thoughts about the sequence for the following -

- Safe T Plus or comparable steering stabilizer for the front
- rear track bar vs. rear aftermarket anti-sway bar. Any thoughts on make? such as supersteer vs. roadmaster?
- front anti-sway bar
- sumo springs (front? rear?)
- replace stock coil springs with heavier aftermarket springs

Thanks, in advance, for your help. It is making the discussions here in the home much easier with the wife.
----------------
Novice with 2005 Simba 30ft.
Workhorse 8.1L GM engine 35K miles
Milwaukie, OR
wolfe10

Post by wolfe10 »

wolfe10 wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 11:22 am
markus53 wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:30 am They asked for my VIN (how reassuring is that?) and they advised me that I have a P32 chassis. OK!
Very easy to verify P vs W chassis.

Look under the front of the coach.

A P will have independent front suspension (will look like an overgrown version of a Chevy PU suspension with upper and lower A arms.

A W chassis will have a solid front axle.

COMPLETELY different suspensions.
Have you confirmed that you do have the P chassis?

Have you checked for play in the steering linkage (easy and free to do)?

What PSI is currently in your front air bags (inside coil springs on P chassis)? This materially affects front end alignment.

Considering add on's before verifying that everything is as it should be is a WASTE of money.

Are you running tire pressure speced by your tire manufacturer for your actual wheel position or axle weights? This will effect both ride and handling.

Particularly if a long rear overhang/short WB/OL ratio (wheelbase to overall length ratio), a rear track bar=panhard rod makes a good first upgrade.
Last edited by wolfe10 on Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brett and Dianne Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'. Ex 1997 Safari Sahara. Ex 1993 Foretravel U240
Moderator, FMCA Forums 2009-2020
Chairman, FMCA Technical Advisory Committee 2011- 2020
Moderator, http://www.dieselrvclub.org/ (FMCA chapter) 2002-
chuckster

Post by chuckster »

Brett Wolfe has a LOT of helpful information given through his contributions across many RV sites. His recommendation of IRV2.com is without question the BEST RV site in my opinion outside of this Safari-specific forum.

All of those components you listed will affect ride and steering. Before you throw a ton of money into the suspension/steering components, carefully consider doing them in phases, shocks first (per Safarifriends and Henderson's). At some point, the returns on handling and ride smoothness may have diminishing returns (not very noticeable results for the $ invested). I would definitely have Henderson's RIDE/DRIVE the coach so they have skin in the game for any recommendations. That way if they say "X" will be solved or improved, then if it does not, then they should be on the hook. Saying "this will help" or "this should help" is not a guarantee that you will agree on how much "help" was experienced for the money with your comparing the before to the afterwards results. Now, if you save labor costs because "we already had to take 'X' apart while we were in there doing 'Y' may make your decision to do more than one thing at a time easier due to labor costs. However, if trying to go from "scary to drive" to "a stable drive" is more important than dropping the money all at once to go to "comfy, cushy, cadillac-ride with Indy car steering precision" that may never happen in a 2005 coach no matter how much money you throw at it.

My point is, it is a trade off between money spent and dividends received. While you could EASILY put $5K into the suspension/steering, why not attack and solve the porposing issue first and then attack any steering issues that remain afterwards? Bouncing around is no fun and making steering worse but if you have obviously worn bushings and such that will be an easy fix.

The good news is the next forum member here or on IRV2 is going to come along in a few days or weeks and give you more ideas, advice and places to spend your money! :D
Chuck & Mitzi
'01 Safari Zanzibar 3646 (side entry)
Cat 3126B / Allison MD3060
Magnum M-Series "Blue Max" chassis
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland toad
markus53

Post by markus53 »

Chuck.
Such wisdom in your post. Thanks. Helps to provide perspective and patience.
Mark
----------------
Milwaukie, OR
chuckster

Post by chuckster »

Glad I could help add a perspective. You’ll get this handled.
Chuck & Mitzi
'01 Safari Zanzibar 3646 (side entry)
Cat 3126B / Allison MD3060
Magnum M-Series "Blue Max" chassis
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland toad
markus53

Post by markus53 »

Here's how it turned out. I did both and the result was fantastic. This coach drives like a dream. Completely worth every penny!
----------------
Milwaukie, OR
TDJohn

Post by TDJohn »

When you say that you did both with good results. Can you please elaborate what you actually did? I assume you replaced the shocks, but what is the other thing you did?

If you did replace the shocks, can you please post the brand and part numbers? This info will be helpful to others with similar issues.
John
'95 Serengeti, Cummins C8.3-300
Allison 6spd.