Shocks or airlift bags for 2005 30PDD W22

Pretty much everything on the bottom side of the coach: Steering, wheels, tires, brakes, suspension
markus53

Shocks or airlift bags for 2005 30PDD W22

Post by markus53 »

Greetings experienced Safari owners. I am a newby with many questions. I've learned a lot from the threads I've read and am turning to all of you for your advice. Our 2005 Simba has about 34,000 miles on it. We've only taken it out twice and the last trip was sometimes stressful, due to being routed on a narrow, twisty, poorly paved road. We experienced some extreme porpoising and I'm trying to determine whether a set of new airlift bags will be sufficient or whether I need new shocks all around. And if I need new shocks, I want to confirm which ones to order.

The previous owner came close to replacing the air bags but cancelled his order. On smooth roads the coach drives nice. But speed bumps and transitions can cause the porpoising. From the research it looks like we have a W22 chassis and the Air Lift 1000, no. 81560 bags are the correct ones. I am not particularly handy but have watched a couple of youtube videos where brave souls were successful with the project. Has anyone else here done this project? How big of an impact did it have on porpoising?

Alternatively, I have read here about the benefit of new shocks. I expect they would be a major improvement. But would I still need to do the airbags? There are always tradeoffs. The wife has said she only wants to do the airbags, due to their lower cost. But if the coach were riding better and easier to drive and less stressful and we were able to tow a vehicle she might think the additional costs were worth it.

How hard is it for a novice to install new shocks? Is it a major hassle?

To summarize my questions -
1. airbags - are they "must do" or "nice to do"/
2. any prediction about their impact on porpoising?
3. which shocks are the correct ones for my coach? And how hard are they for a novice to put on?

Thanks, in advance, for any advice anyone cares to share..
----------------
Novice with 2005 Simba 30ft.
Workhorse 8.1L GM engine 35K miles
Milwaukie, OR
Safaritoonces

Re: Shocks or airlift bags for 2005 30PDD W22

Post by Safaritoonces »

My 2000 Continental suffered from the same diving, rolling bounding all over the road. I posted a project with all the details on this site. Or follow the link in my signature.

I don't think changing the air bags will make any difference. The air bags are the equivalent of springs. What stops the bouncing is the shocks. I had Bilsteins and replaced these with Koni's. The difference was remarkable. My Bilsteins were single acting but the Koni's are double acting and weigh about twice as much. If you have air bags you can set the ride height. Too high and you will get a lot more rolling. Before changing the shocks the driving was down right terrifying, especially at night. Changing them is very easy, just make sure you get the right model for your unit. Its in the video I did.
Last edited by Safaritoonces on Sun Oct 23, 2022 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robert and Bev Lewis
2000 Safari Continental, since 2017
3126B Cat, 330hp
MD3060 Allison
Bowen Island, BC

https://safaritoonces.org/
markus53

Post by markus53 »

Robert,
Thanks. I have spent some time on your blog but will return for a much closer look. Thank you for your comments. They are really appreciated. BTW, I'm unfamiliar with all the different names of the various makes and models of motor homes. Were you implying that the model of shock absorbers you put on your coach would be right for me to put on mine?
Mark
----------------
Milwaukie, OR
chuckster

Post by chuckster »

First off, welcome to Safarifriends. Next, congratulations on your Safari coach purchase and that you found this web site. LOTS of experience here and if someone doesn’t know something you ask, chances are they will direct you to somewhere you can find it.

There are tons of info here on the Koni shock swap here. Just search “Koni”. I did the swap just about a year ago on the Zanzibar 3646 I’ve had just a tad over two years now and have put about 5,000 miles on them since. While I wouldn’t say there is a fantastic or remarkable difference, I will say there was a noticeable, marked difference and I am happy with the dollar output for satisfaction gained. Others here have had a huge improvement; your mileage may vary but is likely a worthy dollar spent considering they may be the original shocks. I do not have air bags on my ‘01 Zanzie which has the BF Goodrich suspension on the Blue Max chassis.

Good luck,
Chuck & Mitzi
'01 Safari Zanzibar 3646 (side entry)
Cat 3126B / Allison MD3060
Magnum M-Series "Blue Max" chassis
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland toad
markus53

Post by markus53 »

Chuck,

Thank you for your friendly post. And your general encouragement on this project.

This morning I was able to track down some information which has made me feel more confident in this project.

First off, some background. I had found my way to the Hendersons Line-up website and read many enthusiastic reviews of their capability. Last night I told my wife I thought we needed to take our coach there to have them evaluate it and perform the upgrades. But this morning when I was searching around on their website it looked like, for my coach, they were mainly showing Bilsteins for the front. They showed a Koni model for the rear but only Bilstein options for the front. Puzzling. They also showed Sumo springs and various anti-sway bars and tracking kits that I'm sure would be fantastic.

Then I did a simple search on "Koni front shocks W22" and found an up to date link to shockwarehouse.com where they had Koni models associated with the Workhorse W22 chassis for various time periods. They show the Koni FSD 8805-1001 for the fronts and -1002s for the rear. Which jives with the other info I've read here. I was just concerned that, with the typical product line evolution and changes in part numbers and "use in place of" type into that those numbers were no longer in the product line up. Good to know they still are. Though the prices have gone up quite a bit.

Anyway, thanks for your help.
Markus
----------------
Milwaukie, OR
Safaritoonces

Post by Safaritoonces »

Hi Mark

I am fairly certain that Koni will have shocks for your coach. They are the premier supplier of shocks. Call and verify the exact model. It is all based on weigh, pin/bolt size in the eye and length. I would suggest using all the same shocks and not to mix and match. The difference in handling was remarkable. Bill Edwards and John gave me a lot of help throughout the process. It is a very simple install. I had to grind a couple of the bushings to fit but it was a trival change and didn't affect the integrity of the sjock. I am guessing but I think someone bent a couole of my brackets slightly.
Robert and Bev Lewis
2000 Safari Continental, since 2017
3126B Cat, 330hp
MD3060 Allison
Bowen Island, BC

https://safaritoonces.org/
chuckster

Post by chuckster »

At the time I shopped and bought my 4 Koni’s, a search everywhere came up with Summit Racing Equipment as the least expensive place with free shipping. Imagine my surprise. They came shipped directly from Koni. I had them installed by my local CAT shop while the coach was in for some other needed maintenance. I think I paid $150 for all 4 to be installed; worth it for me at the time. They ARE adjustable and I suggest you start off with the stiffest setting. I set them, gave to the mechanic at the shop and said “DO NOT ADJUST THEM. They are set where I want them”.

Good luck!
Chuck & Mitzi
'01 Safari Zanzibar 3646 (side entry)
Cat 3126B / Allison MD3060
Magnum M-Series "Blue Max" chassis
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland toad
wolfe10

Post by wolfe10 »

Sadly, we are getting a lot good information, BUT (large BUT) it is likely to be misleading for the OP.

Good advice for a diesel pusher suspension is really not relevant for a Workhorse W22 chassis and may mislead the OP.

For W22 chassis related questions, you may be better off asking on a forum with a lot more W22 owners.

iRV2 would be one alternative.

Here is one thread: https://www.irv2.com/forums/f22/2002-w2 ... 19514.html
Brett and Dianne Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'. Ex 1997 Safari Sahara. Ex 1993 Foretravel U240
Moderator, FMCA Forums 2009-2020
Chairman, FMCA Technical Advisory Committee 2011- 2020
Moderator, http://www.dieselrvclub.org/ (FMCA chapter) 2002-
markus53

Post by markus53 »

Wow. Thank you all for you replies. And the link to the irv website. Very helpful.

This morning I was on the phone with Hendersons Line-Up. They asked for my VIN (how reassuring is that?) and they advised me that I have a P32 chassis. OK! To address the porpoising they recommended Koni shocks and also possibly new springs up front that would not require airbags.

So much to learn! I'm really looking forward to getting the MH upgraded and back out on the road.

Thanks, all for your support. This place is awesome.
----------------
Milwaukie, OR
wolfe10

Post by wolfe10 »

markus53 wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:30 am They asked for my VIN (how reassuring is that?) and they advised me that I have a P32 chassis. OK!
Very easy to verify P vs W chassis.

Look under the front of the coach.

A P will have independent front suspension (will look like an overgrown version of a Chevy PU suspension with upper and lower A arms.

A W chassis will have a solid front axle.

COMPLETELY different suspensions.
Brett and Dianne Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'. Ex 1997 Safari Sahara. Ex 1993 Foretravel U240
Moderator, FMCA Forums 2009-2020
Chairman, FMCA Technical Advisory Committee 2011- 2020
Moderator, http://www.dieselrvclub.org/ (FMCA chapter) 2002-