Wheel Simulators

Pretty much everything on the bottom side of the coach: Steering, wheels, tires, brakes, suspension
Holoholo

Wheel Simulators

Post by Holoholo »

We had our tires rotated in CO, and the truck place messed up which led to simulator falling off on the freeway. I did retrieve them lucky.
My question is:
Do all wheel studs require a lug nut before the (original) simulator lug, or can the (2) simulator lugs be used in place of the wheel lug AND simulator lug before installing the simulator and securing the nut?
The Right Rear is the one in question and only has 1 thread to put the simulator lug extension on the stud (which is why it fell off on the freeway).

Thanks in advance,

Troy
2000 Safari Zanzibar 3886
Troy Townsend
2000 Safari Zanzibar (since 2018)
3126B
TOAD- 2018 Jeep Wrangler
05wingrider

Re: Wheel Simulators

Post by 05wingrider »

Troy, the wheel simulator studs have to go on top of the existing wheel studs - that's the way they are designed. Plus, your wheel lug nuts are torqued to 450 ftlbs - slightly more than your simulator (mine are snug, and that's it). You don't say if you have any kind of valve stem extensions - that would be the limiting factor on rotating your wheel simulators to a different stud that maybe had a little bit more thread showing on it. It doesn't take much of a thread to hold the simulator nuts onto the wheel, but I find it strange that you've only got 1 thread showing like that. I've got 1 short stud on a front wheel, but it's not one that the simulator nut hooks to, so it's never been an issue for me.

My other question is - did you have issue before having your tires rotated? If not, I'd be concerned as to what they did to create this new issue for you. I would take a good look and see if you have some lug nuts that are thinner in depth than the rest of them (odd, but possible).
Duane
96 Sahara 30', 250hp Cat 3126
Allison 6spd MD-3060
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk "Toad"
Spokane WA