steering box leaking fluid

Pretty much everything on the bottom side of the coach: Steering, wheels, tires, brakes, suspension
KleinNOLE

steering box leaking fluid

Post by KleinNOLE »

had it rebuilt 10 years ago. was on the road in the panhandle of Florida and a mobile mechanic handled it. sent it to Michigan took about 10 days. any help where I can send it away would be greatly appreciated...

1998 Safari Sahara
TDJohn

Re: steering box leaking fluid

Post by TDJohn »

I did some digging in the old Safari files, and this is the name that came up. I know there was also an outfit in TX and OH that rebuilt the Sheppard M80 steering boxes that we have, but can't seem to find it. I will do some more digging when I have a chance. I would suggest to call them and not deal on line, this way you can describe to them what you issue is, what brand and model gear box you have, etc.

https://www.redheadsteeringgears.com/
John
'95 Serengeti, Cummins C8.3-300
Allison 6spd.
billybob

Post by billybob »

I rebuilt mine. The kit of seals cost about $100. I did have to buy a big pitman arm puller for another $100. It is heavy so that makes the job more challenging. Took me about a day but then it was my first time and I'm not as fast as I once was. It did stop the leak.
1993 Safari Ivory 3430
Oshkosh VC-22, Cummins 8.3 with Banks Stinger Kit
6 Speed Allison World Transmission, Leaf Springs
jcking

Post by jcking »

hi, I repaired a leaking steering box,I had to purchase a seal kit , but I only used 3 seals that went on the sector shaft, I just loosened up those bolts on the side , then started it up and the pressure opened it , just have a big pan ready, there was a you tube video on this. no puller needed and you dont have to take it off. 3 truck companies would not do it , so that makes an amateur like myself feel good. Jim king, 97 serengeti, 300 cat, 6 spd allison
Jim King
97 serengeti
300 cat. 6 spd allison
JimBinMI

Post by JimBinMI »

My father in law found a leak from the steering box while working on the 2000 Safari Sahara M-3506 that I'm supposed to leave from Michigan to Florida tomorrow morning to drive home on Thursday. He says there's a soft panel on one side that's leaking and he thinks that the fluid is also tied to the fluid in the brakes. Is that correct?
Anyone know what brand/part number this would be and if he could get parts near Zephyrhills, FL?
Thanks,
Jim
Sharongeti

Post by Sharongeti »

Steering box. I did the same as the last post. It seems the big o ring is the main culprit for leaking. I loosened the bolts. Fired it up and leaked fluid everywhere. L OL. Fairly easy job for an amateur like me!
TDJohn

Post by TDJohn »

JimBinMI wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:38 pm My father in law found a leak from the steering box while working on the 2000 Safari Sahara M-3506 that I'm supposed to leave from Michigan to Florida tomorrow morning to drive home on Thursday. He says there's a soft panel on one side that's leaking and he thinks that the fluid is also tied to the fluid in the brakes. Is that correct?
Anyone know what brand/part number this would be and if he could get parts near Zephyrhills, FL?
Thanks,
Jim
Jim, the hydraulic fluid is separate from your brake fluid, but the hydraulic fluid (Dextron III) is shared with the brake hydroboost system.
I don't know the part numbers you need, but the gearbox is a Sheppard M-80, so you should be able to source parts fairly easily...
John
'95 Serengeti, Cummins C8.3-300
Allison 6spd.
JimBinMI

Post by JimBinMI »

Here's a pic of the point of leakage. Looks like that rubber piece has a hole in it and it belongs there because the same piece in a rebuilt kit appears to have the same hole/vent. Can anyone verify that this part comes off of a Sheppard M80 Steering Box. Father in law hasn't removed the steering box yet, just this cover.
Thanks,
Jim
Attachments
IMG_0875.jpeg
IMG_0875.jpeg (946.59 KiB) Viewed 22827 times
jcking

Post by jcking »

good morning, that soft cover is just a dust cover, you do not have to remove the whole steering box, just the sector shaft behind that plate, and replace 3 seals that are on and inside it It is an M-80, and it will not leak. Jim KIng, 97 serengeti, 300 cat 6 spd allison
Jim King
97 serengeti
300 cat. 6 spd allison
1Lotosrggp

Post by 1Lotosrggp »

https://www.rhsheppard.com/service-and- ... bulletins/

Poke around they also have parts and. videos
Tom
97 Sahara 3550
3126 CAT 300hp