steering box leaking fluid

Pretty much everything on the bottom side of the coach: Steering, wheels, tires, brakes, suspension
JimBinMI

Re: steering box leaking fluid

Post by JimBinMI »

Thank you!
astrnmrtom

Post by astrnmrtom »

For anyone in the future who has this problem and is stuck somewhere on the road for lack of a seal kit, there is a workaround that will get you home. You'll need to go to a hardware store to pick up a piece of aluminum or steel plate large enough to make another cover. Doesn't have to be a thick as the factory one. Then, using the existing cover as a template, drill bolt holes in the new plate, but DO NOT drill the small weep hole, then install the new plate with some sealer or gasket material. This will stop the leak until you can replace the seals. From what I read some people have left the new cover in place and never needed to replace the seals. Mine hasn't leaked yet and I carry a small plate of aluminum for doing a field repair if needed.
Tom and Pris Masterson, w/ Buddy the 18 year old Siamese cat.
1998 Serengeti 3706
300hp Cat 3126, Allison 3060
900 Watts of Solar
17cf, Fisher & Paykel residential Refrigerator
Dragging four telescopes around the US seeking dark skies.
JimBinMI

Post by JimBinMI »

If I want to buy a rebuilt M80, how do I know which model that I need?
I see the following on a site that sells rebuilt steering boxes:
M80SAA
M80SAD
M80SAM
M80SAT
M80SAW

Thanks,
Jim
wolfe10

Post by wolfe10 »

JimBinMI wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 4:44 pm If I want to buy a rebuilt M80, how do I know which model that I need?
Jim
Jim,

Have you looked on the box itself for model numbers?
Brett and Dianne Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'. Ex 1997 Safari Sahara. Ex 1993 Foretravel U240
Moderator, FMCA Forums 2009-2020
Chairman, FMCA Technical Advisory Committee 2011- 2020
Moderator, http://www.dieselrvclub.org/ (FMCA chapter) 2002-
oldcobia

Post by oldcobia »

There is a small machined surface about 1-1.5 inches long that will have numbers stamped on it. It was difficult to find on mine but it's there. it should be visible while gear is in mounted position on frame.
1995 Safari Sahara 35’ 5.9 Cummins MD3060
JimBinMI

Post by JimBinMI »

Thank you!
JimBinMI

Post by JimBinMI »

For anyone in the future who has this problem and is stuck somewhere on the road for lack of a seal kit, there is a workaround that will get you home. You'll need to go to a hardware store to pick up a piece of aluminum or steel plate large enough to make another cover. Doesn't have to be a thick as the factory one. Then, using the existing cover as a template, drill bolt holes in the new plate, but DO NOT drill the small weep hole, then install the new plate with some sealer or gasket material. This will stop the leak until you can replace the seals. From what I read some people have left the new cover in place and never needed to replace the seals. Mine hasn't leaked yet and I carry a small plate of aluminum for doing a field repair if needed.
My father in law called Shepherd Tech Support and they said that the above temporary fix is perfectly fine to do.
KleinNOLE

Post by KleinNOLE »

So after taking all of the advise given I was able to fix my steering box. I opted to leave it attached to the rail... My box was leaking from the sector shaft seal on the bearing housing. I removed the pastic dust cover & 6 bolts holding the bearing and seal. Had to start the engine to use the pressure to get it to come off. literally just start & then stut off with in seconds...had kiddy pool under it for the mess. used a pic to get the seal out near the bearing and same pick to get the o-ring off outside of bearing housing. replaced the seal under the bearing and the o-ring on the outside. pushed housing back on shaft and got it close enough to start all 6 bolts then just tightened them a little at a time till housing resat on box. used my torq wrench to torq bolts to 60. I then refilled my reservoir and restarted the engine. steered entirely left & entirely right about 3 times each way and it is back to normal and no leak...Thanks to everyone who gave their experience it really did help!!!
ccastle

Post by ccastle »

It’s this the part you had to remove to get to the seals? Mine is currently leaking!!

download/file.php?id=935&sid=c1f30e5363 ... 99a92f70b9
Chuck, KD7UA
1998 Safari Sahara 3506 (since 9/2020)
Cat/Allison
Eodguy

Post by Eodguy »

I am new here and new to the motorhome life. Always had slide in truck campers. I really appreciate the posts on here. Most of the vehicle forums I have been on over the years everyone posts for help but never posts the final solution.
99 Serengiti