Auto parking break and levelers issues.

Pretty much everything on the bottom side of the coach: Steering, wheels, tires, brakes, suspension
eneriksen

Auto parking break and levelers issues.

Post by eneriksen »

I am new to this forum and I realize that my question actually could fall into three categories, so I chose Chassis as a starting point. While I've been RVing in my class C for decades I have recently inherited 1990, 38Ft, Safari Serengeti Ivory Hi-Tech Edition from my father. I am currently in AZ just south of the Grand Canyon where it has been parked and not driven for three years. I first replaced the D8 and house batteries and to my amazement I didn't even hear it crank when I turned the key, it was just running and purring like a kitten.

So now my current issue. I believe it is built on a GM chassis and has the "auto park" feature. It does have the brake assembly on the output shaft of the transmission. There is no Park position on the gear selector. Shifting into forward or reverse you can feel the transmission engage.

Also, on the left side of the lower dash black lever switch and red light labeled "Park". To the up position the lever is labeled "ON", down position labeled "Off". Neither position makes any noticeable difference.

By the way, I am working alone, with my dog, so it is difficult to be at multiple places in the rig at the same time. Hence, I need so help in understanding how some of these systems are supposed to work. And, of course, no owner's manual was included.

The second issue is with the "RVA Jacks" leveling system, and it may have something to do with the parking brake issue, I don't know.

When I turn on the key the red light, on the lower left side of the dash, flashes and the warning buzzer sounds (pulsing). On the floor to the left of the driver there is a RVA "console" with four knobs (only the "Extract" one turns), a toggle switch and three yellow lights in a diamond pattern two of which are on if the toggle switch is to the left. The third yellow light is always off. All lights are off when the toggle switch is to the right.

I have read about checking the fluid level at the pump, but first I have to find it.

I have hunted for documentation on my actual unit but with no luck so far.

Any help that someone could give me with information about how the parking brake, and especially the levelers, are supposed to work would be greatly appreciated.
eneriksen

Re: Auto parking break and levelers issues.

Post by eneriksen »

BTW, this is a diesel!
eneriksen

Re: Auto parking break and levelers issues.

Post by eneriksen »

Further update:
Reviewing other threads pointed me to the power steering pump and reservoir, which was pretty much empty. Filled it to its full level and the power steering definitely feels better.

As for the parking brake I would assume that the actuator, and there for, the brake shoes would be engaged with no fluid pressure being applied, as when the engine is off. However, what I find is that with the engine off I can wiggle the shoes by hand and move the driveshaft drum just slightly. With the engine running the shoes are tight and I cannot move the drum at all. Just the opposite of what I would expect a "parking brake" to do.

I suspect that there is a problem with the parking lever/valve on the dash.

My next step is to disable the brake actuator and see if the coach will move.