Toyo tires

Pretty much everything on the bottom side of the coach: Steering, wheels, tires, brakes, suspension
burdenh

Toyo tires

Post by burdenh »

I have been running Goodyear 9R22.5 tires but they have aged out. 2 questions: (1) Has anyone tried Toyo Regional Steer M170 tires? They are also listed as 9R22.5. (2) Has anyone used the balancing beads (as opposed to traditional wheel weights) for balancing these tires? Reference vehicle is 97 Safari Sahari, Cat 3126 300 hp.

Thank you.

Hubert
ricknhelenssafari

Re: Toyo tires

Post by ricknhelenssafari »

We just finished putting new 255/70 Toyo m122 all position tires with the balance beads on our 98 Sahara 3006. Truthfully I have not been out on the highway at high speeds yet, but so far they are smoother and quieter with no vibration than the BF Goodrich units they replaced that were lead weight balanced. The research I did indicated the Toyo's were about the best value for the money. Yokohamas were a bit higher on my list and are actually made in America but were too spendy in our area. Michelins were spendy with a capital S and in bold to boot. The Toyos were made in Japan for our size but even some of their products are US made. Checking the date codes on the Toyos they were all made in the same week and were only 5 months old so no old stock issues in our case thankfully. You have to watch out if you don't want to buy a tire made in China though because even some domestic names are made in China ( Cooper for one ). It appears,based on my experience, everyone is going to the beads. Just make sure you get a good quality bead as some are prone to clumping and/or disintegrating I've been told. Our local Goodyear dealer has a spin balancer capable of 22.5 and larger truck tires but they have gone to the beads because they no longer can get their machine calibrated and have had too many call backs on balance jobs.

Rick and Helen
98 Sahara 3006 (a shorty), 300 Cat, all the suspension stuff Ralph Andrews ever came up with, Trucenter stabilizer, heavy bumper, toolbox and spare tire on the front and Now it handles like a very big Porsche!
TDJohn

Post by TDJohn »

burdenh wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 11:21 am I have been running Goodyear 9R22.5 tires but they have aged out. 2 questions: (1) Has anyone tried Toyo Regional Steer M170 tires? They are also listed as 9R22.5. (2) Has anyone used the balancing beads (as opposed to traditional wheel weights) for balancing these tires? Reference vehicle is 97 Safari Sahari, Cat 3126 300 hp.

Thank you.

Hubert
Many are running Toyo tires on their coaches. They are a good tire, although Goodyear tires seem to age the best. You can easily push them 10 years without any whether checking or cracking on the sidewalls. That said, those are have been my observations and experience over many years, obviously if you are in the really hot climates you have to check the tires over really good and make your own assessments and decisions.

Also, if you want a tire with the same diameter as your 9R22.5 but want more of a higher weight load cushion, then consider upgrading to tire size 265/75R22.5. You will be able to run it at lower psi compared to your 9Rs which will give you a smoother ride and more safety cushion. BTW, I run the 265s on my coach and they have been working out really well.
John
'95 Serengeti, Cummins C8.3-300
Allison 6spd.
burdenh

Post by burdenh »

ricknhelensafari and TD John,

Thanks for sharing your valuable insight on Toyo tires. Safe Travels.

Hubert Burden